• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

300 High St Harborne

That’s what I thought Dave - see post #12. The photo looks much older than it is. But Mike says it’s 1965. What I thought was interesting about this photo was that the retail premises on the end were still there in 1965. If I’ve understood all this correctly, and according to to Pedro’s post #25, these premises were Albert Trouts beer retailing business in 1915 and Samuel Smith Evans wine and spirit merchants in 1940. I did wonder if they were connected with the Vine. In fact I wondered if the whole stretch in view from the Vine to the Royalty, including the low level wall and whatever was behind it, were connected to the Vine.

This led me to my later question as to whether the rebuilding of the Vine was on a larger footprint because they may have had a business interest in the wine and spirits shop. All speculation of course. But sometimes it can throw up new snippets of info to help solve the original query.

Viv.

Last edited:
Sorry Viv only just realised you had already posted it earlier, must get my eyes tested. The photo looks 30's or 40's to me. I wish there was something in the photo to suggest a date. May even be older with the sepia tone however that may be misleading. There does not appear to be any road signs or road markings in the picture, maybe that is a clue to the date .

That’s Ok Dave. We’re all enthusiastic here; both Lyn, yourself and myself have all posted the photo on either here or the Vine Inn thread. I’ve posted it three times !

We’ve learned in the past you can never have enough photos ! Viv.
Viv, you all put a lot of effort into this site. It does show that if you ask, someone out there may have the answer to that question.

Thanks
Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

Viv, you all put a lot of effort into this site. It does show that if you ask, someone out there may have the answer to that question.

Thanks
Nick S Phillips ‍♂

quite right nick...as the old saying goes "theres nowt in this world for the dumb" i am still working on finding this elusive photo...

lyn

I just came across this on another site.....

"The Royalty Cinema in Harborne, Birmingham, was designed by celebrated picture house architect Horace G Bradley during the first great wave of cinema building and opened on 20th October, 1930. "

So the photo's in posts 12 & 29 must have been taken after 1930. It must have been taken early morning too, the milk is still on the step of The Vine Inn!

I just came across this on another site.....

"The Royalty Cinema in Harborne, Birmingham, was designed by celebrated picture house architect Horace G Bradley during the first great wave of cinema building and opened on 20th October, 1930. "

So the photo's in posts 12 & 29 must have been taken after 1930. It must have been taken early morning too, the milk is still on the step of The Vine Inn!
Dave, I was looking at "The Royality Cinema" today it does have 1930 on the front of the building.

Where would I find post 12 & 29?

Thanks
Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

Back