• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

5 park lane aston

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi guys ;
sorry if this is the wrong thread or postion for a request for the mapping section ;
as my mother was from pariliment street aston and the grand parents had there bussiness around the aston cross section which was 235 park lane
i have just beeninformed that one of my grand parents brother whom married a alsopp
lived at number 5 park lane and as i grew up in the aston and brought up on lichfield rd next to the dear old ansells brew and thompsons
and i knew park lane very well from one end to the other end which was the old six ways aston ;
and for all those members whomcan recall the old park lane at that top end barton bank and potters hill end there used to be a very tight section of a bend on that rd as you approach the six ways junction the housesbecame very close together on both sides of the rd ; that section was the old terrace houses and if you was on that no; 8 bus at the cornerif up stairs on the bus you could infact touch the wall of properys on he lane whilst wainting
for the bus to turn the corner just as you past the corner of the lower bank houses which is a little rd onyour left you would walk to the hippo drome and the barton arms pub ; but still on the lane there was a small printing company with its name painted on the wall above the premises in big bold white paint ; does any body recall the name and getting back to my request was i wanted if some one could confirm that at the very top of the lane where the little small houses of the lane where the rd is tight was that where thenumberfive house was pleasesoits on a slight bend of the lane where lily was living and i was wonderin whether or not mike have a map to show for us please ;
many thanks for your time ; astonian

good morning alan and you are exactly in the right place for a map request..i am sure when our map expert mike sees your post he will be able to help you...

have a good day

lyn

Alan
I can tell you approximately where it was, but not exactly, On the map below, no 27, the Shareholders Arms is labelled in red.No 5 is also on the south side, but cannot say exactly where, just that it is one of the houses marked in blue. There are far more buildings than odd numbers in that length of street, so there must have been a lot marked with an A
Mike

map_c_1937__no_5_Park_lane_aston.jpg

hi mike
many thanks for your time in digging out
emeditly looking at it i can visulied the particular house and that part of section where thepath was narrow on approach to the junction of six ways and the hall around on the front of the high street is marked as well ; i can visulied the old area emediately as if it was only yesterday ;
the big black dark walls of thjose tall but tiny houses ;
i was only thinkingafter the time i put he thread on ;is brother married a girl around the block of park lane and grand father found himself a lady friend
decades later in the sixtyis from around the corner of lilys these ladies must have known each other as they was brought up aropund there in history timesgone bye
many thanks astonian ;;

Back