• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

200 years of Nelson in the Bull Ring

Fantastic to see the Great man still held in such affection, and admiration, over 200 years after his death, keep the great history of these fantastic Islands upper most. Paul

It's Trafalgar Day. Battle of Trafalgar victory, 21 October 1805. So 210 years ago. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
On his own initiative, Matthew Boulton made this medal to present to all survivors of the battle. Viv

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
An old Birmingham Post article, but it gives a few interesting facts and figures from the National Archives about the crews of the ships. Not all came from coastal areas, some 120 were from the Midlands. Until reading this hadn't given much thought to the conflict for the Nation between rejoicing at the victory and mourning the loss of Nelson. Birmingham certainly made it's position clear on this being, not only the first to erect a statue to commemorate Nelson, but the first to pay for it by public subscription Viv.

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/local-news/midland-sailors-won-battle-trafalgar-6223760

Last edited:
Most interesting story, have now subscribed to the "Post". I always thought most British sailors would have come from , ports around our coasts, doubtless some were "Pressed Men", but there was a sever Agricultural depression in the early 19th C, so maybe some like those "Yokels" who were recruited by Wellingtons army, also joined the Royal Navy.Paul

Last week I went to the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, London. And I saw quite a few Nelson related objects. Such as the coat he wore when he died at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
Also saw a couple of portraits (one was at Queens House). And some models of Nelson's Column. I took photos of them but have not uploaded them yet.

In the meantime, enjoy my existing Nelson photos on my Flickr Horatio Nelson

can you tell why did nelson visit Birmingham in 1802? any strong connection? thanks
WHY DID NELSON VISIT BIRMINGHAM IN 1802?

The earlier posts 39 and 41 make interesting reading. Much of what the Royal Navy used - presumably from buttons to guns and more - were probably made in Birmingham. I expect Birmingham owed him something for the prosperity of the time and he likewise owed Birmingham much for the supplies that they manufactured. Just a guess.
Actually the whole thread makes a good read.

Was Nelson's statue moved across the road? I thought it stood by the pedestrian ramp into the Bull Ring. Viv.
Hi Vivienne14,

Have just joined and picked up your comment on Nelsons move! Yes, he has moved.

When the Bull Ring was originally designed in the 1960s my Dad was a part of the team. At the time Nelson was destined for an out of town park or scrap as he was politically out of fashion together with Queen Victoria. Some of the design team insisted on his remaining, and put up a plinth for him, also because that exact spot marked the centre of the old Bull Ring market. The spot was known as speakers corner and was where people like Mum and Dad used to met in their youth. In time that spot fell into disuse and when the Bull Ring was upgraded again in recent years Nelson moved to his new spot and he looks great. Nelson knew a thing or two about moving around so I guess he would not have had a problem with being moved again.

Hope this is of interest.

Kind regards

Welcome to the forum Fletcherfamilyason.. thank you for that interesting insight. Hope you find things of interest to you on here

Speakers Corner. I doubt anyone here remembers Moseley giving talks along with his guardians there during the 1930's. There were, apparently fights between the political factions. Maybe one of our newspaper cutting experts can find sometthing about this.

Welcome to the forum Fletcherfamilyason.. thank you for that interesting insight. Hope you find things of interest to you on here

Thank You mikejee, and Thank You for your kind welcome.

Yes there is plenty of interest here in this amazing forum. I am enjoying learning many things that I did not know before about the place that my family comes from and when we sort out the family films etc will try to upload them for you.

Kind Regards to you.

welcome from me too....if i am correct in assuming you hail from aston there is lot on that area on the forum....enjoy

all the best..lyn

Speakers Corner. I doubt anyone here remembers Moseley giving talks along with his guardians there during the 1930's. There were, apparently fights between the political factions. Maybe one of our newspaper cutting experts can find sometthing about this.

Yes, Thank You for that Radiorails. It was a desperate time all round I think. My parents, along with many others, just met there as young lovers and as money was desperately short things were kept simple and cheap. They often headed of after meeting each other for a long walk and talk apparently. Glad you are picking up on the other significance of Speakers Corner at the time. There was a less innocent side to the location for some.

Kind regards to you and it would be good to see any newspaper articles that come to light.

welcome from me too....if i am correct in assuming you hail from aston there is lot on that area on the forum....enjoy

all the best..lyn

Thank You Astoness for your very warm welcome.

Yes, I am looking forward to learning more about Aston. There is so much to learn and if I come across anything in our papers that may be of interest you in Aston I will let you know.

Very kind regards to you and Thank You again.

Today is Trafalgar Day and 215 years since the battle. Just wondered if a ceremony of any sort takes place at Nelson's statue in the Bull Ring? Dave

This is an intriguing image of Nelson's Statue as shown in this extract from Radclyffe's Birmingham 1840 shows another plinth or fountain alongside. I don't think this is the old Cock Pump discussed on other threads. But the interesting thing about it is it has a ship on top. The man crouching (with a stool) in front of it might still be sculpting it perhaps ?

Could be a case of artistic licence of course and I've never come across anything mentioning it, but interesting all the same. And that sitting soldier looks a bit brassed off! Viv.

Screenshot_20230627_184739_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back