• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

234 Knowle Road. Electoral Register information

james houston

Mr Sparks
Hello I wonder if anyone can help , I am trying to find out what year that Vera Jessie Brooks and Vera Gladys Smith moved into :-
234 Knowle Road Sparkhill
I think that it was between 1921 and 1930.Many thanks. Jim

Unfortunately only some years of the electoral rolls are online. They are not there in the 1925 roll, but are there on the 1930 roll. When the library opens you will be able to visit and determine the date more closely

Thanks Mike can I find out anywhere where they might have lived in the 20s as I know they moved from Sheffield to Birmingham after 1921

Depending what age they were they wouldn't be on the electoral roll. Until 1928 only women over 30 who met the criteria had the vote.

Last edited:
A search of the rolls for them individually did not show either pre 1930 under those names

You asked on an earlier thread about Passey Road Hall Green. Some parts of that area changed boundaries so they may have lived somewhere not on the Birmingham e rolls in early 1920s but which are now Birmingham.

Hello pjmburns, these people were my wifes relations the story that was passed down through the family to her was that they left Sheffield in the 20s and moved to run a shop in Passey Rd Sparkhill.The shop apparently went pear shaped and they moved to 234 Knowle Rd where the lived for many years. Mike gee has found out that they weren't in Knowle Rd in 1925 but were there in 1930, so which electoral rolls for Passed Rd do you think they could have been on if it wasn't Birmingham

Passey Road is Moseley today (apologies as I thought it was Hall Green) and in the past parts of Moseley have been in Worcestershire. I need to try to find out when changes happened but it might explain why they are not on e rolls on the 20s.

Last edited:
Just found they weren't listed at 234 in 1927 either. It looks as if Passey Road was in Birmingham by then but they aren't listed there either.

Certainly a mystery to us as my wifes father always talked about living there and going to College Rd school which I understand was a junior school ,if they didn't move to 234 Knowle Rd till 1930 then he would have been 12 years old and of senior school age.

There are some electoral rolls on findmypast as well.

Vera Jessie Brooks is listed in both 1928 & 1930 in Moseley. Polling district for 1928 is Sparkhill & for 1930 its's Acocks Green.

That's just search results (can't see road) and could be the same address with a change of boundaries.

Vera Gladys Smith is listed in 1929 & 1930 in Moseley (Acocks's Green district).

Certainly a mystery to us as my wifes father always talked about living there and going to College Rd school which I understand was a junior school ,if they didn't move to 234 Knowle Rd till 1930 then he would have been 12 years old and of senior school age.
Could College Road school have referred to Moseley School which has an entrance on College Road and is secondary? The junior school is Springfield School.
Will recheck e rolls

There are some electoral rolls on findmypast as well.

Vera Jessie Brooks is listed in both 1928 & 1930 in Moseley. Polling district for 1928 is Sparkhill & for 1930 its's Acocks Green.

That's just search results (can't see road) and could be the same address with a change of boundaries.

Vera Gladys Smith is listed in 1929 & 1930 in Moseley (Acocks's Green district).
Vera Gladys definitely at 234 Knowle Road in 1930 so likely the same for 1929. Moseley (Acock's Green district).
Same for Vera Jessie.
I can't access 1928 but not at Knowle Road in 1927 - someone named Frederick Scutt.
Passey Road is Sparkhill in 1927

Last edited:
Jan/James,

I went to College Road, both Infants and Juniors on that corner site in the 1940s. Depending on the results of your 11 Plus, you then ended up in what was the Moseley Secondary Modern further up College Road or grammar school.

Maurice :)

Having looked at all the information gratefully received I've begin to wonder if maybe Vera Jessie Brooks and Vera Jessie Smith may have rented a shop in Passey Rd between 1929 and 1935 as well as living at 234 Knowle Rd.I have also found out that Vera Jessie's father Charles Deane was living at Knowle Rd when he died in 1929.Is it possible that someone may be able to check this out for me please.Kind Regards Jim

James,

From FindMyPast, Vera Jessie Brooks was living at 19 Passey Road in 1928, no other person at that address.
Both Vera's were living at 234 Knowle Road in 1929 and in 1930.
When it comes the Charles Deane - there are two - Charles Harald Deane & family living in Hobson Road, Selly Oak, and Edward Charles Deane & family living in York Road, Kings Heath - but none in Knowle Road between 1920 and 1930. To be honest I didn't even know these were on FMP as I have always used Midlands Hiostorical Date in the past. The ones on FMP seem to be for every year between 1920 and 1930.
One thing you must be aware of is that the year relates to October of the previous year when the Electoral Registration Forms must be completed. Hope that helps.

Maurice :cool:

Maurice
You are correct as to when they apply, but in theory those who changed after that date or during the year should have informed the authiorities. This was done in some cases, as I have entries marked as such, but would not like to say how many actually went by the rules
Hello Mike, is there any way I can find out whether 19 Passey Rd could have been a shop please.Jim

Agreed, Mike, but this was only a mechanism for voting & serving on a jury, not for paying the rates, and many people renting paid their rates direct to their landlord as an addition to the rent. Unless you were heavily into politics, you simply didn't care were you had a vote or not. At the time under discussion, most people were more likely to be worried whether they managed to keep a job than voting in an election.

James,

From FindMyPast, Vera Jessie Brooks was living at 19 Passey Road in 1928, no other person at that address.
Both Vera's were living at 234 Knowle Road in 1929 and in 1930.
When it comes the Charles Deane - there are two - Charles Harald Deane & family living in Hobson Road, Selly Oak, and Edward Charles Deane & family living in York Road, Kings Heath - but none in Knowle Road between 1920 and 1930. To be honest I didn't even know these were on FMP as I have always used Midlands Hiostorical Date in the past. The ones on FMP seem to be for every year between 1920 and 1930.
One thing you must be aware of is that the year relates to October of the previous year when the Electoral Registration Forms must be completed. Hope that helps.

This is Charles Deanes burial record from 1929 giving his last address. Screenshot_20210607-232330.png

James,

He could have been visiting or arrived after October the previous year, or simply failed to fill in the registration form. At that age he had liability to serve as a juror.

19 Passey Road is a corner property - it is now a house but has the front door on an angle so could well have been a shop. The indentation over the door could well have been advertising. Just found it as a grocers in the 1940 Kelly's directory. Before that only 1915 is on Ancestry so I can't check 1920s. Also a grocers in 1915.
1623262453412.png

James,

He could have been visiting or arrived after October the previous year, or simply failed to fill in the registration form. At that age he had liability to serve as a juror.

Hello Maurice, I think Charles and Annie moved to Birmingham from their house probably between 1917 and 18 to live with their daughter Ettie Heggie.Annies last abode is listed at 79 Holly Lane on her burial record for 1919.Charles was still on the electoral register in Sheffied until 1928 but i dont think he lived there, his other daughter Vera Jessie moved to Birmingham around 1927 with Vera Gladys and her 2 sons from the Sheffied address.They tried to run the business at 19 Passey Rd but alas failed and they moved to Knowle Rd. Hope this makes sense.Jim

Jim,

Yes, you an only legally be on one voting list and if they were on the Sheffield one, that would account from their absence in Birmingham.

Back