• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

28 bus route

I think the first word on the destination sign is "Station St" - that's where the bus was probably heading up town

Tarrarabit

Tried but failed. Could just about make out the Via as Small Heath?

The route of the no 28

Oct 1935 City - Small Heath - Castle Bromwich - Erdington - Kingstanding
May 1948 Extended Kingstanding to Great Barr as the number 28A
Feb 1955 28A renumbered 28

I don't have details of the changes after the WMPTE takeover.

I think it is

BIRMINGHAM -GREAT BARR
VIA SMALL HEATH 29A

Because remember BCT buses did not change their destination boards at the end of the route, showing the same board whichever way they were travelling.

Thank you Ingleton for naming the location , i would not got that if you ask me , i did live in Small heath for a while
in the very early of the 1970s but never venture that way down oldknow road only the Coventry road end , I did look
on google street view earlier but i cant make out where in oldknow road the photo was taken .
ragga
:unconscious:

Ragga,

The exact spot the pic was taken from is probably now covered by the Small Heath Hwy, but if you look again at Google Maps and go to the south end of Oldknow Road, where it turns west into Waverley Road, you can see a blue Google bus stop map symbol a few yards into Waverley Road. Well, that just about where the bus stop used to be, and where the pic was taken. The street coming in at the left side of the pic is the south end of Oldknow Road

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ingleton

I have just been down Oldknow Road on Google Street view, and I doubt very much if a 28 bus could even be driven down there these days, with so many cars parked either side. Streetview also shows a brilliant view from the same vantage point of the original pic, even showing the same houses at the end of Oldknow Road

View attachment 79516

Am i certain it started it journey from here in Station Street to Great Barr ??
ragga :pride:

If I remember correctly, the starting point in Station St had a long covered shelter with hand rails. I think it was almost directly outside the New St Station entrance in Station St.

Anyway, here's a nerdy type question. The 28 had a rather peculiar route for anyone wanting to go from Dyas Road into town, the pretty way if you like, but how many can name the bus routes it crossed on it's journey. I think I can go as far as Castle Bromwich, but I may have a couple wrong.

The first I'm not sure about, but I'll go for 29A and 33 Kingstanding
5a and 7 College Rd
65 (bust terminus)
64 Yenton
66 Tyburn Road

Who can carry it on or fill in any gaps?

With the two photos just posted we can confirm that the destination board said "Station St & Great Barr". Photo in post 50 looks as if the stop was oposite New Street Station between the Electric Cinema and the junction with Hill Street.

With a cover over the parking meter right by the bus stop, it looks as if this is a recent move.

Last edited:
the 28 route was covered by Liverpool St and Highgate Road. After Highgate Rd was closed, it appears Lea Hall also got involved.
Of the pictures I've been through, these are my thoughts"
2428,1925,1888,1890 and 2859 Liverpool St
1783,2832,1809 Lea Hall.
2428 is the best picture I have,all the other are pretty blurry, although 1783 has an interesting blind of 28F - Kingstanding Road and another road underneath with I cannot make out. It is very obviously at Lea Hall.
I cant't think I have any other pictures of buses from either garage with a 28 destination but will over the course of the next little while have a look, assuming most of these pictures would relate to the early 60's when I was fairly familiar with which stock was at which garages.

The picture was taken at the junction of Oldknow Road and Waverley Road, Small Heath, outside the then Labour Exchange, where the bus driver had to put his key in the clock ( I suspect there is a technical term for this ) It always used to tick me off having to wait for the minutes to tick off until the driver was able to leave the stop

Putting the key in the clock used to be referred to as "pegging the clock"

In the 70s the 28 started in town and went to Great Barr as described by Alberta. In about 1980 the section between Small Heath and town was cut, and the southern terminus of the route became Waverley Road by Small Heath Park.

You're right Dakers. By the 70's/80's it never went into town.

It was a mystery of a route by then. I always used to think that the bus routes were like a spiders web in Brum. With all routes coming from the outside more or less directly into the centre with the number 11 and number 8 (outer and inner circle) acting as the bits of the web that held the spokes together. It worked well as it meant that you were never really more than a couple of bus rides from anywhere in Brum. The 28 though made a complete mess of this theory as it was a right heggledy piggledy route, a bit of the web created when the spider was drunk.

That's interesting StetchfordPaul as I never remember ever being able to catch the 28 to go into town. If it had in the 70s I would definitely have used it. It's a question answered that's been nagging me for some time. Now answered many thanks. Viv.

the 28 route was covered by Liverpool St and Highgate Road. After Highgate Rd was closed, it appears Lea Hall also got involved.
Of the pictures I've been through, these are my thoughts"
2428,1925,1888,1890 and 2859 Liverpool St
1783,2832,1809 Lea Hall.
2428 is the best picture I have,all the other are pretty blurry, although 1783 has an interesting blind of 28F - Kingstanding Road and another road underneath with I cannot make out. It is very obviously at Lea Hall.
I cant't think I have any other pictures of buses from either garage with a 28 destination but will over the course of the next little while have a look, assuming most of these pictures would relate to the early 60's when I was fairly familiar with which stock was at which garages.

28F destination was Kingstanding Road Hawthorn Road

Hi Stechford Paul,

Bit like a dartboard really, with the 19 City Circle being the '25'.
Don't forget the 36 though, that took a pretty roundabout route
to get from Stechford to the city. And the 1A and 2 which didn't
go anywhere near town!

Kind regards

Dave

Back