• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

3 back 153 latimer street Emma Mountford

A search for 'alert' will show many posts and threads about email alert problems.

By default, the forum software 'Xenforo' will only email notify you on the first new post/reply after the last one you read. Any additional ones will not show up with new email notifications until you visit the thread and read the latest post which appears to reset the email setting, so you will get an email with the next response.

Other things to try...
If you have more than one email address try using a different one, this sometimes jogs the system into action.
Re-enter your existing email and this also sometimes jogs the system into action.
It has been known for forum emails to go into spam folders ... it happened to me once !

Latimer Street is the first of my web pages to include a 'new' feature, that of a map dating from 1891 showing the locations of all the pubs in the street - I acquired this old map and it shows every pub in every street at that time. I will be rolling this out for each street in the future. Have a look and see what you think : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/latimer-street/index.html#Map
I haven't done any work on this street but needed to have something there to follow from the Villa Tavern - yes, Lyn, that pub is keeping me busy on building weblinks as it was connected to such a lot of other pubs and places! And, yes, I ain't forgot about your pic! There aren't enough hours in the day!!

i lived in latimer st from 1945 to 1954 my name is barry hopwood and my older brother was terry also my younger sister valerie we lived at 2 back of 157 next door but one lived my best friend ,brian checkly any one out there remembers me or any one of my family

i lived in latimer st from 1945 to 1954 along with my parents reg hopwood and my mum elizabeth also my older brother terry and my younger sister valerie we lived at 2 back of 157 next door to tilly and mary bailey next to them lived brian and barry checkley also quite close lived my young friend arther owl who was fatally injured when he was run over by a lorry on our other side lived a family from ireland by the surname of watson again another tragic accident involved one of there sons young billy watson who on a different accident was also run over and died from the accident but they where not all bad times as although we did not have much we played out from morning to darkness only going home for a jam buttie or if you you where lucky maybe a dripping buttie happy days can remember going to the wheatsheaf pub on the corner of latimer st early on a sunday morning before they opened to sweep up ,empty the ashtrays ,and wash the glasses and was paid the princely sum of six pence and if i was lucky .a bag of smiths crisps ,i think the pub landlord went by the name of ernie addlington .some thing sounding like that any way,on the other corner was a chippy ,and every friday i had to go there for my dads tea of which consisted of faggots and peas but you had take your own basin to put them in also just around the corner in piggot st was a ciggy shop called lambs and my nan used to send me there for menthol snuff weighed out and served in cone shaped little paper bag ,one day i remember ,i was about 9 at the time i decided to have a sneaky pinch on before taking it back to my nan ,nearly blew my head off ,also got a clout off her as she noticed that the tears where streaming down my face ,.i could go on for ever ,again happy days
Lovely to see these pictures as it is hard to find photos of Latimer Street and the terraces. I expect buying a camera was not on most peoples minds back then.

Hi. I have just stumbled across this site and the discussions on Latimer Street. I think we lived at no 24 with my mother, father, three siblings and three aunts! Not sure who had the bath first!
Would somebody please clarify something for me please - do the posts on this site refer to Latimer Street that was changed to Ripley Street or to Latimer Street South? Finding out this morning that there were two Latimer Streets and that one had a name change has really confused me. Any information would be appreciated.

Tommy
I think all the posts refer to events in the last 100 years, so would refer to Latimer St South, as the other street changed it's name in the 1890s

Thank you Mike, very interesting. So we must have lived in Latimer Street South. Strange that my parents and aunties never referred to the "South".
One of the aunts that lived with us then still lives in Birmingham. I shall ask her when I see her next.
Thank you again.

Tommy
Although it is named as Latimer St south on 19th century maps, by 1921 it is just marked as Latimer St, presumably as the other one had then disappeared

Hi, my great grandparents ran a small shop out of their converted front room at 76 Cregoe Street, a sort of a grocers come sweet shop. He was William Robinson, she was Georgina.

Over the years William lived in Latimer Street, Ryland Road and Cregoe Street. I have attached three photos of what appears to be several 'boys day out'. I am pretty sure by the ages of my grand father and great grandfather I have them in the correct order timewise.

If you look carefully you will see a lot of the people appear in all the photos. This would indicate it's maybe a pub trip or some kind of club. I just wondered if anyone recognises a family member on any of the photos or where the trip may have originated?

In the first one my grandfather is sitting on the ground third from the right with the white hat on. He was born in December 1899, so I would guess he is about 14/15 on this photo which puts it about 1915.His father is directly behind him. The next one he is sitting in the charabanc behind the flowers maybe 16/17. In the final one he is again sitting on the floor third from the right maybe 20'ish.

Malcolm

Attachments

• Boys Day Out .jpg
    Boys Day Out .jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Boys Day Out 2.jpg
    Boys Day Out 2.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Boys Day Out 3.jpg
    Boys Day Out 3.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 9
try putting latimer street in the search box as there are probably one or two photos somewhere on the forum

lyn

Back