• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

35mm CD/ROM

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
I am still using my 35mm camera, however since I got my computer eighteen months ago I have a CDROM
done ai Jessops, When I first took it there they used to put two imagines of each photo, now this last time,
last week , there are three!! anyone know why?? They all look the same Beats me. Bernard

Hi Berrnard,

Are all the images of the same resolution. When you open the files on the CD rom onto your screen, place your pointer over each of the three images in turn and see if they have different size Kilobyts or Megabytes. If they vary in size then they have include different resolutions. The higher they are, the better quality image for enlarging.

Humph

Could the images be the equivalent of plus/minus 1/2 an exposure stop of the original ?

Hi Berrnard,

Are all the images of the same resolution. When you open the files on the CD rom onto your screen, place your pointer over each of the three images in turn and see if they have different size Kilobyts or Megabytes. If they vary in size then they have include different resolutions. The higher they are, the better quality image for enlarging.

Humph
You were spot on Humph, each image had the size along the bottom,
(1)2137x1535 1.5 MB
(2) 556x400 87KB
(3)1715x1232 932KB
Many thanks for your help, I love photo/side of computer,s but there is so much to know and remember,
my daughter was right as usual(just like her Mom) stops my brain going rusty at 80, Bernie

Hi Bernie,

Glad to be of help. If you are taking a lot of pics and need to have them scanned it might be worth your while investing in a negative scanner, which is what I did a few years ago. I don't know what it costs for negs to be scanned commercially, but it might save you in the long run. There are quite a few models on ebay and sometime you can get a real bargain. if you did decide to go that route, let me know. I might be able to steer you in the right direction with regards type and quality. some of the scanners can take an awful long time to scan one neg. Mine, I can set up and will scan a whole film in about half an hour.. Humph

Humph3 makes a good point. It might save money and also it enables you to scan all or part of a negative (or positive) in extremely high definition, thereby exposing detail which you would never have realised was there. Your 1.5mb versions, if you magnify them, will give an idea of what's hidden away.

(I did a whole exercise with several hundred family negs from 1919 to the 1950s and was constantly amazed at what emerged - details of dress, backgrounds etc. - even though they were taken with bog-standard cameras. These images, for example, came from stamp-sized negatives. They are the web-based versions; there is more definition in the originals).

Chris

Last edited:
Hi Bernie,

Glad to be of help. If you are taking a lot of pics and need to have them scanned it might be worth your while investing in a negative scanner, which is what I did a few years ago. I don't know what it costs for negs to be scanned commercially, but it might save you in the long run. There are quite a few models on ebay and sometime you can get a real bargain. if you did decide to go that route, let me know. I might be able to steer you in the right direction with regards type and quality. some of the scanners can take an awful long time to scan one neg. Mine, I can set up and will scan a whole film in about half an hour.. Humph
Thanks once again for your interest and advice, I have Samsung 10/40 camera which I paid £200 in1993 , and I am lothe to part with. I have an Epson printer +scanner, and store my pics on
Picasa 3. Have been thinking a new camera for some time, one day!!! It amazes me computers can do, I
had a Squad photo taken at the Guards Depot in 1948, the other day every individual pic came up and said, put a name to these? wonderful. cheers for now Bernard ps I think Jessops charge 5p a print.

Back