• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

69 Bus Route

Mark Tooze

master brummie
I've found some random photos taken during the 70's and the 80's of buses on the 69 route (Lozells via Wheeler Street) - I've tried to piece them together in geographical rather than chronological order:-
Firstly looking towards the old Lucas factory across New John St West when it was still a normal road instead of a dual carriageway:-
1637588038952.png

Bus carries on around Great King Street to the junction with New John St West:-
1637588194248.png
1637588236697.png

Now we are at the corner of Great King Street and Unett Street - one going in each direction:-
1637588382999.png
1637588455924.png

With a little digital manipulation we can have both in the same shot:-
1637590359970.png

Last edited:
Now at the bus stop at the bottom of Unett Street:-
1637588652931.png

We move up to Great Hampton Row - outside the gates to the old St. Georges Church and the Little Brown Jug pub is in the background (apologies for the flare on the right side of the picture):-
1637588779264.png

Now outside St. Georges School, near the junction with Smith Street and Harford Street - school caretakers house is on the left:-
1637588884200.png

brilliant mark...love the ones of the great joseph lucas factory sadly no longer there...you have also got my old flat in one of the shots and ive been looking at the faces because mom and dad lived in uxbridge st from 71 until 2010...dad was in the little brown jug a lot..mind you he was in most of the pubs around there lol...again mostly all gone now...i can only think of 4 pubs out of many in that little area that are still open..brings back memories of happy days when the area was worth living in

cheers

Last edited:
brilliant mark...love the ones of the great joseph lucas factory sadly no longer there...you have also go my old flat in one of the shots and ive been looking at the faces because mom and dad lived in uxbridge st from 71 until 2010...dad was in the little brown jug a lot..mind you he was in most of the pubs around there lol...again mostly all gone now...i can only think of 4 pubs out of many in that little area that are still open..brings back memories of happy days when the area was worth living in

cheers
These are the shops next to the Little Brown Jug (its off licence is at the left) - copied many years from a photo in Birmingham Reference Library. If I remember correctly, from the left - Co-Op supermarket , a door to an upstairs hairdressers, Dots Hardware, Dillons Newsagent, Harry Capewells Butchers / Greengrocers and Lloyds grocers, run by the wonderful Mrs Lloyd and her family. Later on, another set of shops was built next to Lloyds - these were (I think - please correct me anyone if I am wrong!!!) in order - a post office, "The Market" (a second grocers also run by the Lloyd family), a betting shop, Winfields greengrocers (does anyone remember the owner Bert calling everyone "Miss"?) and a shoe & bag shop (the name of which I cannot remember). Then finally a third block was built, including a laundrette and a chippy. Does anyone else have any photos of theses shops please?
1637591528838.png

My dad worked at the Great King Street branch of Joseph Lucas Ltd from 1940 until his retirement in 1958 - long before those wonderful 69 bus photos were taken. I recall his showing me the "shop floor" where he worked when I was about seven years old.

These are the shops next to the Little Brown Jug (its off licence is at the left) - copied many years from a photo in Birmingham Reference Library. If I remember correctly, from the left - Co-Op supermarket , a door to an upstairs hairdressers, Dots Hardware, Dillons Newsagent, Harry Capewells Butchers / Greengrocers and Lloyds grocers, run by the wonderful Mrs Lloyd and her family. Later on, another set of shops was built next to Lloyds - these were (I think - please correct me anyone if I am wrong!!!) in order - a post office, "The Market" (a second grocers also run by the Lloyd family), a betting shop, Winfields greengrocers (does anyone remember the owner Bert calling everyone "Miss"?) and a shoe & bag shop (the name of which I cannot remember). Then finally a third block was built, including a laundrette and a chippy. Does anyone else have any photos of theses shops please?
View attachment 164227
great mark...yes i remember all of those shops mentioned and dont forget roys the butchers...bert was a great character...used to go in for veg and whenever we handed him a cabbage he would always say..."thats a lovely bit of virgin cabbage" funny how some things stick with you forever also our mom used to work in the outdoor at the little brown jug

lyn

Before the new shops above were built, I believe Lloyds and Capewells had shops on the other side of Gt. Hampton Row - can anyone tell me if they were the same people who ran the old and new businesses (photos copied from West Midlands Pubs website):-
1638889556157.png
1638889642929.png

Back