• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

LEWIS,27 Gladstone terrace Guildford Street

Emily Maud Elvina

proper brummie kid
Hi all from Australia.. l am new to this forum and enquiring if there is any living family members of Charles and Betsy Lewis, according to the 1911 Census they lived there at that time along with their children Emily Alice Charles Florence Ivy Violet and Ruby. My grandmother was Emily and migrated to New Zealand, unfortunately I can’t find her on the passenger list as I have no date’s or name of vessel, just that she would have been a war bride. Hoping to find a hint or a link.
Cheers from Lyn downunder

hi lyn and welcome...i suspect gladstone terrace was in guildford street so i will add street to your thread title...could you give us more info please such as emilys date of birth and who she married and when...with a bit of luck someone maybe able to look up the passenger list for you..

all the best from another lyn

She was Emily Elvina Maud Lewis b 1899 and married Leonard young in Birmingham in 1919.
I can't see any passenger lists with Leonard or Emily, but 1928 New Zealand list of electors has Emily Elvina Maud Young, address, Sheffield, Honurui, Canterbury , she is status , married but no sign of Leonard.

Last edited:
Hi lyn and Alberta .. your response is very welcome. Emily was born in1899 certificate shows back of 48 park road on the 12th January sub- district of All Saints Birmingham. Married Leonard Young 1919 marriage quarter 3 county of Warwickshire Birmingham. Yes she settled in Canterbury, lastly in Christchurch. I have been searching for info, specific to my past heritage ( where did the Spanish come in on Emilys side ) unfortunately l hit the wall . I accidentally stumbled onto this forum, enjoyed reading the posts, and thought to give it a go and reach out.
Thank you for the post
lyn

Not about your relative but if you search for "Guildford Street" using the magnifying glass top right then that thread has some references to Gladstone Terrace including a map showing where it was.

hi lyn give it a while as we have very knowledgeable members who maybe able to help you further...in the meantime click on the link below to take you to the guildford st thread where many old photos have been posted...they will give you an insight into the street that emilys family would have been familiar with...all gone now of course..demolished late 1960s/70s...start reading from post 1 so that you do not miss anything

lyn

Hi Lyn, this map from the 1950s shows 27 Gladstone Terrace, as far as I am aware we have no pictures of Gladstone Terrace but you can get a feel for the area by going to:
www.leroux.co.uk/aston

Attachments

• 27gladstoneterrace.jpg
    27gladstoneterrace.jpg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 8
This is an aerial view of Gladstone Terrace from the 1950s, closest we have to a picture of the house I'm afraid.

Attachments

• gladstone-terrace.jpg
    gladstone-terrace.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 8
There is a record for an E E Young travelling to New Zealand aboard Tainui from Southampton 1920. Little other info and no Leonard but he could have travelled earlier.

Forgot to say she is of the right age, 21.

I can't access them (you need world wide membership) but I think Leonard might have been a New Zealander. There is a link on Ancestry to:
1620831890993.png

Why do you think there is Spanish on Emily's side?

As far as I can see it's mostly Bham, some West Country and a touch of Worcestershire.

Is it the name Elvina? Seems to mean noble friend from old English, which is interesting as it appears Emily's grandmother was an Elizabeth Noble.

Last edited:
Hi all.. thank you for the info. I always believed Leonard to be a kiwi.. he married Emily in b/h I were never told how or why he was there certainly going to search. My mom told me that we had Spanish on Emily’s side ( l searched a record for a maiden name of her grandmother ( l thought it was Partridge) l will contact GRO b/h for a full birth certificate of Betsy, hopefully they can supply. Seeking info on findmypast has been difficult l have found technical issues with web. Really appreciate info offered . lyn

I haven't found a cert for Betsy and Charles as not all certs are one line but the I think this is the right GRO ref: possibly not a church wedding??
Name:Betsy Poole
Registration Year:1898
Registration Quarter:Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration District:Birmingham
Parishes for this Registration District:View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County:Warwickshire
Volume:6d
Page:334
Records on Page:
Name​

Last edited:
Happy to help, if we can, when someone has "got stuck" on their own research. If you need any more please ask. Can't guarantee success but a number of people on this forum like a challenge.

Back