• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

229 Moseley Road - opposite Athelstan House, Birmingham 12

Alistair P.

Brummie babby
Hi, Everybody...My very first post!

I am, like so many people, researching my family history and would be very grateful if anyone could offer information or memories relating to our family home in the mid-1950s...229 Moseley Road, Birmingham 12. It has long been demolished - possibly in the late 1960s - and the original site is now a rather unkempt grassy area that leads up to the main road. I have included the link that might be useful and jog memories. In particular I would like to know the name of the school, long gone of course, that was immediately next to our house which had a front garden and a pathway from the pavement. The zebra crossing there today was there all those years ago! I would also like to know about the row of shops just down the road, especially of 'George's' where I used to get penny ice-lollies! Of course, a photograph would mean I've hit the jackpot but this is highly unlikely. In summary, ANY information or memories about this location in the mid 1950s would be wonderful to hear.

Thank you so much for your attention! Here's hoping, Alistair P.

I don't know if this rather poor quality map c1950 is any use to you. You can see no 229 marked (just- rather faint) the Kellys directory just lists the school as council school, so cannot help with that.

map c1950 showing area around 229 moseley road.jpg

Hello!

Does anyone know the name of the school that used to exist across the road from Athelstan House on the Moseley Road? It's long gone of course but back in the day it would have been either 231 Moseley Road or 227 Moseley Road. Thank you! Alistair Pugh

Hello!

Does anyone know the name of the school that used to exist across the road from Athelstan House on the Moseley Road? It's long gone of course but back in the day it would have been either 231 Moseley Road or 227 Moseley Road. Thank you! Alistair Pugh
227 Moseley Road - Norfolk School of Dancing in 1955

In 1930 Kelly's says 229 Moseley Road
Loxton Mrs
COUNCIL SCHOOL

Last edited:
Back