• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

46, Bexley Road, Kingstanding

tonyddol

proper brummie kid
My childhood years were spent at 46, Bexley Road, Kingstanding, Birmingham, 22C with my Mom and Dad and brother Graham. I was born in 1938 and my Mom was Lily Ann Watts (Nee Gregory) and my dad Stan Watts. What a great childhood it was, although not rich we were never short of sustenance. My Mom, like other ladies of that time, could conjure up an appetising meal from various things including rabbit, cows heal, tripe, ox tongue, brawn, eels etc. The eels were provided by my dad who was a keen fisherman. Our playground was the street in general playing games like rounders, football, cricket, tennis also some less well known games like tip tack, cannon, kick the can, marlies, tig and tag, hop scotch and whip and top. Our activities were played without the danger of traffic, only one car owner in our street, as the milk, coal and bread wagons were pulled by horses who paraded at a stately pace. Sutton Park, a couple of miles away, was a regular playground of mine with my mates Robin, Joey and John. What fantastic times we had swimming in the lido at Keepers Pool, fishing in Powell’s Pool and boating in Blackroot. Blackroot had amongst its hire boats a small traditional style canoe; we would hire this at a bob an hour and get lost in a dream world of Indians and Canadian trappers. The Mayfair cinema was our local flea pit and as kids we would attend the tuppenny crush on a Saturday. Later on we became ABC minors at the Empress, Sutton Coldfield. My war time memories are a bit hazy that is apart from the sweet rationing. I do remember swapping shrapnel and bullet shells, where these came from I can’t remember. In Sutton Park towards the end of the war or may be later, I can remember enemy prisoner of war working in the fields. American soldiers were posted near us in Kingstanding and “got any gum chum” was shouted whenever we saw them.

Hi Tony:

Great memories for you of growing up in Kingstanding. Kingstanding was a very different place in those years to what it is today. I could say sadly because it has become a very sad place in some areas. I grew up close to Witton Lakes Park and one of my Aunts lived in Kingstanding so I went there a lot over the years...swimming at the Baths there and lining up for swimming sessions with all the local kids. I even belonged to the Library and walked and cycled all over the different streets in the area and down the Wyreley Birch right of way to Witton Lakes.

Thanks Jennyann for your comments. Memories I know do tend to mist over bad situations but the Kingstanding I remember had neighbours you could trust, no grafiti, no vandalism, church parades and everyman in a job. Yes there were the occasional blips, a bit of knocking on doors and running away but I genuinely do not remember anything more serious. It appeared to me, as a child, that society would get better with successive generations but sadly this has not happened. My house is still there, at least it was a year ago when I was in the area, but I agree thinks do not look at all impressive. Lets hope and pray good times return to Kingstanding. Regards Tony

Hi Tony,
We lived on Esher Rd up Cooksey Lane. Your memories of Kingstanding are the same as mine. It was a great place to live and Barr Beacon and Sutton Park were so close it never bothered us to walk there to play in the Woods or fly our model planes on the Golf course.
Sadly, the house we lived in is a wreck now, No front lawn, the fence has been pulled down, and an old washing machine on the front garden.:cry:...
We used to play Kick the Can out in the dark dureing the blackout with no worries. It's good to look back on such a wonderful childhood now that we are Senior Citizens:):).

Have a nice Day,,, Wally.

I am a new user and am desperately trying to find anyone who knew my dad, David Hart. He was also born in 1938 and lived at 33 Esher Road as a child. He attended Kingsland Road and Peckham Road schools.

can anyone help ?

Back