• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

30 George Road, Edgbaston

ostrauts

Brummie babby
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. One of my relatives was a Hospital Nurse in 1901 and the census informs me she worked at 30 George Road and the parish is Edgbaston. Listed alongside my relative is a number of nurses, Sister in Charge, Servants and patients. I wondered does anyone know what may have been based at this address or if there is anyway of finding out?

Many thanks.

Kelly's Directory 1900 and 1911 census shows 35 George Road, Edgbaston, Christopher Martin M.B., F.R.C.S. with nursing staff, can only find out he was a gynecologist, and the five patients were female so assume it was a private clinic, but cannot find it listed as such, there were many before the hospitals became organised.

Colin

On the 1901 census Christopher Martin is listed at 35 but other nurses are listed at 30. I wonder if it was a nurses home?

Janice

I've just had a really strange 'deja vu' moment!
I've had a death cert for a few days for someone who died at 30 George Road. It's been rattling away in my brain as an address that I had come across before (apart from possibly running past it!). Google has just pointed me here - and I realised that I had read this thread in October and wondered about it because it was local to me!

The lady concerned was 60 years old; bearing in mind what you have found out for 1901, I think that this large house may have been some sort of 'care' centre/rest home. I can't find a burial for this lady, who died of heart disease (several years), but now I've found this, I realise that I've probably been looking in the wrong place; in 1901 she was living in Pershore Road, Northfield, so I'll look over that way more.

I'm not sure that number 30 still exists as such; the numbering is odd down there anyway, but there are a couple of the original very large houses that have been divided and renamed as St James Place. When I go back to the Library, I'll see if I can locate number 30 accurately.

searching the old papers I can only find 30 George Road mentioned twice:
10 July 1882 - Mr C R Bowling 30 George Road Edgbaston is one of the inspectors of factories for the Birmingham district.
23 Nov 1886 - Elkington - on the 22nd at 30 George Road, Edgbaston the wife of Leigh H Elkington of a daughter.
So it seems it was a family home until at least 1886.

Pollypops, that last one is interesting -it's a birth isn't it, so it could be a medical place by then couldn't it...?
Time to spend some time with directories etc I think!

There is a death in January 1933 of Christopher Martin M.B C.M. F.R.C.S at 30 George Road, Edgbaston, elder son of the late Christopher Martin and Harriet Martin of Stockton on Tees.
in 1941 onwards - 30 George Road, Edgabaston appears on announcements (of probates etc.) as the address for Johnson and Co. Solicitors.

not sure if any of this helps :)

Leslam - just found the marriage announcement of Leigh H Elkington of George Road, Edgbaston to Edith M Cottrell of Broadfields Erdington on 29 March 1884 - so seems they lived there.

I can find a Leigh H Elkington mentioned as a chartered accountant. 10 Newhall St in 1886. Possibly same man?

So at some point between 1891 (when the Elkington's were still living there) and 1901, when there is a sister-in-charge, three nurses and four patients and four servants (including a gardener), it became a nursing care/rest home.
I think I've worked out how this person (who wasn't well off) came to be in the nursing home. Her husband was a gardener - I bet that in 1906 he was doing the garden at George Road ......
She might not even have been a full patient, but came with him when he came to work so she was looked after .....

So at some point between 1891 (when the Elkington's were still living there) and 1901, when there is a sister-in-charge, three nurses and four patients and four servants (including a gardener), it became a nursing care/rest home.
I think I've worked out how this person (who wasn't well off) came to be in the nursing home. Her husband was a gardener - I bet that in 1906 he was doing the garden at George Road ......
She might not even have been a full patient, but came with him when he came to work so she was looked after .....
Hi just reading this is the lady Jane Batton and her husband the gardener Harry Batton

Back