• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

60**

db84124

Brummophile
I've picked up somewhere along the line - excuse me! - that 6014 King Henry VII was fitted with streamlining during the month of March 1935, but had had it all removed by January 1943. Has anyone got photographs of the engine during these eight years? I would be very interested to see what a "bulky" King looked like with an aerodynamic "bodywork". Thank you. db84124

I've picked up somewhere along the line - excuse me! - that 6014 King Henry VII was fitted with streamlining during the month of March 1935, but had had it all removed by January 1943. Has anyone got photographs of the engine during these eight years? I would be very interested to see what a "bulky" King looked like with an aerodynamic "bodywork". Thank you. db84124

I have seen some drawings of streamlining it did not amount to much,nothing like a semi, sorry Princess Coronation class but you are indeed correct it was 6014 that was streamlined and I have found this piece on it, no pictures i'm afraid.

King class (60XX): 1927: Collett:
The "King" class was perhaps Collett's greatest achievement as it represented the ultimate in British 4-6-0 development in regard to size and power. The axle load was 22½ tons and Holcroft explains how a locomotive of this size came to be acceptable to the Chief Civil Engineer. To some extent the design seems to have been developed for prestige reasons since the Castle class was capable of operating most of the services. Further, a modest increase in power could have been achieved by using the 47XX boiler on the Castle class. However, many other famous classes were prestige designs. King George V was one of the few British locomotives ever exhibited in the United States. Return to beginning..
FOUR-CYLINDER 4-6-0 express locomotive, Great Western Ry. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev.. 1927, 33, 206-7.3 illus.
G.W.R.new 4-cylinder express locomotive. Engineer, 1927, 144, 8-9.3 illus., diagr. (s. & f.els.)
NEW 4-6-0 type express passenger locomotives — Great Western Railway. Rly Engr. 1927, 48, 251-60. 20 illus., 3 diagrs. (incl. s. & f. els.)
NEW "Super-Castle" locomotive, Great Western Railway. Rly Mag., 1927, 61, 126-8 + plate f.p.89. illus., diagr.
RECENT express locomotives. Engineer, 1927, 144, 180.
Editorial comment on the Lord Nelson, Royal Scot and King designs.
1935; streamlining:
No. 60l4 was partially streamlined, but parts of the casing were removed in the same year.
EXPERIMENTAL streamlining of G.W.R. locomotives. Rly Gaz., 1935, 62, 518. 3 illus.
STREAMLINED locomotive, G.W.R.. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1935, 41, 104. illus. 1935 : Partial removal of partial streamlining.

Colin, I agree with you 100%! It's ghastly! How come the LMS was able to come up with the elegant streamlining design as seen on 6229 "Duchess of Hamilton" and the LNER with their superlative A4 Pacifics when Mr Collett's top designers could only add pieces of Plasticine to a model of their existing Kings and have the courage to construct this monstrosity?
6024, hello m., stacks of information there but have you any idea how to gain access to historical numbers of the Railway Gazette or the R(ai)l(wa)y Carr(iage) (?). Wagon Rev(iew)? D.

I'm afraid I dont know how to access that information db it was just a web page I copied but clicking on what I thought might bring up another page had no effect. I did read that the streamlining over the cylinders was removed fairly quickly due to overheating problems.I have to agree with you that the GWR job was a little Heath Robinson to say the least and dreadful.There was a rumour flying round on a railway forum here that Tyseley works were secretly streamlining 5029 Nunney Castle to celebrate GWR 175 but it was all heresay thank goodness. At least TYS did an excellent job on 6229.

Absolutely .........
(With thanks to Wikipedia)

Duchess_of_Hamilton_at_the_National_Railway_Museum2C_York.jpg

Last edited:
By pure coincidence, today I was thumbing through my copy of O.S. Nock,s book "GWR Stars Castles and Kings" and a chapter covers the streamlining of both King Henry VII and Manorbier Castle, the streamlining was at the insistance of the GWR board, Collett wanted none of it but the board had been influenced by the LNER P2 and both German and American streamlining excersises that had taken place.

An office boy was sent out to buy some plasercine Collett then moulded bits of the clay around a desk top model of a king and asked the drawing office to prepare some working drawings of his efforts. The interesting thing is all this happened about 6 months before the apperance of Gresley,s A4 types !

Back