• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

4 Sheep St Gosta Green 5 April 1924

Terrier Terry

4 Sheep St. Gosta Green 5 April 1924

Can anyone suggest how I might establish the occupants of the above on/about April 1924 ?

This was date on which the marriage took place at the Bishop Ryder Church in nearby Gem St. of Harry Archibald Wormall age 20 and May Hart age 25. According to the Marriage Cert.the father of the groom Charles Black and of the bride Henry James Hart were both deceased.The marriage was witnessed by Charles Marsh believed to be the uncle of the groom and one Annie O'Brien.
The couple's place of residence for the purpose of Banns and Marriage Cert. was recorded as 4 Sheep St.

A separate house to house 1911 Census check of the whole of Sheep St. (384/3/40 Images 452-619 ) surprisingly does not include a No. 4 Sheep St. Is No .4 in 1924 an accomodation address of some form ?

Any help greatly appreciated

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The electoral rolls for 1922 & 1925 (nearest that I can access) lists Lilian Pettigrew only . This would only list eligable people, and , if the building was a shop or factory, then it might just be the owner, rather than someone who lives there.
Mike

Terrier Terry

Many thanks for this info Mike.
Coincidentally the first house in Sheep St. to appear in the 1911 Census is No. 3 where the occupants are John William Pettigrew age 22 and his mother Flora L.E Pettigrew. the next house Listed is No.5 .Clearly a Pettigrew was still occupying 3 or 4 in 1925

Terry

Yvonne Lay

proper brummie kid
Hi,

My husband's family came from Sheep Street, have you tried 4 court, sheep street. We had family at 4 court, house 9 sheep street, and at no 6 sheep street. They were back to back houses.

Hope this is of some help to you,

Yvonne.

Terrier Terry

Hi Yvonne,

Thanks for your suggestion you may be right.
In an attempt to at least identify the property I have carried out a house by house check of all properties listed in the 1911 Census Returns for Sheep St. but have so far failed to find a No.4 Sheep St. or even Court 4.I will give it another go just to be absolutely sure
Thanks again

Terry

Garoid DeBurca

4 Sheep St. Gosta Green 5 April 1924

Can anyone suggest how I might establish the occupants of the above on/about April 1924 ?

This was date on which the marriage took place at the Bishop Ryder Church in nearby Gem St. of Harry Archibald Wormall age 20 and May Hart age 25. According to the Marriage Cert.the father of the groom Charles Black and of the bride Henry James Hart were both deceased.The marriage was witnessed by Charles Marsh believed to be the uncle of the groom and one Annie O'Brien.
The couple's place of residence for the purpose of Banns and Marriage Cert. was recorded as 4 Sheep St.

A separate house to house 1911 Census check of the whole of Sheep St. (384/3/40 Images 452-619 ) surprisingly does not include a No. 4 Sheep St. Is No .4 in 1924 an accomodation address of some form ?

Any help greatly appreciated
I actually lived in the first house next door to KEARL HALL and I’m almost certain it was number 4. We were the last family to leave the house before it was demolished. I have fond memories of playing as a child of eight or nine around the surrounding streets. Circa 1962/3 to 1966/7.