• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

2nd Battalion Worcesters 1914

theodore

master brummie
Old Contemptibles

I'm researching the men of the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment from August to November 1914. I have been working on a database for 3 years now and at present I have 1666 names of men who sailed for France/Belgium between these dates. I would like to hear from any member who had a relative or who has any information on men from Birmingham (and the surrounding area) who served with the Battalion during this period. These men would be known as the Old Contemptibles after the Kaiser's famous remark about General French's contemptible little army.

I'm new to this site, only finding it a few days ago and am most impressed by what I have seen so far. I wish I had come across it sooner and hope that I can add more informtion to the database for the men from Birmingham. Of paticular interest would be for men that were at the battle of Gheluvelt on 31st October 1914 when the Worcesterhire made their famous charge.

Regards

Peter

Welcome Peter. Best of luck with your research. You will find us a frienly bunch and always ready to help in any way, there is always someone who either knows of knows where to find information.

Hi Mike-G

Thank you for your warm welcome. I was over your way this afternoon visiting the Saffordshire Regiment Museum. My great uncle was killed serving with the 8th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment, he was just 17 years old.

eThe museum staff are very helpful, my grandaughter had a project on ww1 they put themselves out for her, copied pages of war diaries and photographs etc

It's one place I keep meaning to visit and it's only up the road. I must make the effort!

Old Contemptibles

I'm researching the men of the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment from August to November 1914. I have been working on a database for 3 years now and at present I have 1666 names of men who sailed for France/Belgium between these dates. I would like to hear from any member who had a relative or who has any information on men from Birmingham (and the surrounding area) who served with the Battalion during this period. These men would be known as the Old Contemptibles after the Kaiser's famous remark about General French's contemptible little army.

I'm new to this site, only finding it a few days ago and am most impressed by what I have seen so far. I wish I had come across it sooner and hope that I can add more informtion to the database for the men from Birmingham. Of paticular interest would be for men that were at the battle of Gheluvelt on 31st October 1914 when the Worcesterhire made their famous charge.

Regards

Peter
Hi Peter, my Great Grandfather Alan Charles young was in the 2nd Worc rgt and according to his medal card was awarded the 14 Star. Unfortunately I do not have a picture of him and have very little info on him. After the War he served as a postman in Birmingham and according to his postal records he suffered from shell shock/deafness
Old Contemptibles

Regards

Peter
Hi Peter,
My Great Grandfather Alan Charles Young was in the 2nd Worc rgt and according to his medal Card was awarded the 14 Star. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of him or much information on him. I do have his postal records as he served as a postman in Birmingham after the War for 17 years. He was receiving a permanent 60% pension for deafness and shell shock. I would love to find out any further info on him.

Regards

Luan

Old Contemptibles

Regards

Peter
I am trying to find WW1 records of my Grandfather Francis Bartholomew Murphy, Born Kidderminster Jan. 1878 joined Worcestershire regiment 11/06/1898. Attestation no. 5004 under name of Frank Murphy. May have rejoined again later as a married man. One of his children born in Luton during the war, could he have been stationed there? It has been said that he trained new recruits.
I am unable to find any further info. Any additional info please.
Carolann

Carolann
Don't forget that a lot of WW1 records were destroyed during WW2 so you may not find any war records. If he joined as a regular soldier than his regiment may have some details or will be able to tell you where records may be found.

Hi Peter, my Great Grandfather Alan Charles young was in the 2nd Worc rgt and according to his medal card was awarded the 14 Star. Unfortunately I do not have a picture of him and have very little info on him. After the War he served as a postman in Birmingham and according to his postal records he suffered from shell shock/deafness

Hi Peter,
My Great Grandfather Alan Charles Young was in the 2nd Worc rgt and according to his medal Card was awarded the 14 Star. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of him or much information on him. I do have his postal records as he served as a postman in Birmingham after the War for 17 years. He was receiving a permanent 60% pension for deafness and shell shock. I would love to find out any further info on him.

Regards

Luan

Hi Luan,

I have your G/Grandfather on my list. His service record does not appear to have survived the bombing in 1940 and apart from MIC, 1914 Star Roll and BW & Victory Medal Roll details I have little regards his army service. He enlisted 23rd September 1902 and was discharged (wounds) 30th March 1915. He went to France 12th September 1914 so would have been in one of the reinforcement drafts sent to the battalion (most probably the 3rd which joined late September).

Regards

Peter

I am trying to find WW1 records of my Grandfather Francis Bartholomew Murphy, Born Kidderminster Jan. 1878 joined Worcestershire regiment 11/06/1898. Attestation no. 5004 under name of Frank Murphy. May have rejoined again later as a married man. One of his children born in Luton during the war, could he have been stationed there? It has been said that he trained new recruits.
I am unable to find any further info. Any additional info please.
Carolann

Hi Carolann,

Sorry I don't have a Francis B. Murphy on my database so he would not have been a 1914 Star man (with the Worcesters). With the date you gave for his enlistment I thought he may have served in S/Africa but found no record for King's or Queen's S/Africa Medal (again with Worcesters). Found census returns but nothing regards Army records.

Regards

Peter

Thank you for looking. There was some talk of him being in South Africa but I have no evidence. My Mum was one of the youngest and only heard anything from the older siblings.

Old Contemptibles

Regards

Peter
Hello. I was in Gheluvelt in November 2017 & 2018. Stayed very near ("on" it in fact !) to the front line which the 1st Btn Royal Warwickshire Regiment held so tenaciously against the Bosche and which 2nd Btn Worcestershire Regiment supported by their heroic charge. I went to see where the charge began and I am advised that the crops growing there, and terrain, haven't changed that much since ! I wouldn't want to "charge" across it I can tell you. Anyway, by luck I met two men who might be of great interest to you. The one ("Mark")produced an excellent documentary about it which I first heard on the BBC. He even has contact with the grand daughter of Major Edmund Hankey who led the charge that fateful day, and he was asked by her to lay a wreath at the Gheluvelt memorial to the Worcestershires on 11 November 2018. It was a simple but moving ceremony which I was proud to attend and humbled to be invited to . The second man ("Charlie") I met on a rainy saturday afternoon in a British cemetery which is now home to a couple of "old boys" of my old school. The minute I heard Charlie speak to his pal I knew where the two of them came from. Now his granfather, of whom he has a photograph, and who's medals he has, was in the charge !, and Charlie has a lot of detail you might appreciate . I wouldn't like to give out the email addresses of Mark and Charlie "in public" BUT please contact one of the administrators of this site , draw their attention to this "post" and ask them to send your email to me (they have it because I registered using it) and I will gladly make the introductions. Best wishes. Paul Bennett

Hi Paul,

What is your interest with the 2nd Worcesters?

The first person you met, Mark, I think I may know and have had some exchange of info with previous. I could check my data regards the grandfather of Charlie if you have his name.

Regards

Peter

Good evening Theodore

Does the name Higgit ring a bell ? If so , and if you are already in touch with him, then tell him you "met" me here and ask him to get you and Charlie in touch. I know he has his email address and Mark is a very helpful and knowledgeable chap. Its just that I dont like to bandy someone's email address out in the open if you know what I mean. BUT get back to me if you have any problems. Good luck with your research - the more light that can be shed on that band of hero's the better. Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes I thought it must be Mark Higgitt. Our paths crossed a while back when Mark was producing his Gheluvelt programme. I have not been in contact for a while but could email him again.
Thank you for posting the info regards your trip(s) to Gheluvelt, I am always searching for more information regards the men of the 2nd Worcestershire Regiment who were serving with the battalion during the period August - December 1914. Photographs of the men are always most welcome but harder to come across.

Regards

Peter

Back