• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

2166 Coventry Road Sheldon

foy9999

proper brummie kid
Hi folks.

Can anyone tell me if there were residential addresses here? (in the 80s perhaps)

I'm trying to locate someone who owned an old car I own and in amongst the paperwork I have a letter addressed to

Mr R Adams
2166 Coventry Road
Sheldon
Birmingham 26

I wrote to the address many years ago but drew a blank. It was only looking on Google Maps now that I see that's exactly where all the shops are :confused:

Did Mr Adams perhaps have a small shop there or were there flats above the shops?

wwkln.jpg

In the 1967/8 Kelly's 2166 Coventry rd was not listed as a business

View attachment 168510
very interesting. Thank you.

So that list shows all the businesses in the street and 2166 not listed so it was probably a home stuck between a furniture shop and a corn merchant.

I didn't realise things like that existed.

:)

Could have been an empty shop.
Yes that's possible but Mr Adams had written to the person from that address (in 1981) and they replied to same address so it must've been occupied at that time.

I didn't try till 1988 right enough so it could have closed or changed hands in the 7 years between.

Hopefully someone will remember

There were two semi detached houses where the shops are trading, Bakers was definitely one of them I certain the houses are still there.

Thanks Robert.

Looking at Google Maps 2166 nowadays seems to be where The Coventry & Marie Curie shops are. However there are flats right on top which look like they've been there since the shops were built so I guess that's where he lived

2166 Coventry Road nowadays

Coventry Building Society is listed as 2166 Coventry Road
Marie Curie is listed as 2166A Coventry Road
PDSA is 2168 Coventry Road
Glad & Glam 2168A
Halifax 2170

2166a.jpg

2166 cov rd.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

So I guess that that Halifax was where 'Howard from the Halifax'
used to be based. Seems half a lifetime away!

Kind regards
Dave

In the 1965 eroll - last one on Ancestry there is no 2166 listed (could the shop be double fronted and known by one number only?)
There are residents and these seem to be lettered with a B. I know this is pre the date required but I was trying to fnd out if there were flats or not.
1647358610070.png
It might be useful if someone has access to later erolls online.

Coventry Building Society is listed as 2166 Coventry Road
Marie Curie is listed as 2166A Coventry Road

Under the same postcode B26 3JB is also
2166B
2166C
2166D

In 1980 2168a was H G Turner Seed Merchant.
Also in same directory Coventry Economic Building Society was listed at 2168
1647359498503.png

Also Halifax at 2170 (as now).

In the 1965 eroll - last one on Ancestry there is no 2166 listed (could the shop be double fronted and known by one number only?)
There are residents and these seem to be lettered with a B. I know this is pre the date required but I was trying to fnd out if there were flats or not.
View attachment 168520
It might be useful if someone has access to later erolls online.
wow. that's an amazing amount of details you have found Janice.

The period isn't really that much prior to my point of interest. 15 years isn't that much in the scheme of things but the elusive Mr Adams seems to be hard to find ;)

Thanks for that Janice.

Oh well looks like the trail has run dry but it was still interesting and I can imagine my Imp was parked round the back of those shops.

maybe when it's back on the road I can go there in it and see if anyone remembers it

Hi folks.

Can anyone tell me if there were residential addresses here? (in the 80s perhaps)

I'm trying to locate someone who owned an old car I own and in amongst the paperwork I have a letter addressed to

Mr R Adams
2166 Coventry Road
Sheldon
Birmingham 26

I wrote to the address many years ago but drew a blank. It was only looking on Google Maps now that I see that's exactly where all the shops are :confused:

Did Mr Adams perhaps have a small shop there or were there flats above the shops?

View attachment 168509
Screenshot (8).png
Hi folks.

Mr R Adams
2166 Coventry Road
Sheldon
Birmingham 26

View attachment 168509
Screenshot (8).pngIn the 1939 register a Henry Williams a Paynes Shoe Repairer was living at2166B, may be a flat above the shop.

The area was re-built sometime in the 1960's as a shopping precinct, and was/is known
as Wells Green precinct.

There were flats built over the shops, but that doesn't mean that the shop owners
lived above their respective business premises.

I do know the family who lived above the greengrocers it wasn't the Adams family!

Although the woman of the household did work in the downstairs shop i believe.

Back