• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment

These are my wife's Grandfathers mobilization papers, recalling him back to the Worcestershire regiment.

Attachments

• mobiization papers.jpg
    mobiization papers.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 18
James

My opologies for not getting back to your posting until now. I have a Jas F. Burke 2nd Bn. Worcesters Regimental number 9331. He was reported wounded in the Worcester Herald (7.10.1914) 9331 Pte. J. Burke - Cambridge.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter - sorry for not replying. I didn't realize the significance of that date. He was my grandfather (9331) and would therefore have missed the Gheluvelt action due to being already wounded, possible at Aisne / Marne earlier on. I am attaching a photo of his medals, wound stripe and other bits which I have just inherited. best regards, James W Burke

ww1_medals_IMG_3607.jpg

I notice in that picture that both identity discs are the same shape, I have my Fathers WW1 discs and one is round He was in the 1st Battalion Worcestershire's

Attachments

• Dog Tags 1.JPG
    Dog Tags 1.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi James,

Thank you for the photo of your Grandfathers medals and name tag which is much appreciated. Do you have a photo of your Grandfather in uniform?

Regards

Peter

Hi Nick,

Your father Dan Nicholls enlisted with the colours on 23 August 1911 and was discharged (wounds) 13 June 1918 aged 24. His Silver War Badge number was 399333. He went to France on 12 December 1914 and was entitled to the 1915 Star and British War and Victory medals.

Regards

Peter

Hi

I have an uncle who served in the 2nd Battalion. He was Francis McEvoy B) 05 June 1886 in Dudley. He also went by the name of Francis or Frank Cooper due to his father passing away 3 months before he was born and he was adopted by the Cooper family. His service number was 7601 and I know he was in Jhansi at the time of the 1911 census. I also know he served in WW1 as we have located his medal record and that he survived WW1.

I am trying to find out if anyone knows anymore about him in particular his rank and theatre's of war

Last edited:
Hi

I have an uncle who served in the 2nd Battalion. He was Francis McEvoy B) 05 June 1886 in Dudley. He also went by the name of Francis or Frank Cooper due to his father passing away 3 months before he was born and he was adopted by the Cooper family. His service number was 7601 and I know he was in Jhansi at the time of the 1911 census. I also know he served in WW1 as we have located his medal record and that he survived WW1.

I am trying to find out if anyone knows anymore about him in particular his rank and theatre's of war
Hi

Hi

Last edited:
Back