• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

36/40 Dudley Street, Birmingham - 1891 Query

Mrs Bear 51

master brummie
Greetings.... me again,

My grandmother is listed in the 1891 Census returns as being one of 9 servants at 36/40 Dudley Sreet, Birmingham.

The family that own the address at the time of the 1891 census returns are Richard and Alice Bradshaw and their sons/daughters. With the description of job of head of the household being 'Eating House Keeper'

I have had a look on Google maps and can find premises - that may or may not be 36/40 Dudley Street, that looks big enough to house a family and 9 servants.

I wondered if anyone knew what the eating house might have been called, or any info about it, please?

Thank you.

Mrs Bear

Last edited:
hi mrs bear...i am a bit confused is it dudley road or street you are researching

lyn

mrs bear is it the dudley st in the city centre because if it is its all modern build there now

lyn

mrs bear is it the dudley st in the city centre because if it is its all modern build there now

lyn
The returns say Municipal Ward - Market Hall, Parish of St Jude.
If there is a modern build there now, I've obviously gone for the first Dudley Street that popped up on Google and not considered there was one in the City Centre.

if someone could look in the kellys directories to find out the years mr bradshaw was there at least it would narrow down the date of the photo...

This is a map of Dudley Street in 1888-89, so 36/40 could be on the other side of Old Meeting Street,
later became a filing station
dudley street.JPG

In 1884 Kellys no 36 and (38+ 40) were two separate establishments, not under Bradshaw. Bradshaw was listed there 1888-1904, but by 1908 edition it was again two establishments under different people. Dates are publication dates and probably refer to year before

Robt
According to Kellys 36,38,40 are on the same side of the st , the other side of Old meeting st to no 50, close to the corner of station st

Robt
According to Kellys 36,38,40 are on the same side of the st , the other side of Old meeting st to no 50, close to the corner of station st
I would agree with that Mike, in 1862 I've got Railway Guard at No.52, and the strange one I've got Kings Head Inn at 56 Dudley Road, yet on my map it's marked as King's Head Hotel on the other side of the road.

I believe that photo is already on BHF. It needs close examination as many of the names refer to businesses and premises elsewhere. For instance Bridgford's Shopfitter is further along the road, also Kendall's (late Keel) is opposite, presumably past the pub and just out of sight. Are there three 'boozers' there. The Apple Tree (Ashted Brewery), another - you can see the lantern above the horse drawn delivery cart and one which seems to be receiving deliveries from that cart.
Horse drawn trams run along there: I hope the delivery guy has moved when one comes along. ;)

Back