• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

3D/photo/ or a ghost effect photo..

sospiri, i,ll upload a ariel photo, it may give you more info,of the street,william edward st..on one of the pics, the top corner, is missing, sorry about that,..will go on a search for more pics,..regards,...christy.

hi,guys,[1st-picture] a side view of angelina st, by the football pitch. this is were the whole of st martins flats stood, replaced with these house.s.. where the tall block of flats is by the small car..that is dymoke st..that run across the school playing ground many years ago.. now it is called [william edward st]. the image i send was at this corner, i will also upload a few more,..it may help alittie..cheers,..christy..img126.jpgimg127.jpgimg127.jpg

hi,sospiri.. i know they are just not at the right angle, for you, i keep digging down in the old chest, looking at the old pic,s, here is the same building at a another angle,..ok, all the best,..christy..img125.jpg

the old & the new,..2,ariels photos of the same place, the b/w photo shows st martins flats, & how big they were, the area in the photos, is only 20,odd years apart, yet look so differant..now sospiri,..how could you match these 2,pics, up..& could it be done,..i would not know how to begin,.. i have uploaded to give you a better look at the area,. cheers guys.. regards,..christy.img129.jpg

Hi Christy,

You're lucky to have such a wealth of pictures - most people are lucky it they can find one! I remember Lyn's (Astoness) crusade to find a pic of the Vine Inn, and I have yet to see a picture of Bartons Bank, Aston, where I was born.

I think I can put a couple of these together for the flats, e.g. the end from one of these tacked onto the earlier flats picture and then try and screw it all round clockwise slightly before attempting to superimpose a ghost image of it onto the modern picture. I can only try! :rolleyes:

Maurice :friendly_wink:

cheers, sospiri, on yr offer of help, i have no idea, on how to do this!!..puzzle!!..this was my playground as a kid, i only wish is that i had better angles for you, i wish you all the best,.. bartons bank, i know the barton arms pub.. is that near"......if you need any more info sospiri, let me know, many thanks in advance,...regards,..christy..

Hi Christy,

Bartons Bank was well behind the Bartons Arms - up Potters Hill and first left as I recall. I think one of the tower blocks behind the pub was named Bartons Bank as a sort of momento! But the whole area behind the pub was destroyed in the 1960s.

Hi Liz,

Thanks, but I'm well versed with this site - the Bartons Bank entry is even one from me of my grandfather, but sadly I don't have one of the street.

I thought as much but wasn't sure, I know how you feel, I have looked everywhere for a photo of the Street I grew up in, and have yet to find one, William Edward St, just got the little shop on the corner.

Hi Christy / Jukebox,

I'm even more confused now as Jukebox's picture shows the fronts of the new houses facing to the right whereas the picture supplied in your earlier post shows the fronts of the houses pointing to the left with only a small window at first floor level on the side (right) of the house. I'm not familiar with this area at all and left Birmingham 51 years ago, so can't add any personal recollections.

Whilst Jukebox has done a good job given the huge difference in the old and new pictures, I think a much more useful end result would have been obtained had the base (new) picture been in colour. I await your comments with interest! :playful:

Maurice :mask:

that looks, grand jukebox,..thank you,,..hi sospiri..i will have to leave it up to you, i have coloured pics, but not the whole block,of the street scene, the lenth of the block. i can take a plc, as it is now, & try to match up the old pic,s.. or try for an ariel view, if you can turn the image to suit the old image"that would be great, most of all the building in this area are all gone,..let me know,ok...cheers....christy.

jukebox, could you outline the pic, if poss, like a black-line on the outside,so the flats, stand out more,..do you what i mean..cheers,jukebox...brill pic...regards,..

Nice pic, christy, but I was hoping that the new, i.e. current (modern), would have been the colour one. Jukebox appears to have used an entirely different modern pic from the one you supplied. Even flipping yours won't produce that. And the tower in the background of both pics was on the left and now it's on the right.

MikeJee: I don't suppose you have a large scale plan of the flats, have you?

Before we spend too much time on this, I'd like to be sure that what we produce is acccurate!

Maurice :05.18-flustered:

These were the photos from post #13 Maurice - I haven't changed or flipped anything!!! I have used the line of the road junction as a common point.

Christy - I don't quite follow your idea about the line round the picture - do you mean like a frame?

hi,guys...sospiri..i have a ariel pic, showing the streets, i out/lined,. to show,the pics, i sent & where they are...it seems william edward st was at one time, down on the corner of angelina st in the 50s, & 60s. as the pic shows todays pic william edward st is in dymoke st..strange!!. they most of liked the name to keep it in,?...how are you getting on with the images...ok...all the best.....christy..

Hi Christy, Sospiri, Willam Edward St, was next to Angelina St, until late 60s, when it was demolished, a school has been built where it was, the little close, which is named William Edward St, is off Angelina St, and was indeed called that because they wanted to keep the name in the area, something to do with who it was called after.

hi,folks..a photo from the 60s showing st martins flats, 3,streets, marked out are at the top end by the tower block,is dymoke st, by this going down the hill is Angelina st, touching near the bottom is william edward st..i hope this helps, alittie..64741_314170951973891_100001429673677_857258_104735782_n.jpg

Hi Chris,
Maggie Bonham is trying to do a similar thing for the flats for the reunion, a merge of before, during and after photos. Problem is we need all the during photos we can get :eek:)

hi, this is a differant angle, of the flats,..they were a very large building for the 1940s..sadly only lasted 40,years,. can you guys match the building together as one,..transparent..please,..cheers,..christy,,View attachment 73958

Have a quick look in the group, we have a photo of the same corner before the demolition for the flats, it was the Dog and Duck pub on this corner :eek:)

img1223.jpg

This picture is based on the original 2 shots overlaid and matched using the buildings of Matthew Boulton College as guides. It still looks wrong somehow. I've trimmed the sky and roadway from the newer picture. I can fade the new picture if necessary and put labels on but without another reference point it's difficult to know how else to adjust the overlaid picture.
I get the feeling that you're always going to get this with this location because there are too few common elements. Best guess as to what might work is a shot taken looking down Vaughton Street with the buildings on both sides of the road clear. Even that has the problem that the bit you want to see superimposed has nothing in common between the two versions.

Back