• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

230 Selly Oak High street in 1911, Fish and Chip shop

fstubbs

Hello, I hope i've posted this in the right place? I'm after any history, pics, info regarding the Fish and Chip shop at 230 High street Selly Oak in 1911. it was run by the Homan family at that time. many thanks

Not long after 1911 the High St Selly Oak became part of Bristol Road, thus necessitating renumbering, and in the 1921 Kellys (which would refer to 1920) the chip shop was numbered 781 Bristol road, with Ernest Homan still listed there. however by the 1924 Kellys (referring to 1923) he has left. According to the electoral roll Ernest lived at 1 Frederick road , but apparently had an allotment in Harborne lane , just round the corner from his shop. Maybe he grew the potatoes for his chip shop there.
map c1916 showing 230  High st selly oak.jpg

I have moved this thread to the shops section

It might not be the shop in the query but there was a fish and chip shop on Bristol Road, Selly Oak, as can be seen on the right in this view looking towards Oak Tree Lane and Harborne Lane. It has been demolished and a Sainsbury's built on the site.
Bristol Road view looking south, no date but looks 1950's
BristolRoadSellyOak.jpg
Enlarged view of the Fish and Chip shop next to Talbots & Sons Cycles.
AntoniosFishand Chips.jpg

In the 1940 Kelly's Talbot & Sons cycle agents are listed at 783 and 785 Bristol Road next door to a Fried Fish Dealer at 781 so it is definitely in the right place and could well be the shop in question.

The photos in post 3 are after July 1952 when the trams were replaced by buses. I doubt the track were ripped up intermediately so maybe it is 1953.

It is a bit later (Unless Antonio's had no phone) - the first phone book I could find the fish shop listed in was 1960. The last was 1972.
1546467390193.png

Janice,

Greek surname - what's the betting his first name was either Manolis or Michaelis? :)

Edit: Second guess was right, though the Electoral Roll lists him at that address in 1965 only as Michael. Also living there was a George Papadopoulos.

Maurice

Last edited:
It might not be the shop in the query but there was a fish and chip shop on Bristol Road, Selly Oak, as can be seen on the right in this view looking towards Oak Tree Lane and Harborne Lane. It has been demolished and a Sainsbury's built on the site.
Bristol Road view looking south, no date but looks 1950's
View attachment 130213
Enlarged view of the Fish and Chip shop next to Talbots & Sons Cycles.
View attachment 130214
Sadly everything in these photos are long gone.

Hi Jimbo ... a few seen in the distance of photo in #3 survive ...:)
Bristol Road, Selly Oak, in 1961 looking southwest with Oak Tree Lane on the left.
index.php

Today most buildings are still there and lots more street furniture.
index.php

Hi Jimbo ... a few seen in the distance of photo in #3 survive ...:)
oldMohawk that area up until now has not been radically redeveloped, just a change of names and uses of the shops, even what they redeveloped is being redeveloped, Sainsburys for example opening their new store on the now developed old Birmingham Battery Site, which I must say looks a treat with loads of new shops.

Back