• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

3D/photo/ or a ghost effect photo..

christy

master brummie
hi forum guys, is it possible to do a 3D or ghost effect photo, an old building gone, & replaced with a new build then put the old building back through the new/build, i hope this explains,it ??.. cheers,..christy...

I know mikejee can put one map on top of another but I don't know how he does it (apart from being very clever!) or if it is possible with a photo

The method i use depends on something in google, and is only suitable for superimposing on google. It would be possible to superimpose photos, but i have never tried it, and am not sure it would look very clear.

It's possible with most photo processing programs, but not Irfanview as that can open only one picture at a time. So Photo Shop, Photo Impact, Paint Shop Pro, GIMP, will all certainly handle it. Not sure about the cut down ones like Elements.

Easier to do than to explain though!

Maurice :friendly_wink:

PS I presume you want to do this sort of thing. Here I've taken a picture of a Hot Wheels type car and superimposed it twice on top of a picture of some wet concrete - just poured for the foundations of a house.

car.jpg

Car_on_wet_concrete3.jpg

Attachments

• Car_on_wet_concrete.jpg
    Car_on_wet_concrete.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 21
thanks guys for the offer of help, it was an old building that was pulled down, & replaced with a new building, i have 2,pic,s of the same place",what i was looking for was the 2,building into one, look a ghost shadow, the new/build with the old as a shadow, look a 3d,effect,, can it be done, i will have to learn again how to pic a foto on here, if you guys would like to try or send a pm, thanks regards,...christ.

Christy:

Normally the base image will be solid and a semi-transparent overlay, e.g. the cars in the above picture would be added. (These cars were 'added' about five times and even then the concrete is still showing through in the area of the back seat as a bright spot. This would be cloned out in the final composite picture). The secret is to get a good outline (selection) of the 'car' or whatever, and unless you want to spend hours doing it, you need to have a good contrast between the 'car' and its background, in this case, a sheet of white paper.

I'll send you my email via PM and if you can send me the pics, I'll tell you how good the end result is likely to be! My guess is that that the older picture is likely to be black & white (gray scale) and if you are using a modern colour picture as the background, the old building may not show up too well.

I've had a play around with Adobe Photo Deluxe and have managed to do what I think you are after. If others have no success I'll be pleased to have a go for you. John

sorry guys, still trying to upload the pics, on here, & still looking for the best pic, as they have to be the same angle, one of the guys done a brill job, on a transparent photo, when i blow up the pic, there was to many marks, i am going on a search for a better photo,..let you know soon, cheers,...christy..

hi,guys, i will try to upload these photos for you guys, to have a bash, at,[transparent] if you guys can..all the best..img122.jpgimg123.jpg

well guys, i am so happy they are on here at last,.. the 1st pic shows, the flats, many years ago, & replaced with these hse,s, can you guys make the flats transparent,like a 3d effect..as they stood before,..many thanks in advance....regards,...christy..

hi, this is a differant angle, of the flats,..they were a very large building for the 1940s..sadly only lasted 40,years,. can you guys match the building together as one,..transparent..please,..cheers,..christy,,img124.jpg

Thanks, Christy, I'll have a play with this tomorrow. The big problem with "then & now" pictures is that they are invariably taken from different view points and with quite disimilar lenses, so the angles are all to pot! A chance to play with the perspective transform tool to see if I can minimise the differences.

i have tried to match up as best as i can. the angles, as to match, both pics, as one 3d effect, [transperant]. they are a bit off,as images, i have perfect photos, from an arieal view but not matching angles, can u guys, move the images to match, if possible,.. its abit hi tec, nice 1 guys, regards,..christy.. if you wish for these photos plz ask..

So, Christy, I gather from looking at Google maps, we are talking about the corner of William Edward Street and Angelina Street. Not sure about the exact building line, but I will see what I can come up with.

Always worth posting up if you wouldn't mind, Elizabeth. Cheers.

41017_152501694760278_100000013464391_497334_482596_n.jpg
CORNER OF WILLIAM EDWARD ST/ ANGELINA ST,

Elizabeth:

Wow, that pre-dates the blocks of flats. Not a great deal of help with Christy's original request, but very interesting nevertheless. Many thanks.

Back