• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion (Six Triple Eight)

Steve Wright

proper brummie kid
The Six Triple Eight was an all-Black, all-female, US Women's Army Corps unit that was sent to Birmingham in February 1945 to deal with the backlog of mail which had built up. It was stationed at the old King Edward's School buildings on the Bristol Road. Given six months to complete the task it did it in three. Working a three-shift, seven days a week, rota its members meticulously analysed and readdressed thousands of items of mail and packages, using an in-house developed system, to ensure that they could be sent on to the correct person.

With three others, I have linked up with the US group researching the battalion. We have been able to counter oft-repeated 'facts', such as members working in cold, blacked-out hangars where the mail had been deposited. We have found no evidence of this and have used extant photos and film footage to show that the work took place at the old school. From recent posts elsewhere I have, as yet uncorroborated, anecdotal evidence that some members spent time at the US Army's local postal base on the Pheasey estate.

We have set up a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/Do-you-remember-the-Six-Triple-Eight-in-Birmingham-106494201082518/ - and would be pleased to receive memories of those, or of their relatives/friends, who came across Six Triple Eight members in and around the city.

It would also be good to extend this thread through comment and discussion.

Photos: 1. Leaving New Street Station in the early hours of 13th February 1945 2. Parading in front of their new 'home'

Leaving Birmingham railway station.jpg Parading outside old King Edward's School, Bristol Road.png

Hello Steve, Sorry - I don't have any information in this reply regarding your 6888 research, but as an aside you mention photos and footage of inside of the school? My own research is into Pheasey Farm itself on the school site. I don't do Facebook so I was wondering if you might be kind enough to point me in the direction of an alternative way to view the images/footage, if at all possible? Thanks in anticipation!! Kind regards, Carolann

Hello, Carolann - thanks for your reply. I believe we may be at cross purposes. My school is the old King Edward's on the Bristol Road whereas yours is Collingwood.

Thanks. We have those and then some. The Birmingham media reported on all manner of events and occasions as Brummies showed that spirit of hospitality for which we are well known.

Birmingham Mail May 1945...

"A member of the US Women's Auxiliary Corps went to the Kent Street Bath for a Turkish bath. She received every attention, but within a few hours the Military Authorities imposed a bar on the Kent St. baths to members of that particular unit."

Thanks. We have those and then some. The Birmingham media reported on all manner of events and occasions as Brummies showed that spirit of hospitality for which we are well known.

The quotes are for information of the Forum members who may be interested in this previously undiscussed topic. Many do not like or use Facebook.

The Military Authorities quoted above would, I presume, be those of the US ? The Deputy Mayor of Birmingham inferred that they could not interfere.

Birmingham Mail May 1945...

"A member of the US Women's Auxiliary Corps went to the Kent Street Bath for a Turkish bath. She received every attention, but within a few hours the Military Authorities imposed a bar on the Kent St. baths to members of that particular unit."

That's a particularly disturbing case. Councillor Albert Bradbeer, for whom the West Heath school is named, was an advocate of the members. I say members, as others went to the baths after the first told them of her experience. Sadly, the Deputy Mayor had no powers to overturn the military's order.

The quotes are for information of the Forum members who may be interested in this previously undiscussed topic. Many do not like or use Facebook.

The Military Authorities quoted above would, I presume, be those of the US ? The Deputy Mayor of Birmingham inferred that they could not interfere.

Yes, I rather got stuck on the memories of others theme and Facebook. I should be making the thread more informative. Thank you.

Yes, the authorities would have been US.

If it was the US Military Authorities that banned the use of Kent Street Baths, it begs the question as how the Women were regarded by them, considering the regard to coloured men by Colonel James A. Kilian, commandant of the 10th Reinforcement Depot in Lichfield.

On 14th February 1945, the Birmingham Post reported on the arrival of the Six Triple Eight at the old school in a rather upbeat piece...
1595602347498.png

We've yet to find the photo of the two ladies and the young boy.

Back