• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

4 Acocks Green to Kings Heath

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Acocks Green to Kings Heath

Now we head up Westley Rd and turn left on Fox Hollies Rd and cross Olton Boulevard.

Attachments

• 70 Fox Hollies Rd.jpg
    70 Fox Hollies Rd.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 66 Westley Rd.jpg
    66 Westley Rd.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 67 Westley Rd - Fox Hollies Rd.JPG
    67 Westley Rd - Fox Hollies Rd.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 68 Acocks Green Bus Depot.jpg
    68 Acocks Green Bus Depot.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 69 Olton Boulavard.jpg
    69 Olton Boulavard.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Continuing along Fox Hollies we make a right turn at School Rd where we head toward Stratford Rd

Attachments

• 71 Hall Green Fox Hollies Hall Gates.jpg
    71 Hall Green Fox Hollies Hall Gates.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 72 The York Fox Hollies.jpg
    72 The York Fox Hollies.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 73 John Marston Chapel Fox Hollies Rd.jpg
    73 John Marston Chapel Fox Hollies Rd.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 74 Hall Green School Rd 1936.JPG
    74 Hall Green School Rd 1936.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 75 The Horse Shoes Stratford Rd.jpg
    75 The Horse Shoes Stratford Rd.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 29
Across Stratford Rd onto Cole Bank Rd, Swanshurst Lane and then Coldbath Rd

Attachments

• 80 Coldbath Rd.jpg
    80 Coldbath Rd.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 76 Stratford Rd - Colebank Rd.JPG
    76 Stratford Rd - Colebank Rd.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 77 Sarehole Mill.jpg
    77 Sarehole Mill.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 78 Swanshurst Lane.jpg
    78 Swanshurst Lane.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 79 Colbath Rd.JPG
    79 Colbath Rd.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 25
From the top of Coldbath Rd we turn on to Brook Lane, then we travel along Addison Rd until we reach Alcester Rd Kings Heath

Attachments

• 86 Kings Heath.JPG
    86 Kings Heath.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 82 Billesley hotel Brook Lane.JPG
    82 Billesley hotel Brook Lane.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 83 Addison Rd.JPG
    83 Addison Rd.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 84 Addison Rd 2.JPG
    84 Addison Rd 2.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 85 Addison Rd 3.jpg
    85 Addison Rd 3.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 26
I did do the complete journey on one occasion, clockwise, of the Outer Circle 11 route (it was simply 11 in my time which ever direction it went).

My more frequent journeys on the Outer Circle were from Hall Green to Kings Heath and thence on the 27 to Stirchley. The 27 was a novelty to me as it was a BCT single deck route. I was used to Midland Red having single deckers - Acocks Green to Wythall in particular) but those on the BCT were rare. I noticed a pic of Sarehole Mill. Yes, that is the run down appearance I remember.

Addendum: I have since remembered that when at Bournville my first employer - after school - provided transport to and from the factory. I was only with them for six months and then I had to make my own travel arrangements to Bournville. This involved travel to Hall Green thence the 11 to Bournville and the reverse on my way home. As far as I recall my new employer, who was based in Edmund Street, paid my fares.
This lasted for almost a year when the family relocated to Devon.

I used the Outer Circle bus route every school day from September 1956 to July 1961 going from the corner of Cole Bank Road and Sarehole Road in Hall Green to Vicarage Road/Cartland Road in Kings Heath. Camp Hill GS insisted that schoolboys had to wear their caps while on the bus and therefore still in the public eye. I think that sixth-formers were allowed not to wear their caps. I got on the bus in Hall Green just up from the Doctor's (Doctor Boyers) in Cole Bank Road. Sarehole Mill at that time was very derelict. Swanshurst Park was a great favourite of mine for golf putting and hiring a small boat on the lake. Sometimes our family would travel the other way on the Number 11 as we had relatives in Bacons End. I seem to remember that this involved getting off at the Fox and Goose in Stechford and then getting a Midland Red to Bacons End. I did do the whole Outer Circle route a couple of times. Dave.

Hi Dave

Me too, except I used to get on at Stechford Station. I also remember walking right round the Outer Circle
on two occasions. The bus journey then was approximately two and a half hours (right round that is!), and
I was told by a bus driver that the outer ring (clockwise ) was a mile longer than the inner ring due to islands etc.
Happy days!

Kind regards

Dave

Back