• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

213 Aston Road, Aston

carolina

master brummie
On the 1911 census, Arthur Biddulph was listed as Hotel Manager and his sons and wife Nellie as bar staff. It shows worker/home , so I presume the premises was a small Inn/Hotel. Can anyone help regarding a name of it? Thanks

Carolina, it would be nice if a photo could be found of the pub/hotel, my great grandmother was living next door at 211 Aston Road with her second husband and my newly married grandparents on the 1891 census, plus 3 other children from her first marriage and 6 boarders. I have often wondered how big the house was. On the 1911 census the address given is 9 Avon Place, Aston Road, I wonder if this is the same as 211.

Carolina, I have just done a search as I remember asking about a building called Eleanor House which was next door or next door but one to my family, and on reading the thread find the pub you are asking about is the Duke of York, perhap that will help somebody to help with a photo. I never did find what Eleanor House was used for, it was quite large.

Oh thanks again I knew someone would come up trumps. Sylvia it would be lovely if there was a photo lets keep our fingers crossed. Carol

Sylvia
They were close, but not the same
avon place is marked in blue, and no 211 in red
Mike

mapc1913211andavonplaceastonroad.jpg

and yes they was listed as a bussines on birchfield rd as money lenders as well way back in time
this is birchfield rd aston way around the fifties and my old man used to do there relief for them william stevens
as also the other remaing pubs close bye and the star at the aston cross my brother inlaw at the had a loan there with them he had to pay a tanner
every week to repay the loan to them my cousin tony lived in catherine street at that time
best wishes astonian

HI Carolin
the duke of york during the late thirtys and forties and all the cross pubs right up unti he died march the 30th 1958
he done all there releifes at these pubs virtualy every week and he ran the golden cross pub all is life from the early age of drinking
where he learnt the trade and stuck with the dodds family whomwas the manager there i beleive whom kept a great big dog
which i beleive it was a moutain rescue dog type and in those days there used to be a pork pie dog eating competions and this massive dog was unbeatable champion owned by the doods family they used to bring him along from the cross to our house along the rd on lichfield rd
from the pub and as kids mr dodd and my old man used to walk down to mr whettons sweet shop and buy us big bag of sweets
beforewalking back to the golden cross on sundays my od man worked there as well in the teddy boys days and the dancing up stair and he used tosort the trouble makers out ad some times my mother told me he would prevent the fights before startng and some times knoc them out and await the old black maria to take them to steel house lane lock up or victoria rd aston police station
and they would say thank you bill an f the truth be nown because of his size and knowing is bussinees in the trade thats why al the surrounding gathers ased him to there releife in there pubs best wshes astonan

Hi Carolina,just came across this thread saw 213 Aston Road thought (ding) that sounds familer my great granddfather on my mothers side a thomas mayo lived at 212 aston road and working from home as a china & hardware shop on the census of 1901 the next a George (looks like Lucas) live in number 212 1/2 (212 and a half) perhaps that is why no 213

Regards expat pete

Hi Expatpete, Number 213 was The Duke of York Pub. If you look at Post No 7 you can see PH on the corner where the pub was and then from that you should be able to make out where your ancestors lived. Regards Carol

I have just received this info.

DARDANELLES HERO
BIRMINGHAM SOLDIERS FUNERAL

The funeral took place on Saturday of Private James Connolly, of the 9th Royal Warwickshire Regiment, one of the heroes of the Dardanelles, whose home is at 17 court 5 house, Pritchett Street, Birmingham. His death from wounds took place in a Cardiff hospital. The usual military honours were accorded the deceased. His coffin was draped with the Union flag. Neighbours and friends sent a beautiful collection of wreaths on one of them was inscribed “with fond love from his wife and children (4) ”. Other wreaths were sent by Prices work people. Vauxhall street, his fellow workmen at Brearley street works, Mr and Mrs Gibbs, Pump Tavern, Aston Road, and friends, old friends at the Bulls Head, Pritchett Street, Mr and Mrs Bidduph and family Duke of York, Aston Road, etc. the boys band of the Shenley Homes followed the remains to Witton Cemetery, and there were military bearers, the arrangements being Chaplin Smith the last post was sounded by Sergeant Drummer Byrnes late of the 16th Cheshire's. Hundreds of neighbours watched the cortege start from Pritchett Street. Private Connolly was a well known as a boxer and won a number of contests. He was a quiet unassuming young man, who was greatly respected by all who knew him

The Handsworth Herald 18th September 1915

Buried Witton Cemetery Birmingham

Mikejee many thanks for the map, it seems the family just moved across the road. A lot of my ancestors lived in the streets shown, Aston Road, New John Street, Pritchett Street, they certainly didn't move very far.

I thought I would update you on my Biddulph side of the family who lived 213 Aston Road. Arthur had a son who emigrated to USA also called Arthur. Through Ancestry.co.uk and my recent visit to Canada I have been able to get in touch with Arthur's son who is called Jack, who has had a very interesting life. He has written to me and sent me some photos which I hope you will like. He has also told me that there are relatives here in Castle Bromwich, Walsall and Sutton Coldfield, although unfortunately no one with the Biddulph name. Jack is now 93 and living in Michigan.
Jack_Biddulph_1.jpg
Jack_Biddulph_newspaper_report_1.jpg
Jack_Biddulph_newspaper_report.jpg
Jack__Biddulph_aged_19.jpg

This is another photo I have been given which shows the son Arthur (with the cigar on the right hand side) before he emigrated to USA in 1911. His parents were licensees at the Duke of York. Dont you think its a super picture. I would love to know who the others were.Arthur Biddulph.jpg

HI Caroline
just across the road from the pub and afew yards from the china shop was the big hardware deparment store
and it was called the big broom ; it had every think in there even the expression the kitchen sink and the old lavs [ toilets ]
and on the out side of the shop hanging out side the shop and beleve me it was a big shop
hanging on brackets to the wall a giant big bass broom it was a fully monster of a broom a yard broom it must have been 3 foot in lengh and the head of it with it.s bristles just as big ; it was a land mark of aston ;especialy aston rd ; my father took me there as we only lived along from here
incidently my father done the reliefe for the billard hall on the aston cross my mother went down to see him one day unexpextected
and she caught him in arms kissing mrs mason whom had the off licence in rocky lane across the rd ;
have a nice daybest wishes astonian

Astonian, I was told that it was his mother Ellen Biddulph (nee Hughes) decision because of the crowd he was associating with and to get him out of the way to send Arthur to USA.

Back