• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

212-213 Broad Street in the 1980s

Simon Berry

Researching Novagen Software
212 Broad St is currently undergoing development. Back in the early 1980s, 212-213 Broad St was an office block. Aside from the office space above ground level, at that time there was also a store the Midlands Atari Center (MAC) - which I am currently researching. This company retailed Atari 8-bit personal computer hardware and software. And during the 1980s, there were also a number of other computer-related businesses operated from this address, such as Home Entertainments Ltd. (which owned MAC), Hi-Tech Distribution, Computer World and Software Computer Express Systems - to name just a few.

Questions: Does anyone have...
  1. A better photograph of the front of this building (perhaps including the offices) I could use for non-commercial purposes?
  2. Any anecdotes about purchasing computer hardware or software from this branch of MAC?
  3. The occupancy dates - my best guess: Bruce Jordan 1981 to summer 1985, then John Spring until summer 1987?
Many thanks!

Midlands212.jpg

Ha! Fair question though, as long as the spelling police don't get triggered : unamused:

MAC was actually set up by a local person, Bruce Jordan - who knew his centres from his centers. The intention was to align with the American company Atari Inc., who had originally opened an Atari Center (sic) retail store first in Cuppertino, California and then in various U.S. locations. I wonder whether at these locations they were demonstrating computer programs or programmes? :D

A very smart and distinctive shop front - very noticeable to passing custom.

I used to work near Five Ways in the early 1980s (for IBM the largest computer company in the world at the time).

I sometimes used to walk up and down Broad Street during my lunchtime.

I also took a load of photographs in the area, before and during redevelopment, which I have posted in this web site.

However while I agree the shop front was very distinctive I don't remember EVER noticing this shop or taking a photo of it

I also have to say Broad Street was a rather unpleasant street to walk down at the time. I remember a number of drab and 'run down' clothing wholesalers with clothing hanging in the window.

Of course this was just before much of the area was redeveloped so maybe companies were beginning to move out of the area ready for the redevelopment.

I do find amazing though that even though I worked in computers I never noticed this shop, though I have to say there is a huge gap between the home computers in this shop and the business computers I worked with at IBM.

According to newspaper advertisements, in 1987 there was a company named New Enterprise Publications at Broad Street House 212 Broad Street. They seem to have published a range of leisure and entertainment brochures etc. Presumably this would have been from the offices above. Viv.

Attachments

• 6AA09ED3-527F-4EB9-8B9E-2B3E584E625C.jpeg
    6AA09ED3-527F-4EB9-8B9E-2B3E584E625C.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 15
By 1988 Computer Express were operating from 212 Broad Street and Alum Rock Road supplying Atari systems and Atari and Amega software. Viv.

By 1988 Computer Express were operating from 212 Broad Street and Alum Rock Road supplying Atari systems and Atari and Amega software. Viv.

"Computer Express" was Software Express Computer Systems Ltd., and was at the Broad St location between summer 1987 (after John Spring, mentioned above) to March 1991 (liquidation). It was run by Mike Reynold-Jones.

Last edited:
Old 211 Broad Street.png
This is a series of old photos (unsure of date - maybe late 1970s?) stitched together to give an idea of what was there in the past. The building I'm interested in is the one between "Horizon" (214 Broad St) and "T&GWU" (211 Broad St), with what seems to be a telephone exchange box in front of its main entrance.

Horizon Midlands which was an independent travel agents from the late 1960s through to the early 1990s. It seems that in 1981-1987 The Midlands Atari Center (sic) occupied the store where there are the words "fly direct from the Midlands".

I guess this might have been easier if I had asked whether anyone has a 1980s photo of the office building that used to be to the left of the T&GWU building on Broad St.!

Last edited:
212 Broad St 2008.jpg212 Broad St 2008b.jpg
This is from Google Street View, dated July 2008 - the earliest photo on their record and taken just before the building was demolished (from 212-215) to make way for The Mercian.

View attachment 145861
This is a series of old photos (unsure of date - maybe late 1970s?) stitched together to give an idea of what was there in the past. The building I'm interested in is the one between "Horizon" (214 Broad St) and "T&GWU" (211 Broad St), with what seems to be a telephone exchange box in front of its main entrance.

Horizon Midlands which was an independent travel agents from the late 1960s through to the early 1990s. It seems that in 1981-1987 The Midlands Atari Center (sic) occupied the store where there are the words "fly direct from the Midlands".

I guess this might have been easier if I had asked whether anyone has a 1980s photo of the office building that used to be to the left of the T&GWU building on Broad St.!

I remember what used to be there before Horizon late 50s and 60's , directly next to TGWU there was a leather shop selling brief cases wallets handbags etc, next to the leather shop to the left was Salisbury's the butchers. I got all the meat on my errands for the neighbours on Saturday , plus I did alright for myself apart from pocket money for the errands . A woman there took a shine to me and used to give me a little parcel for myself comprising of some ham a couple of sausages and a couple of rashers of bacon .

Ha! Fair question though, as long as the spelling police don't get triggered : unamused:

MAC was actually set up by a local person, Bruce Jordan - who knew his centres from his centers. The intention was to align with the American company Atari Inc., who had originally opened an Atari Center (sic) retail store first in Cuppertino, California and then in various U.S. locations. I wonder whether at these locations they were demonstrating computer programs or programmes? :D
the convention by that time was that there were TV programmes and computer programs. As far as I can remember the only computer programmes were things like Tommorow's World (on the BBC).

A friend and I would regularly catch the train to New Street, walk up John Bright Street and then up Broad Street to the Atari shop. I had an Atari 400 at the time. We would spend hours in the shop playing on the demo games and chatting - I particularly remember SAM (Software Automated Mouth) and Preppie. I don't think we spent a huge amount of money, other than occasional software purchases and some of the imported Atari-specific magazines.

Joined the navy 1972 at the old Naval Careers office facing Bingley hall , there was a cafe there and its where my Mom gave me a packet of 20 Sovereign cigarettes for the train journey to Ipswich did not know she new i smoked as a 15 year old.

View of the site on Broad Street in 2016 during the Great Birmingham Run. TGWU was still there at the time.

In 2018 a takeaway called Bombay Mix had closed down. Broad Street Cars was also above.

Today this is the MODA Living construction site of The Mercian.

Hi Simon just wanted to say thank you for posting this it brought back so many fond memories of 212-213 Broad St, I though you might like some further information.

I have attached an advert Home Ents. placed in Page 6 magazine of the Birmingham Users Group (Bug Club). They have a lot of the adverts from back in the day not sure if they have any from Novagen

Software Express Computer Systems Ltd.
There were 4 shops before the end. 212-213 Broad Street, Alum Rock, Plymouth & Coventry.

BUG Club was ran from the Matador pub next to St.Martins Church. Not sure if I have any photos of the shop inside or out I can have a look. I did spot one typo from this thread (its Michael Reynolds-Jones) I know him as Dad.
Home ENTS.png

Watsons (Broad Street Ltd.) was at 193-194, there's a photo on this site somewhere. I worked there in the fifties and early sixties, next door was a large car park, a bombed site belonging to British Gas, accessed from Tennant Street.

I used to work here when I was 13, demonstrating games on weekends, the owner was john spring who went part own a b Fletcher car parts in nechells, after I remember when I was 14 going down tesco for John to get him a bottle of wine, he loves a bottle a day and looking like a 11 year old I pulled it of for him, lol

Last edited:
I used to work near Five Ways in the early 1980s (for IBM the largest computer company in the world at the time).

I sometimes used to walk up and down Broad Street during my lunchtime.

I also took a load of photographs in the area, before and during redevelopment, which I have posted in this web site.

However while I agree the shop front was very distinctive I don't remember EVER noticing this shop or taking a photo of it

I also have to say Broad Street was a rather unpleasant street to walk down at the time. I remember a number of drab and 'run down' clothing wholesalers with clothing hanging in the window.

Of course this was just before much of the area was redeveloped so maybe companies were beginning to move out of the area ready for the redevelopment.

I do find amazing though that even though I worked in computers I never noticed this shop, though I have to say there is a huge gap between the home computers in this shop and the business computers I worked with at IBM.
I worked at IBM Hagley rd in the 80s in was maintenance

Quite a few postings of Bush House in this thread, Sue

Does anyone remember Bush House? It housed Birmingham Councill Offices.
I remember it well. The Book Purchase Dept. for the Libraries Department was housed there for many years before moving to the new Central Library [ie the one recently demolished]. I visited every Friday morning to select new books for the library I managed at the time from a display of new publications on approval from Hudsons. Pure enjoyment & then went on to the Engineering & Building Centre for a coffee break with colleagues.

Hi Simon just wanted to say thank you for posting this it brought back so many fond memories of 212-213 Broad St, I though you might like some further information.

I have attached an advert Home Ents. placed in Page 6 magazine of the Birmingham Users Group (Bug Club). They have a lot of the adverts from back in the day not sure if they have any from Novagen

Software Express Computer Systems Ltd.
There were 4 shops before the end. 212-213 Broad Street, Alum Rock, Plymouth & Coventry.

BUG Club was ran from the Matador pub next to St.Martins Church. Not sure if I have any photos of the shop inside or out I can have a look. I did spot one typo from this thread (its Michael Reynolds-Jones) I know him as Dad.
View attachment 151950
It was indeed Software Express, I used to work in The Plymouth branch between 1988 and 1990. The director of the company was a chap called Mike Reynolds-Jones, it was a family run business and I remember Mike's son coming down a few times taking us out for drinks and food and a strange trip to a local exotic bar putting the expenses through as 'hospitality expenses. Good times ;oD

Back