• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

213 Aston Road, Aston

HI Carolina
its a shame my parents died years ago knowing whom they was as they actualy knew everybody in aston like they knew my family and my mothers family whom was the jelfs because of there history of being in a certain society which was operating within the aston area and birmingham
i could have given you the info;as to your question ; now back to the thread my great grand father married a hughes and she intererned maried
to him ; and when he died she stayed with in the jelfs family for decades right up until 1946 when she died
but there was a hughes family connected to the jelfs from the year dot ;even when my mother was born in the 1920,s
so one neverknows if there was any family connections with your hughes ; but i will research her i have recently obtained a picture of this hughs lady
in what i cal victorian dress it was a large portrait and i have it on my wall she loked as if she was a lady of meanns but thee again the jelfs was of means
but i will come back in a while another day when i have researched it but any way my dad knew your lot and to bring to your attention i have said along time ago in years gon bye that the biddophs was money lenders in aston they had an office along the rd from from the old six ways aston whom
i am pretty sure they was the old brigade to your lot and members of your family
at the moment i do not have any intials but it can be researched from there intials asif its he other half you want
i beleive it was classed as birchfield rd six ways aston where all the bigg boys of bussines was and also there was the jelfs acounts and legal solicitors was david jelf ; they was along by the biddouphs money lending bussines around this period we are discusting ;
i will speak soon astonian

Arthur and Ellen Biddulph.jpgAstonian, here we are this is Arthur Biddulph who ran the Duke of York and his 2nd wife Ellen (nee Hughes). I am trying to find out if there are any connection in the family to Jelfs.

HI CAROLINA;
To be quite honest carol ; it had passed my mind many years ago ; and more so the other day when you brought there names up
because your family was on the same level as the jelfs big peole around birmingham and most certainly of aston being wealthy ;
bussiness people and the jelfs was in the big circle of people within the birmingham; to be honest i can go back to my youth days of learning of your family and where they was coming from ;jelfs associated with the wealthy people and there grand father i beleive was involved with the vairity world
through out from one member of there family and relatives and the old music halls of brum the aston hippo; and the one in digbeth
but i do not want to waffle on about tat ; getting back to an ellen ;there was two ellens going through the jelfs history of old familys and there
partners there was one ellen whom bought a shop of them at spring hill and the other one going back years did i beleived left a cottage to one of the
senior members of the jelf and where upon they kept this cottage through generation and generations right up untill
the 1950;s where my particular grand father sold the cottage ; my mother went barby at himfor selling the family history if you like
this was a thatch cottage ; there as been a hughes connection with the jelfs from my knowledge way before my mother was born ; and as i said this lady hughes as got alot of history with in the jelfs and one member of the hughes family asked my mother to marry him when she was young but declined because she fell pregnant at an early age to my father at the age of 14- or 15 years old ;
but i will not be surprized tat your thoughts and mind that we are right about ellen ; i will make a point of trying to trace this one out fom our history centre ;
as i have already found legers of landownership of the lands recorded as the jelfs across worc; and i think there was a church involment with an ellen
but do not let me think that you may get your hopes up ; at this stage but as i said its possible there might be a connection to your ellen
carol have a great day ; speak soon alan ;; astonian ;;;

hi folks..if anyone has an interest in rellies living in aston road during and just after the war i have just come accross a pic showing 5 men and one lady taken inside the white hart pub...will scan and post it on request...

lyn

Just came accross this post from 2011.
My Great Grandfather (Joseph Griffin) was listed in the 1901 census as living at 213 Aston Road and listed as Manager Public House. I have a photo of my grandfather (listed in on a different string) with a photo in a pub.
Ironically I emigrated to the US in 1974.
Carolina are you still monitoring this string?

Duke-of-York
Dating from July 1961, this photograph shows the unusual frontage of the Duke of York, suggesting perhaps that the original building line was extended to that of the neighbouring properties. The pub was located on the corner of Pritchett Street. Cyril Miller was mine host at the time of the photograph. Succeeding William Piper, he was the publican between May 1958 and May 1967. The fully licensed Duke of York was an old hostelry of Aston Road. Digby Crisp was an early licensee; he was recorded here in 1818. Perhaps the name of the pub was his choice. There have been more than a dozen people to hold the seat of Duke of York since the title was first created by Edmund in 1385. The most famous surely has to be the one featured in the song 'The Grand Old Duke of York.' That was Frederick Augustus, who was appointed Commander-in-Chief of the army by his father King George III in 1795. He was forced to resign from this post on March 18th 1809 when his mistress abused her position and misappropriated money given by people in order to buy army commissions and promotions. I have seen an inn sign for the Duke of York featuring an illustration of Richard III who was King of England from 1483 until his death in 1485 at the Battle of Bosworth. I'm not sure why he was featured on the sign for his title was Duke of Gloucester when he usurped the throne of his 12 year-old nephew, Edward V. It was Richard, Edward's younger brother, who was Duke of York. Known as the Little Duke of York, he was detained in the Tower of London to keep his brother company. They were both murdered after a plot to overthrow the king. A funny lot these royals. A possible influence in the naming of the pub may have been the royal visit to Birmingham by Prince Edward in 1765 when he held the title of Duke of York. It is said that he was not too impressed with the facilities when he dined at the Assembly Rooms in the Old Square. Digby Crisp remained at the helm of the Duke of York until the early 1830's when Abraham Cox took over the reins of the pub. The sons of Digby Crisp remained at the property. Indeed, silversmith John Crisp married Sarah Cox and later became the publican of the Duke of York himself. He learned the craft of the maltster, suggesting that the Duke of York sold homebrewed ales. The Crisp family kept the Duke of York until the early 1860's, after which the couple moved to Green Lanes in Sutton Coldfield whilst John Crisp continued to work as a maltster, employing a small workforce. When John Edwards was running the Duke of York during the 1860's and 1870's his father-in-law Henry Smith also worked as a maltster whilst living on the premises. However, I have not yet established if the malthouse was behind the pub or located nearby. By the end of the 1870's William and Elizabeth Maye were in charge of the Duke of York. Willaim was born around 1846 in the Devon village of Staverton to the north of Totnes. His wife Elizabeth hailed from Derby. The couple employed Esmerelda Hughes as a domestic servant and Robert Anderson as a barman, the latter originated from Liverpool and made up quite a diverse household where Brummie customers may have struggled to be understood when asking for a drink. Talking of Liverpool - one of the early large companies to operate the Duke of York was Threlfall's Brewery Co.Ltd. However, a document that turned up during a little research shows that Mitchell's and Butler's acquired the pub in January 1899 when they paid £5,277.11s.0d. to Alfred Homer of the nearby Vulcan Brewery. This sum included a substantial amount for let-offs that were bundled with the pub itself. On average, the Duke of York sold 275 barrels of beer per annum during the 1930's. Bryan Rogers was the last person to pull pints in the Duke of York which closed in 1972.

Back