• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

28 bus route

I'm sure I used to catch the 1A up to the cricket ground. Number 11 from The manor House (prev The Bull) to Acocks Green and then the 1A to Edgbaston. I think the 1A terminated at 5ways so nearish town.

Was a disappointing shock when I discovered that Stechford used to be part of old Worcestershire rather than Warwickshire. All those years catching the bus up to Edgbaston and I should have been supporting the "other lot"

The 1/1A has turned at various places between City Centre - Town Hall - Broad Street - Five Ways over the years.

Much of South Birmingham was formerly in Worcestershire. The River Rea which runs past Edgbaston cricket ground was the old county boundary and many years ago a Worcestershire cricketer dined out on the story of how he was playing against Warwickshire and hit a six back into Worcestershire. Obviously this was before there were any terraces on that side of the ground.

Yes of course, The 1A terminated in the 1950s in Congreve Street.
I had it in mind that it was a short route from Acocks Green to Moseley.
Shows you what the passage of time can do to your memory!!

Kind regards

Dave

View attachment 79516

Am i certain it started it journey from here in Station Street to Great Barr ??
ragga :pride:

Another shot of the 28 terminus in Station St (1962). Remember walking out of the station entrance on 26th December that year to catch the 28. The snow had just started to fall. Little did I know at the time that it would still be lying around three months later.

StationStEntrance.jpg

And today

StationStNow.jpg

pretty sure this is small heath outside what was unemployment office. Think it was waverly road? road on left is probably malmesbury road or oldknow road

Great memories of end of school at 3.50 then running to catch the 3.55 no 28 leaving the Dyas rd tremius then jumping of at crossways lights bus still moving because a no 5 or 7 was coming and jumping on next bus yes a moving bus real kids and real buses no H/S oh yea in real snow.

Back