• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

278 great lister street in 1921

Sherbert83

Would anyone know where I can find out what kind of shop/establishment was at this address in 1921?
I have come across a trade directory listing for who I believe is my great, great grandmother but it doesn’t tell me her occupation or what kind of place it is.
Additionally, I’d be interested in pictures of this street around this time period if anyone’s has any or could direct me to any.

Thanks in advance

A question first. The entry is for a Maud Clews. Do you know if she became Maud Davis (wife of William Davis)? If so then she is still lsted at 278 in the 1940 directory and is listed as a "hardware dealer". I can't tell when it became a hardware shop.

Would anyone know where I can find out what kind of shop/establishment was at this address in 1921?
I have come across a trade directory listing for who I believe is my great, great grandmother but it doesn’t tell me her occupation or what kind of place it is.
Additionally, I’d be interested in pictures of this street around this time period if anyone’s has any or could direct me to any.

Thanks in advance

Sherbert,

The shop on the right of this image is number 280 in 1954. If you want to see more images of Great Lister Street just type the name into the search box.

Nechells Great Lister Street No 279-280 2-4-1954 .jpg

Back