• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

67 summerhill

zena58

master brummie
hello i am looking for 2 children born to my family(christian names not known) but they died between the marriage of their parents and the 1911 census
problem. Surname the dreaded SMITH
i have found an annie elizabeth who was baptised with mother unknown father mark address 67 summerhill there are several others on the same page of baptizm with that address can anyone tell me what this place was
thanks for any help
zena:love_heart:

Zena
67 was the old nursing home on summer hip which still stands ibeleive and its a few yards from the old church on summer hill
I done this one about 4 years ago on the history of its past and present astonian

Hi Zena, please could you tell me what year the baptisms took place that all give 67 Summer Hill as the address?

I have been able to find newspaper reports of that address between 1884 and 1892 being a 'training home' for young girls. It seems they took in young girls leaving the workhouse who would otherwise be 'homeless and friendless' - looked after them and trained them to go into domestic service to give them a chance in life.
These are just the dates of reports I have found at the moment - it is possible it was running as this type of home before 1884 and after 1892 and may explain why so many babies were baptised living at that address.
polly

Polly
The directories describe it as a "Training Home for Servants". In 1888 Mrs Caroline clarke is listed as Matron. It is a private dwelling in 1884, but the occupant is a william clarke. In 1883 it is a Mr Pickering

sorry i havn't answered
annie elizabeth smith
father mark
mother unknown
birth 14/2/1874
baptism 11/9/1887
st marks church
thanks all zena

hi zena
st marks church was along the road from the the big house which over the years started off as you have been told
but over the generations through time it had to changed to a boys home after the girl and later became the home of the birmingham mid wifes
just like he one on the programe you see on sunday nights and then it bcame a old mans sons of rest society ; and they built a big hut out of cncrete
and put a big bench in there for them encased with glass windows all around them for them to walk out f they wanted to do on a sunny day
and later in years it became a nursing home for the very elderly men folk that was summer hill
i do not know whether this property is still standing because i left brum many years ago
but i do know that these people was in there seventys and eightys and ninetys ; in the late seventys or the early eightys thee was a chap whom was the
superintendant of the home and for one reason or another i cannot recall the reason why he did it but he murdered two elderly gentlemen at two different times
he got a life sentence ; but getting back to saint marks church it was in what we called the litte st marks street ladywood birmingham 18 as it was then
it was demolished in 1958 the reason i said little st marks street beause it was split into two halfs [ st marks street ] there was king edwards rd that ran between
it was a white stone church i know because i grew up there just on the coner of st marks street anand played on that huge sand dunes as a kid
i lived at 243 king edwards rd when hey knocked down the church a built a big paint ware house then they went it became a cash and carry ware house i worked
there when i was young but thats wher st marks church was about three streets away on the other side of the rd just pass the summer hill skating
and the new birmingham house of them years in the 19900s for mid wifes was rebuilt and errect abot 400 yards along the rd from the big house and the home
and next to bullpitts as was known as swann brand years later but i would imagine there is records of it still some where our experts could posibl track t for you
best wishes Astonian;

thank you astonian
interesting
shame they knocked the church down (the year i was born)
have sent for the birth certificate keep your fingers crossed she's one of the children im looking for
best wishes zena x

hi
looking for smith births, i was looking through birmingham baptisms on ancestry when i found in
st marks 1887 page 50
7 different baptisms all for different people, with or without parents, on the same day, but all born on different days and sometimes years apart
the address is 67 summerhill
anyone any ideas
thanks
zena:topsy_turvy:

Nothing in the directories (address not mentioned), or the 1881 or 1891 census to indicate anything

Hi Zena - I remember someone else asking about this address but at the moment can't find the thread - I think I posted some newspaper articles about it.

67 Summer Hill opened in July 1884 as a Girls Training home and Day Nursery. It was run by The Birmingham Ladies Association for the care and protection of young girls.

It "endeavoured to rescue young women who would otherwise leave the workhouse homeless and friendless and with their characters gone"

In January 1892 there is an article about a Miss Stacey attending a meeting of the Kings Norton board of Guardians at the Workhouse in Selly Oak to inform them that 5 of the girls sent to the training home from the Union were going on well and were now in domestic service.

hi polly
so i suppose they all must have been baptised to cleanse their charecters
thanks
zena

There is an entry in Kelly's 1895, 66 & 67, Summer Hill Road, Training Home for Servants, matron Mrs Caroline Clarke.

Colin

Back