• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

2nd Cadet Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Dragon

proper brummie kid
I have found a newspaper cutting from the Leamington Spa Courier dated 12 July 1912 stating that my grandfather "Mr. W.E. Greeves, of Leamington, has been appointed to a commission in the 2nd Cadet Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Coventry."

Does this mean he was in the army? Could he have been a civilian volunteer? He died in December 1912, and his obituary mentions his being a lieutenant in the Church Lads Brigade but nothing about the RWR.

Can anyone help me find more information please?

Thanks - Dragon

It's was normal that adult volunteers who ran Army Cadet Force units to be awarded a rank after a suitable time and training.
In the seventies I occasionally gave Judo and PT training to a ACF unit, (well, I was only 25 then) I was asked if I would become a Civilian Instructor which, after two years service and a number of courses I would be commissioned as a Second Lieutenant, regrettably due to work and young family I couldn't commit to it, but I did help fairly regularly as a civilian, about the same time a mate was a Flight Sergent Instructor (I think) with the Air Force Cadets.

Colin

Back