• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

4 bk 48 Arthur Street Help Please

lindyloo

master brummie
Hi All,
Having seen a great photo on the 'Courtyards and Yards of Brum' thread, of the courtyard behind 54 Arthur Street, I was wondering if 4 bk 48, would have been part of that courtyard (my Great Grandad lived at 4 bk 48 in 1881)
However, on checking the census, I feel that given the amount of 'back of houses' listed it probably wouldn't be part of 54.
Would anyone be able to help me locate where 48 was please. I have a feeling it was possibly in the area that became Bolton Road where it crosses Arthur Street, but I can't work it out myself
Many thanks in Anticipation :)

Lindyloo
No 48 is almost opposite the Prince Arthur, which is at the junction of arthur st with Bordesley Park road. No 54 is in front of the next court . i have marked 48 in blue & 54 in red. Cannot be sure which is 4 back 48

map_c_1889__no_48_and_54_arthur_st.jpg

Hi Mike, Sorry for the late reply...Thank you for sorting that out for me, it is most appreciated as always.
From your map, it looks as if most of the courtyards would have looked pretty much the same, so the photo of the back of 54 that I saw paints a great picture of the surroundings that my Great Grandad knew at the time.
I have since tried to work it out myself given that Blandford House was number 8 but I keep coming up one house number short of 116 (using Kelly's) so I'm thinking that maybe the last building in the street covered two numbers ??

Thanks again
Lynne

Lynne
I thought the explanation would be that Blandford house was on a double-sized plot (which it is, actually probably a bit more) but looking from the map below it looks like ithe numbering is as expected. I make the red house no 10, which maked blndford no 8. I hope my counting is correct !

map_c_1889_north_end_of_Arthur_st.jpg

Hi Mike and LyndylooI remember looking at the residential listing for Arthur Street before and the courts seem to share the front house numbers but not in any specific order some may be back of 48 and some back of 50 . I'm easily confused but couldent make any sense out of them but looking at Mikes map one lot of back houses could be covered by four front houses

Lynne
I thought the explanation would be that Blandford house was on a double-sized plot (which it is, actually probably a bit more) but looking from the map below it looks like ithe numbering is as expected. I make the red house no 10, which maked blndford no 8. I hope my counting is correct !

Hi Mike, I have no doubt that your counting is correct and I hope you didnt think I was questioning it ?? That wasn't my intention at all. I was just confused by The Kelly's numbers.... I will stick with your positioning of 48 in my records.. :)

berniew, Thanks for your post. I remembered where that list was so I took a look and I couldnt make much sense of it either !!!
The 1900/1915 and 1940 Kelly's havent really helped much because they dont list the back houses and not all of the "front" houses are recorded either...very confusing indeed...

I’m interested in Arthur St as my mother was born there in 1896 the address on her birth certificate is 22 Court 8 on the 1910 census its 8 Court 22 , I would like to know if that means there would be 22 houses in a court,?
Mike, is it possible to post the part of Arthur St map starting from Coventry Road up to the start of the map on post #2. as I think that is where court 8 is.

[FONT=&quot]Lynn[/FONT][FONT=&quot] hope you don’t mind me Hi jacking your post[/FONT]

Court 8 is already on the map in post 2. No 48 is in front of court 10. court 8 is the one immediately above it. Court 22 is further down, shown in red on the map

map_c_1890__arthur_st_court_22.jpg

Hi brummie nick,

Of course I don't mind, its here for everyone to join in :)

Hopefully Mike will confirm this,...The court that is by the blue square marking 48, on post #4, is court 10 on the 1889 map and I think court 8 is the one before where the small circle is on what looks to be the property boundry line, in the white space.

I will leave it to Mike to explain if there were 22 houses and hopefully post you a picture !!!

EDIT...Mike beat me too it :)

Dear Mike, are there any photos of this part of Bordesley Park Road? Which court I are no. 24 and 26 part of? Are there 11 homes in this court?

hello and welcome hazy7....we do have a thread for bordesley park road with lots of old photos posted..click on link below...hope you find it useful

lyn

Back