• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hen & Chickens , 58 Howe St

Ah, thank you, that must be where I got it from. All the Thomas family were involved in pubs and brewing, stretching back generations in Atherstone and Mancetter.. Alfred (g-grandfather) and several of his sons were described at one time as 'Pewterers and Publicans' Bar Fitters.' By 1866 he had married and was living at 97 Scholfield Street, which was probably also a pub, he then moved to Catherine Street. My father (his grandson) was born in a room above 'The Castle' Inn' in New Town Row in 1905, but he let the side down by running away to become an actor. (Oh, and John died of liver disease, which is not very surprising.)

The date of the directories is the publication date, so, even with modern (1880 on) ones it is reasonable to assume they refer to year bfore. For earlier ones, possibly earlier. Some early directories seem to have, T least in part copied others earlier efforts

Thank you very much. That's new and will give a boost to this long neglected bit of research. I'll ask some other pub questions in a new thread Cheers! Sally-Anne

As I said when I started the tread my family were at 58 Howe St on the 1911 census ... Their name was Wood, Arthur and Clara and their young children ... Arthur had been a barman at the Freeth Arms and live in Shakespeare Rd Ladywood, Clara lived in St Marks St at the time of their marriage in 1908 ... both of their families had been beeretailers ... Clara's at 117 Ickneild Square and later her brother Tom Deakin at another address in Ickneild Sq. Also Clara's father's family Deakin was originally from Atherstone.

Hi john ,
the kings arms pub was on The corner of howe st & prince's row no 14. On the corner of howe st & curzon st was the railway hotel no 64 i hope this helps terry
Hi, Yes this is how I remember The King Arms Terry. My dad was a regular, (also The Eagle & Ball).
Think Mr and Mrs Rees ran it in early sixties, they had a daughter called Barbara. Then Mr & Mrs Parton. They had two sons. Alan & Phillip. Lovely lads. All the local girls were in love with Alan. Happy days. Kind regards.

Back