• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

54 DIGBETH

mark isle of man

proper brummie kid
Hi everyone, my Grandmother moved to 54 Digbeth in 1901 (according to the census) to live with a Mary Matthews. It seems that the area has been redeveloped, would anyone have any idea what type of housing was present there in 1901? Many thanks!!!!

From 1879 Birmingham Post Office Directory, Digbeth ran from the Bull Ring to Deritend, shows that near 54 was the 'Old Guy Public house' at 57.
54 digbeth.PNG
Our member Midland Pubs gives information on 'Old Guy' including a map of the local area and layout of 52-60 Digbeth

There are a few threads about the area.

This first one is about Mill Lane, with a photo and a map. The numbers appear to have run sequentially, so I think no 53 would have been the square building on the right corner of Mill Lane and Digbeth, 54 next on the right and then a few doors away the Old Guy...

This second one contains a photo of no 50 (post #4). Unfortunately no 54 is just out of the picture and it is a little later than 1901 but I wouldn't have though the buildings would have changed...

And finally there's this thread about Digbeth in general...

Hi everyone, my Grandmother moved to 54 Digbeth in 1901 (according to the census) to live with a Mary Matthews. It seems that the area has been redeveloped, would anyone have any idea what type of housing was present there in 1901? Many thanks!!!!
1900 Kelly's lists 54
1636990912253.png
by 1905 it was still listed as dining rooms but Jn Stark.

1901 census lists Mary Matthews running coffee and dining rooms. Also sons John, Harry, George and Albert plus two servants and a visitor (aged 9).

i am still trying to find a photo of the old guy pub as this is the address my grandad gave on his marriage cert in 1928....he was a jewellery stamper so i can only think that maybe he lodged there

lyn

Wow, thank you all so very much, amazing information. My Grandmother was Rita F. Skillicorn and was listed on the 1901 census (at 9 years old) as a "visitor" at 54 Digbeth. Her mother Rosa Skillicorn/Matthews (she had left her first husband - Mr. Skillicorn - and remarried Tom Matthews, son of Mary Matthews) seems to have sent Rita to live with her new husbands mother, Mary. Very odd and we are trying to make sense of this. Rosa Skillicorn/Matthews was originally Rosa Law, living at "The Beeches" on Alcester Road in Kings Norton - seems a very different kind of area compared to the Digbeth area????? All very much appreciated!!!!

On 1911 census where Rosa is with Tom Matthews it states they have 2 children - these are their two sons. No reference to any other children.

Rita's birth was registered as Florence Rita. Her Father is back with his parents in 1901 and states he is single. It looks as if he remarries in 1914.

The problem with a census is it is just a snapshot of the events of that day. It can show us the where but not the why.

It's just as likely that Rita was staying with Tom's mother just for a short while because of the new baby.

Rita's birth was registered as Florence Rita. Her Father is back with his parents in 1901 and states he is single. It looks as if he remarries in 1914.

There are 2 Walter Skillicorns born around the same time, a Walter and a Walter Henry. I think it may be the Walter who is single and with his parents in 1901 (and other censuses). Walter Henry's mother, Elizabeth, is a widow in 1901 living in Ladypool Avenue with 3 other sons.

As Thomas & Rosa marry in 1915 and Walter re-marries in 1914 did Walter and Rosa divorce or did they both marry bigamously?

An interesting name Skillicorn btw.

I have just been trying to find a divorce record but not many seem to be online.
However when Rosa marries Thomas she describes herself as a widow.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back