• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

22 Newhall Street

Peter Faulkner

proper brummie kid
My great great grandmother's death is recorded at 22 Newhall Street in 1876. I've looked at the location on old maps (it seems to have become offices some time in the 20th century) and it looks like it was a reasonably posh area compared to the back-to-backs where my gg grandmother lived so I am wondering if it was some kind of of women's hospital or mission house. Does anyone know anything about this location?
Thanks in advance!
Peter

The 1891 census lists no's 20 & 22 Newhall St together as offices but there are 2 residents - a bricklayer and his wife, who is listed as a housekeeper.

No 18 is also listed as offices and there's a family there, the wife is listed as a caretaker though.

22 Newhall St is listed in the 1876 P.O. directory as Thomas Bartleet & Sons, Button manufacturers

Are you sure it says 22? - it can be hard to read some numbers with old style writing.
The reason for asking is that in the 1878 directory there are several physicians listed at 25 Newhall Street.
1641140869772.png

Thanks for all your replies!
The death certificate actually says "Back 22 Newhall Street"... so I am guessing this means there were some poorer houses at the back or in a close?

Thanks for all your replies!
The death certificate actually says "Back 22 Newhall Street"... so I am guessing this means there were some poorer houses at the back or in a close?
thanks peter in that case maybe someone could post a map for you to see what was at the back of no 22

lyn

@mikejee it's interesting that 22 was a button manufacturer... Elizabeth Faulkner's (my GG Grandmother) brother-in-law was Charles Oates whose profession in multiple censuses was a button maker. In 1881 they were living in Lancaster Street. Maybe it's coincidence, maybe he got his sister-in-law a job and she died at work?

On the 1871 census house 22 Newhall Street is followed by the 1 court houses. Interestingly the 1 court 8 house is occupied by a family whose surname is Faulkner and where 1 daughter is a button maker. Any connection? or is this a coincidence? There is a 10 year old called Mary Ann who on the census was not a worker.

The numbering in Newhall street changed, probably around 1883, from consecutive to odd nos one side, even the other. In 1876 no 22 was btween Bread St and Gt Charles St. on this row the first building numbered in Newhall St after Bread st was no 17, while the last before Gt Charles St was 24. We cannot be sure that the corner Building was either of these as they could have been numbered as part of the adjoining Street, but I would suggest that no 22 was on the site of the building on the c1889 map below marked as such in blue. This would fit with the 17 and 24 numbering and has three back houses. In this case no 1 back 22 would be the nearest, marked in red.

map c1889 showing probable  position of no 22 in 1876.jpg

Thanks to both @pjmburns and @mikejee!
@pjmburns I did see this Faulkner entry in 1871. Job Faulkner was not a sibling or aunt/uncle or first cousin but may have been a second cousin. His grandfather Charles had a son John in 1759 and my GG grandmother Elizabeth's grandfather was John born (according to his death registration) in 1760. What makes me doubt the connection is that Job and his ancestors were all from Bretforton in Gloucestershire (now Worcestershire) while Elizabeth's family including John seem to have been from Northfield (his 1841 census entry in Kings Norton indicates he was born in Worcestershire and there are two John Faulkner baptisms in Northfield in 1759 and 1760). There is quite a distance between those places. But it is undoubtedly a consideration that there were other Faulkners there 5 years before her death.
@mikejee thanks for the location detective work! That does complicate things. It also makes sense that the roadfront building in the location you indicate is more likely to be a button manufacturer than the location we previously assumed was number 22. The one doubt I have is that combined with Janice's comment, there was an 8 house court behind #22 in 1871 while in 1883 it shows only 3 houses. I realise it could have all been changed in those 12 years, perhaps houses being converted to sheds or the pin works, but it would be nice to be certain. Anyway, thanks again for the expert tracing!
Peter

Just for interest - my great grandfather was Charles Oates, button turner, living at 100 Lancaster Street in the 1881 census. He was living with his second 'wife' Mary Faulkner. They did not marry until 1891 as he was still married to his first wife -Margaret Jones - whom he married in 1861. However this did not stop them from having a family! It's a complicated story but I will gladly relate it if anyone wishes to know.

Last edited:
Hello bee!
Yes, I'm very interested to hear the details. My own notes had supposed that Margaret Jones was his first wife but I had only guessed that maybe he had got together with Mary Faulkner before she had died.

Thanks! Peter

Last edited:
Hello bee!
Yes, I'm very interested to hear the details. My own notes had supposed that Margaret Jones was his first wife but I had only guessed that maybe he had got together with Mary Faulkner before she had died.
Please contact me directly at .....since I have some brick walls on that side of the family that maybe you could help with.
Thanks! Peter
Better to send email address via private messaging than to post on open forum.

Click on "bee" next to avatar and then "start conversation " this will then be private between the 2 of you.

Back