• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment

theodore

master brummie
I'm compiling a list of the 1914 Star men (The Old Contemptibles) who served with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in 1914.
These men would have been the regulars already serving at the outbreak of war in August 1914 or the reservists recalled to the colours at that time. I would be interested to hear from any members who had a relative(s) who served with the Worcesters at this time and if they could suplply information (photo) about them it would be most appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Sorry I don't know why they were never made 'Royal' I.ve wondered the same question, my interest in the the Worcesters come from My father served with the 1st Battalion in WW1, and I later found out my wife's Grandfather was with the 3rd Battalion.

nick

Hi all

Thanks for your interest.

Nick, I did know about Gheluvelt thank you.

A.S. Wood, I have 2 William Matthews on my list. Do you have any more details?

Regards

Peter

my great uncle was in the 2nd batalion worcestshire reg his name was albert orme he died the 29 sept 1915 he was only married for nine months befor he was killed he come from ladywood

Hi Josie,

Thanks for your posting. Your Great Uncle Albert was a 1915 Star man and at the moment I'm researching the 1914 Star men. It maybe that in time I will be able to extend coverage to include the 1915 Star men (2nd Bn).

Regards

Peter

Hi A.S. Wood,

I do have William on my database however the only information I have so far been able to gather on him was his Medal Index Card.
From his MIC you will know that he also served in the Royal Engineers 198141. He was entitled to the 1914 Star and British War and Victory Medals. Sailed to France with the 2nd Battalion 14th August 1914. He held the rank of A/Cpl. If you can add any further details i.e. when born (and where) parents names etc. this would be much appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Peter, as I said before my Wife's Grandfather served with the 3rd Batt, he was awarded the 1914 Star posthumously. we have the letter his wife received. thought you might be interested in seeing it.

I don't know why, but I couldn't post the picture, I have posted pictures before on this site with no problems.
Nick

Hello, Can anyone help me please? My G Grandfather Thomas Farley from Birmingham served in the Worcestershire Regiment cavalry No 200998. He survived the war but died in 1919 in the flu epidemic. Is there any way to find out any more about him please? Many thanks for any information. Anne

Hi Anne

According to the Medal Index Card Thomas Farley No 200998 was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and was entitled to the British War & Victory Medals. If you have his medals look on the rim. It should show WAR. R. for the Royal Warwicks. I will have a look to see if there is any further info on him and let you know.

Tony

Hi Peter,
My gt. uncle was in the Worcester Hussars (yeomanry) - don't know the battalion - he was Frederick James Bray and he died in Eygpt/Palestine, his memorial is on the Jerusalem Memorial in Israel - he was 23 years old, married with a very young son. I would love to know more about him. He was a talented china painter at Worcester and a little of his work was sold. My second cousin has a small piece.
Sheri

Hi Tony,
Thank you very much for that info. My nephew has researched our family tree so I was trusting it to be correct as he studied history at uni. I'm afraid I don't have Thomas Farleys medals, haven't got a clue where they are. Any info much appreciated.
Regards,
Anne

Last edited:
Hi again Anne
Your Great Grandfather's military records are available on Ancestry.co.uk British Army Service Records 1914-1920. Some of the records are damaged probably due to the London Blitz known as The Burnt Records. However most have survived. I would strongly recommend you access these as it will give you quite a lot of information about him. Certainly his medical and discipline records are interesting. Here is an overview of his service
Attested to the 5th Territorial (Res) Btn Royal Warwickshire Regiment No 3645 12/12/1914 in Birmingham, aged 18 years six months. Living at 162 Pershore St Birmingham. Mother Annie Farley.
He later transfered to the 2/5th and then 2/6th Royal Warwickshire Regiment No 200998. Went overseas 21/05/1916.
In April 1918 became a POW not sure where but probably during the German Spring Offensive 1918.
Repatriated January 1919 & demobilized 09/04/1919 having served 4 years 87 days.

There are two letters in his service records from J.B. Bruce Ltd, Shopfitters & Brass Founders, Havelock Works, Holloway Head, Bham & H Westbury & Co 96a Coleshill St, Bham. Both letters state that Thomas had previously worked for them prior to August 1914 and that his job was still open to him on return to 'Civil Life'.

Hope this is of use. Best of look in your research

Tony

Hi Tony, Thank you so much. I will have a look on Ancestry. I had no idea he was a POW. Such a shame he didn't live long when he came back. He didn't take up their offers of work as I believe he became a county court bailiff known to everyone as 'Tommy fetch 'em back'. Many thanks, once again.
Anne

Hi Peter. My grandfather was called James Francis Burke. We think he was probably in 2nd Bttn (or possibly 4th). He was definitely in the Worcesters before WW1, in India & Malta. If you have his regimental number I would be very grateful. I'm trying to trace his military career. He was born 1887 in Mile End / Stepney in London.

Back