• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hen & Chickens , 58 Howe St

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
Ok here's my problem... Could someone tell me the name of a Pub that may have been situated at this address 58 Howe St, or remember hearing about some kind of Beer outlet that was there please?
On the 1855 Kelly's list it just says that it was a Beer Retailer and my family were very helpful (not:() on the 1911 census by putting Beerseller from home.

I have checked several years for this address and it all ways just lists beer retailer any names you are looking for ?

John and Len, the family living at that address in 1911 was named Wood, the head being Arthur.
Arthur married my Gran in 1908 and at that time he was a Barman living in Shakespear Rd Ladywood, my Gran's family had been in the trade for years in the Ladywood area . I wonder how they ended up in Nechells...!

Thanx for looking... :)

Chris/Pom :angel:

a John Payne was in residence by 1913 still classed as a beer retailer same up to 1921

Hi john ,
the kings arms pub was on The corner of howe st & prince's row no 14. On the corner of howe st & curzon st was the railway hotel no 64 i hope this helps terry

Chris
No 58 howe st i marked in red in the attached map dated 1902-11. As john stated, he didn't stay very long. In the electoral rools on MHD he is only listed in 1912, when it is described as a dwelling house, and the premises are listed as licensed in the directories in 1921, but not in 1932. The address is still listed in 1945.
mike

1902-11_howe_st_no_58.jpg

Thank you everyone for taking time out to look.:)
Seems as if it may have just been a 'Private Outdoor', of some kind. I'm not sure yet what happened to Arthur because by 1919 Clara had married my Granddad and they were living back in Ladywood and later Aston.
I do know that my Dad could make a mean 'home brew' as I've mentioned before on the forum.;):)

Chris/Pom :angel:

The Kings Arms in the mid 1960's was run by Flo and Sam Lucas. Their eldest son, my old mate Bob, was Best Man at my wedding in '67.

Hello Len, yes someone was murdered in Howe Street, I lived there when I was a little girl, the murdered man's house backed onto ours, his was on the front of Howe Street and ours was in a courtyard, I can remember some of the details, I have tried to find information about this murder, but with no luck, I'm sure that if I went to Birmingham Central Library I would find it in the old newspapers. A son murdered his father and threw the body down the cellar steps and put a padlock on the door to the cellar.

Regards trebor

Trebor, Thanks for your reply confirming the murder, i had a bro-in-law lived in Curzon St who took me on a pub crawl around the area many years ago and i thought he said there had been a murder in Howe St, this was circa 1953/56. Len.

I'm only 11 years late in responding to this. 58 Howe Street was a pub called The Hen and Chickens (not to be confused with the other one in Birmingham.) It was run by my great-grandfather Alfred Thomas, who was born there in 1846. His father John was also the publican and brewer there, and had come from Athelstone where his family were all small brewers.

I'm only 11 years late in responding to this. 58 Howe Street was a pub called The Hen and Chickens (not to be confused with the other one in Birmingham.) It was run by my great-grandfather Alfred Thomas, who was born there in 1846. His father John was also the publican and brewer there, and had come from Athelstone where his family were all small brewers.
Sathomas, Have you any idea what year(s) your great-grandfather and his father were running the Hen and Chickens, is this information from a census?

The family were there in 1851 and 1861, John being described as a Beer Retailer (he went on to run the Coach and Horses on Spring Hill) By about 1871 they seem to have handed over 58 Howe Street to some Chinn cousins. I'd have to do some more delving to discover where the Hen and Chickens name came from, but it was properly researched at the time

The family were there in 1851 and 1861, John being described as a Beer Retailer (he went on to run the Coach and Horses on Spring Hill) By about 1871 they seem to have handed over 58 Howe Street to some Chinn cousins. I'd have to do some more delving to discover where the Hen and Chickens name came from, but it was properly researched at the time
John Thomas in 1865 trade directory for the Hen and Chickens. William Chinn was listed as the licensee in an 1866 directory.

Proving that trade directories are a little out of date, this newspaper article shows that John Thomas had left Howe Street and was running the Coach and Horses by this publication date [Aris's Birmingham Gazette - Saturday 26 August 1865]

Aris's Birmingham Gazette - Saturday 26 August 1865 Page 5.jpg

Ah, thank you, that must be where I got it from. All the Thomas family were involved in pubs and brewing, stretching back generations in Atherstone and Mancetter.. Alfred (g-grandfather) and several of his sons were described at one time as 'Pewterers and Publicans' Bar Fitters.' By 1866 he had married and was living at 97 Scholfield Street, which was probably also a pub, he then moved to Catherine Street. My father (his grandson) was born in a room above 'The Castle' Inn' in New Town Row in 1905, but he let the side down by running away to become an actor. (Oh, and John died of liver disease, which is not very surprising.)

The date of the directories is the publication date, so, even with modern (1880 on) ones it is reasonable to assume they refer to year bfore. For earlier ones, possibly earlier. Some early directories seem to have, T least in part copied others earlier efforts

Thank you very much. That's new and will give a boost to this long neglected bit of research. I'll ask some other pub questions in a new thread Cheers! Sally-Anne

As I said when I started the tread my family were at 58 Howe St on the 1911 census ... Their name was Wood, Arthur and Clara and their young children ... Arthur had been a barman at the Freeth Arms and live in Shakespeare Rd Ladywood, Clara lived in St Marks St at the time of their marriage in 1908 ... both of their families had been beeretailers ... Clara's at 117 Ickneild Square and later her brother Tom Deakin at another address in Ickneild Sq. Also Clara's father's family Deakin was originally from Atherstone.

Hi john ,
the kings arms pub was on The corner of howe st & prince's row no 14. On the corner of howe st & curzon st was the railway hotel no 64 i hope this helps terry
Hi, Yes this is how I remember The King Arms Terry. My dad was a regular, (also The Eagle & Ball).
Think Mr and Mrs Rees ran it in early sixties, they had a daughter called Barbara. Then Mr & Mrs Parton. They had two sons. Alan & Phillip. Lovely lads. All the local girls were in love with Alan. Happy days. Kind regards.

Back