• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

28 bus route

Going onwards from Short Heath towards Kingstanding, I think the only pub in between would have been the Crossways at Perry Common. Going the other way along Chester Road, there was also the Digby, set right back from the road.

I used to catch the 28 at the junction of Streetly Road and Short Heath Road, or at the bottom of Bleak Hill. I can tell you us school girls were barbaric when it came to getting onto that bus. We took NO prisoners!!! Viv.

If only I'd had known Viv, you could have popped in for a cup of rosie.

btw it wasn't the Crown and Cushion in Gravelly Lane it was the Rose and Crown. The Crown and Cushion is in Perry Barr

Viv Don,t forget the Golden Cross on the corner of Turfpits Lane. Now gone replaced with houses. Dek

Closest pub to where I lived. Remember the lounge had a fake tree in the middle, and in the room on the right as you went in they had groups. I used to know a couple in a group that played there regularly called The Climbers. Think it turned into a club for a while, Oshea's rings a bell. When I was a kid there were often punch ups inside and out on a Friday or Saturday night.

Just remembered something else about the 28 route. Coming from Kingstanding (Hawthorn Road) and just before you hit College Rd on the left was (might still be) the Old Edwardians cricket ground. They had an old plane at the entrance, might well have been a Spitfire. Anyone else remember that?

I remember getting on the No 28 bus on the Chester Road with my brother, to the stop before the Pelham by the shops, how happy I was to be travelling THAT way because we were going to my Nanny & Grandad for our holiday.........................

After the holidays were over my brother & I got on the No 28 to return to the stop just before Orphanage Road with a very sad heart as my brother & I, plus suitcases, slowly walked back to the Orphanage
How I hated THAT return journey :crushed:

The Lakey Lane Loop was used by the 31,31A and 32 routes running to the Acocks Green area. All routes arrived at the same terminus but as I recall the 31 went via Shaftmoor Lane the 32 followed a different route but I can't remember where. If memory is correct the 31 returned as a 32 and the 32 as a 31.
Lloyd should be able to help......his memory is far superior to mine.

h i tardbridge
if my memory serves me correctly it did at one time travel up the foremans rd and stopped ot side lucas ;
as we caught a bus rom the city centre one or the other ; ie ; new street or corporation street
and we got off out side lucas.s i went with a friend to meet his father to asked for some money for his mothr as she had o mony that day for the
and as they was of an irish oringn the fatherliked his drink; his mother ws profound death nd they livedin braithwate street spark hill
and sghe needed money this was 1961 period and it made its way across the tysleys to gospel lane . but it as changed many years ago ;
best wishes astonian ;;

[FONT=&amp]Hi Mortum,

From recollection the destination blind on the 28 bus
read ' Station Street and Great Barr via Small Heath'

The 31A and the 32 both terminated at Gospel Lane Loop
the 31A turning off the Stratford Road at Shaftmoor lane,
and going via Olton Boulevard East, , Warwick Road, Gospel
Lane, and Severne Road. The 32 turned off the Stratford
Road at School Road Hall Green, and crossed Fox Hollies Road
into Lakey Lane. What I would like to know is what happened
to the 31 route, as I don't think I ever saw a 31 bus!

Kind regards[/FONT]

Thanks Dave89 for the info. I assume this subject of the 31/32 route relates to when BCT/WMPTE operated. I once again from memory the 31A only went part way, possibly to the factory on Shaftmoor Lane. Since you never saw at 31, here's a picture of 2974 running the 31 and 2321 on the 32

Attachments

• JOJ 974.jpg
    JOJ 974.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 55
Hi Tardebigge,

The 31A bus did terminate at Gospel Lane Loop, - that's
what puzzles me! By the way, the bus in the picture is a 31A.
I'm thinking back to BCT days, and their 1950's route map
doesn't seem to show the 31 either!

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Astonian

I think the only bus that stopped outside Lucas's
in Formans Road was the 36 'Stechford and Station Street
via Formans Road' It turned left at the top of Formans Road
then right along Olton Boulevard West., then left at Tynedale
Road to Knight's Road, and across the Warwick Road. It then
went up Tyseley Hill Road, and along Kings Road to Hay Mills,
then on to Stechford terminus at Richmond Road Stechford.

Hope you are well,

Kind regards

Dave

Its been 2 years since I was in UK but whilst there,there were variations of the 28(maybe A and B) at Great Barr . At the "Clifton"one went up to the Scott Arms and the other went down to Perry Barr shopping precinct.I think the 28 itself still used the original terminus at Dyas Road. May have changed though in the last 2 years.

Hi

I remember the 28 when it used to terminate at Hawthorne Rd. Dyas Rd. was not a a completed road and was only a hard core laid with the sand pits on the right had side before they built the housing estate.

I remember in the 1950's a youth got killed on the sand pits in Dyas Rd. children used carve out caves in the sand pit face and it used to collapse on them..

When they finally surfaced Dyas Rd. it used save use a trek up Dyas hill it was a real boom.

The "terminus" of the 28 was in Station Street, at the back end of New St Station, the bus stop being right opposite what was then The Tatler, but is now The Electric. Used to catch it there every Saturday to go to my Nan's in Butler Street South, off Bolton Road, where the Citroen dealership is now

Tarrarabit

What amazes me about this route is I never knew most of it. I only knew a short section of it. Didn't realise until it was mentioned here that the #28 went into town. Viv.

evening all
I am glad that my post has bought back memories of the 28 a rather insignificant bus route but it seems that a lot of people used some part of it at one time or another in their daily routine.

Well it looks like it's going via Small Heath, but can't read the rest - except it's ...... & ....... via Small Heath. Viv.

Its something Great Barr via Small Heath , i like to know the location it was took Tardibigge ?
ragga
:unconscious:

The picture was taken at the junction of Oldknow Road and Waverley Road, Small Heath, outside the then Labour Exchange, where the bus driver had to put his key in the clock ( I suspect there is a technical term for this ) It always used to tick me off having to wait for the minutes to tick off until the driver was able to leave the stop

Back