• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

28 bus route

philbee

birmingham born and bred
afternoon all
heres one for all the bus experts i used to catch the 28 at the fox and goose to go to the pelham but i cant remember where the bus went after i got off anyone got the bus route as a matter of interest?
phil :encouragement:

Philbee

I'm sure after the Pelham it then went up Belchers Lane and all the way to Small Heath by the back of the park.

Suzanne

Phil how far do you want to go.It continued up Belchers Lane and turned right onto Yardley Green Rd.Dek

dek and suzanne
thanks for your prompt reply i only ask because i only went as far as the pelham on the 28 and i was having a senior moment the other night when it suddenly came to me and i was trying to work out where it went from there i presume it went into town or did it terminate somwhere?
phil

I know the #28 went through Kingstanding. It came along Dyas Road, then Hawthorn Road, down to Perry Common Library. I used to catch it to school and got off at Short Heath Road. I think it must have started in Great Barr somewhere as it came along Dyas Road and crossed Kingstanding Road to go down Hawthorn Road.. Viv.

Oh yes it went through Erdington too, near to Station Road, then I think on towards Chester Road. Viv.

The 28 came up from town through Digbeth and Deritend, turned left under Bordesley Station bridge, went down Coventry Road, turned right by the Old Lodge pub into Bordesley Park Road, then along Bolton Road toward Small Heeth Park. From the corner of Bordesley Park Road to Oakley Road was a penny ha'penny....

Never realised the #28 went through town. Funny how you only really know your own neck of the woods. I always thought the 28 ran from Dyas Rd to somewhere along the Chester Road!! That seems to be only a small part of the route. Viv.

Getting into full swing now. I remember the # 28 went from Erdington, Yenton, up to Wylde Green bowling alley, then turned right at that junction onto Chester Road, past Ansty college (used to have a brown sign with gold lettering for the college on the left hand side), then along Kingsbury Road past the Tyburn Inn. Then it went past Austin Rover on the right, Casle Vale on the left. I think it then went on to Castle Brom, although not too sure about that.Viv.

What an interesting question, the 28 bus route was also one of those mysteries I was unable to solve too.

I remember the terminus at Dyas Road, all the way throught Short heath, Erdington, Chester Road Pype Hayes, past the Clock Garage Castel Bromwich and on up the Newport Road.

That was a far as I ever got, but I am sure it used to say ‘Lakey lane loop’ on the sign on the front.

Just spoken to my Exhusband who did his 'routes' as a bus driver almost 50 years ago.
He recalls
The Markets Edgbaston Street to Small Heath
Golden hillock road,
St Benedicts Road
Green Lane
Belchers Lane
The Pelham
the Fox and Goose
Newport road
Chester road, Pype Hayes
turn left at the 'Pavilion'
right at Station road crossroads,
Erdington Red Lion
Short heath road
Kingstanding
Dyas Road Terminus.

thanks for all replies to my query its funny how we all used to use these buses but only know the part of the route that we used heres another the 56 from the clock garage i remember when you could see the passengers jumping from the rear platform as they came round the island just so they could catch their next bus they all looked like paratroopers when they alighted of course a practice stopped when they brought in the new buses
phil

thanks for all replies to my query its funny how we all used to use these buses but only know the part of the route that we used heres another the 56 from the clock garage i remember when you could see the passengers jumping from the rear platform as they came round the island just so they could catch their next bus they all looked like paratroopers when they alighted of course a practice stopped when they brought in the new buses
phil

Yes there was a knack to stepping off the back of a moving bus without doing cartwheels in the road.

We used to step off the no 5 as it was going up Witton Lodge Road.

A bit of a basic question, but is the 28 still running, and along the same route? Viv

A bit of a basic question, but is the 28 still running, and along the same route? Viv

https://www.brumagem.co.uk/Bus-Route-28_Birmingham.shtm

Not much of a change from the old route, but I note it ends now in Bordesley.I used to live on the corner of Short Heath and Streetly Rd and the 28 stopped right outside the house. The 28 formed a part of my Sunday 'treat' on occasions for several years. My dad used to take me into town on the 65 and that was when the terminus was by the General. We used to walk up past the Gaumomt and into Colmore Row, cut through by the churchyard and down into Corporation St and into New St station. We'd then catch the train to Lichfield, and then back to New St, out into Station St and catch the 28 home. Some of the route now is vague, but I remember coming out and turning right at the Birds custard facory, then under the bridge by what used to be Dolls club and down Coventry Road, then we turned right and ended up in Small Heath somewhere. Trying to think of the name of the road in Small Heath where the driver had to clock in. Then Bordesley, Washwood heath, Castle Brom, Pype Hayes, past the Yenton, down to the Pavillion, turn ledt into Gravelly Lane past the Crown and Cushion, Red Lion and home.

Just remembered it was Waverely Rd where the driver used to have to clock coming into town and Bordesley Green out of town

Aslo just remembered we tried to name all of the pubs we passed on the route. The ones I can remember are:

Red Lion, Crown and Cushion, Yenton, The bagot, Tyburn House, Fox and Goose and the Pelham

Going onwards from Short Heath towards Kingstanding, I think the only pub in between would have been the Crossways at Perry Common. Going the other way along Chester Road, there was also the Digby, set right back from the road.

I used to catch the 28 at the junction of Streetly Road and Short Heath Road, or at the bottom of Bleak Hill. I can tell you us school girls were barbaric when it came to getting onto that bus. We took NO prisoners!!! Viv.

Viv Don,t forget the Golden Cross on the corner of Turfpits Lane. Now gone replaced with houses. Dek

Back