• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment

theodore

master brummie
James

My opologies for not getting back to your posting until now. I have a Jas F. Burke 2nd Bn. Worcesters Regimental number 9331. He was reported wounded in the Worcester Herald (7.10.1914) 9331 Pte. J. Burke - Cambridge.

Regards

Peter

VillaJ

Hi

To theidore/Peter are you still an active user? I have information regarding the second worcesters and would like to get in contact if possible.

ta.

Brookieboy

master brummie
Hi Villaj,
I hope I'm not butting in but as you are talking about the 2n Bn. Worcester Regiment but I wondered if you could answer a question for me; my father served in the 3rd bn Worcester and was posted to Rouen on 17th August 1914, was discharged on 1st October, 1915 as sick but does not say what the sickness was. I have a record dated 14 Dec. 1916 with several other names also stating 'Sickness' but no reference, my memory tells me that he was gassed but whether that is right I do not know as he died in 1944 when I was 16yrs of age. I should be grateful if you could enlighten me as to this 'Sickness'

VillaJ

sorry brookieboy cant help try Worcestershire soldier enquiries tel 01905 721981 my grandfather was in b company 2 battalion was in INDIA before ww1 was in ALDERSHOT IN 1914 sent to FRANCE in august was at MONS AND THE RETREAT was injured but don't know where or when WORCESTERS SAID RECORDS DISTROYED IN BOMBING IN LONDON would be grateful if any one could help

Brookieboy

master brummie
Hi VillaJ,
Tks for reply I will try that number that you kindly gave, they may give me the same reply but will try anyway, tks again.

theodore

master brummie
Hi Villa

Yes I'm still researching the 14 Star men of the 2nd Bn. Worcestershire Regiment. What was your Grandfather name? He should be on my database.

Regards

Peter

poihipi

master brummie
Hi Villa

Yes I'm still researching the 14 Star men of the 2nd Bn. Worcestershire Regiment. What was your Grandfather name? He should be on my database.

Regards

Peter
Hi, my Grandfather Harry Ebeneezer Earp L/Sgt 5158 was with the 4th Battalion killed 06/08/15 Gallipoli name on the Helles Memorial. I believe in 1901 he was at Ramilles Barracks Hampshire.
I also believe there was a brother William but I haven't yet managed to find him

JFreemantle

Hi
My Grandma's cousin Thomas Alfred Dumbleton died on 31/10/14 at Gheluvelt. He was a career soldier who had also been in the Boer War. Any relations out there? Have you seen the Memorial at Gheluvelt Park Worcester? There is a lot of info on the Regimental website also.
Cheers Joy

theodore

master brummie
Hi
My Grandma's cousin Thomas Alfred Dumbleton died on 31/10/14 at Gheluvelt. He was a career soldier who had also been in the Boer War. Any relations out there? Have you seen the Memorial at Gheluvelt Park Worcester? There is a lot of info on the Regimental website also.
Cheers Joy

Hi Joy

Do you have a photograph of Thomas? I have him on my database and have details from 1881, 1891 and 1911 census returns. I also have birth, marriage and CWGC details for him. If you can help with any other information it would be most appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Brookieboy

master brummie
Villaj - Have contacted the number you gave who gave me another number to ring which is 01905 721982 this is the Worcester Regiment Museum; they were very very helpful but it seems that I have more information on my father than they have but could not help me on his 'Illness' although they are going to look into it further and ring me back later in the week. thanks for you help. Perhaps the number above may help others doing research.

Mashman

Brummie babby
Hi

I have an uncle who served in the 2nd Battalion. He was Francis McEvoy B) 05 June 1886 in Dudley. He also went by the name of Francis or Frank Cooper due to his father passing away 3 months before he was born and he was adopted by the Cooper family. His service number was 7601 and I know he was in Jhansi at the time of the 1911 census. I also know he served in WW1 as we have located his medal record and that he survived WW1.

I am trying to find out if anyone knows anymore about him in particular his rank and theatre's of war

Mashman

Brummie babby
Thank you that has been a great help I can now see his rank enlistment and reason for discharge

Regards

Mark

brummie nick

master brummie
Hi bewdley, do you know how the numbering system worked,? I have my fathers silver badge record number 339 333 he was discharged on the 13-6 1818.

pjmburns

master brummie
I am not sure about the numbering. They seem to be more or less alphabetical on a page and the numbered consecutively. I did think it was discharge date but that is not the case. They seem to be listed in books according to regiment. My Grandfather's is 339860 and his discharge date is 12th March 1918. His entry is in a book labelled RE 1501 - 1800 (I assume RE is Royal Engineers). There re gaps in the numbering as if a regiment was issued with a block of numbers.

Janice

paul stacey

master brummie
I know that the early Worcestershire was associated with the my old regiment "Coldstream Guards", and that their Cap Badge was designed by an early commanding officer who was once a Coldstreamer. Paul

sammo

Peter hi good afternoon

I am researching my grandfathers service history. Walter B Morton,
He was originally with the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment and he
sailed to France on the troopship “Bosnian” on the 14th August 1914.

The 3rd Worcestershire received their orders on the 12th August 1914.
Early on the morning of the 13th August, about 5 a.m., the 3rd
Battalion left Tidsworth for Southampton. Although they arrived at
Southampton Docks at 7 a.m. the same day, it was not till early on the
following day that the S.S. “Bosnian” sailed. The “Bosnian” cast anchor
off Havre, France on the 15th August 1914.
Check out the pages on the 3rd Battalion on the website.

He was awarded the following medals;
1914 Star with Clasp
British War Medal
Victory Medal
Silver War Badge (awarded to those wounded or unable to serve due to
sickness).

any info you have with regards to the battalion and where they went, would be grateful.
He was gassed early on in conflict and returned to UK to recover. Then rejoined the Worcs, with a different service number, and then joined the Durham Light Infantry and went to Archangel, Murmansk .

regards

Tony Sammons

theodore

master brummie
Hi Tony

I'm only researching 2nd Battalion men at present but would recommend the 'The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War' by Captain H.FitzM. Stacke, M.C.
You may be able to find a copy at your local reference library but if not the book was reprinted and is available (hard back or soft back) from The Naval & Military Press Ltd (www.naval-militarypress.com). This is an excellent history and will give you the details regarding the 3rd Battalion during the 14-18 War.

Regards

Peter