• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham

My Father was born August 2nd,1922 at 2 Raddle Born Road,his family
lived in Charles Henry St.
Carol

My grandfather always said his mother died in the workhouse and had a paupers grave. So I sent for her death certificate, which listed the place of death as 1b Raddlebarn Road. She died in 1935.
Looking at this thread, I am aware that this was the site of the Kings Norton Workhouse, and then Selly Oak hospital from 1922, so is it likely my great-grandmother actually died in hospital as opposed to the workhouse?
Her cause of death is listed as 'post-operative ileus' and her original address of Arthur Street, Small Heath is referred to on the death certificate. I also know that her husband was still alive at the time of her death.

Hi, I'm coming in late here, but would like to let you know that 176 Raddlebarn Rd, was 'Woodville' home for unmarried mothers and babies - just at the top of Dawlish Rd, and a walk away from St, Edwards R.C. Church where the babies were baptised.
I only found out recently that my mum's mum was there in 1944 - for three months and as there was no support for mothers then, she gave him up for adoption.
I have a couple of photos in my album, Selly Oak roots!

Many thanks.

May father was born there in 1910. I managed to get the baptism record from the Church. Quite interesting because a baby born there at the same time was named after my grandmother.

Andy

Was going to confirm that Woodville wasn't part of workhouse/hospital, but for unmarried catholic mothers.
The workhouse became the hospital and a lot of the buildings remained, some of them still there in 1980's when they formed some of the geriatric block and caused distress to some of the elderly people who recalled it as the workhouse and didn't want to be associated with it.

Hi, I'm coming in late here, but would like to let you know that 176 Raddlebarn Rd, was 'Woodville' home for unmarried mothers and babies - just at the top of Dawlish Rd, and a walk away from St, Edwards R.C. Church where the babies were baptised.
I only found out recently that my mum's mum was there in 1944 - for three months and as there was no support for mothers then, she gave him up for adoption.

The building you mention in your post is now St. Mary's Hospice and has been such for over twenty years now.

Hi, thanks for that info. Come to a bit of a dead end in my search. Maybe this will get me going again. My dad was born in Woodville on 25th May 1916 and was there for at least 2 years and then adopted. Been unable to find out much about his mum. Just that she was Irish and worked as a ward maid in the Queen's Hospital. Thanks again. If you have any more info I would really appreciate it.

Hi all after looking into Woodville as I beilieve my Nan was there in 1935/36.
I found that Father Hudson's Society holds the records :)

Which establishments does Father Hudson’s Society hold records for?
We may hold records on you if you were in any of the following establishments:

• Francis Way Mother and Baby Home, 124 Four Ashes Road, Bentley Heath, Knowle, Warwickshire.
• Woodville Mother and Baby Home, 176 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham. :)
• St Edward’s Boys Home, Coventry Road, Coleshill.
• St George’s and St James’ Cottage Homes, Coventry Road, Coleshill.
• St Joan’s and the Nursery, Coventry Road, Coleshill.
• St Paul’s, High Street, Coleshill.
• St Andrew’s, Blythe Road, Coleshill.
• St Vincent’s Working Boys Hostel, 102 Moseley Road, Birmingham.
• Manresa Working Girls Hostel, Vernon Road, Edgbaston.

In addition, we may have records if the Birmingham Diocesan Rescue Society placed you with:

• Maryvale Nursery, Old Oscott Hill, Kingstanding, Birmingham.
• Nazareth House, Rednal, Birmingham
• Pallotti Hall, Siddington, Nr Macclesfield
• St Joseph’s, Jesson Road, Walsall.

In some cases, we may only have a register entry and not a file, e.g. St Paul’s registers commence in 1884. Our oldest files go back to 1902.

https://www.fatherhudsons.org.uk/index.php/site/oahome1/

Bit of a late reply to this thread, but my brother was born at 1b Raddlebarn Road Selly Oak in 1938 I always wondered why he was listed as being born there, but if it was to become Selly Oak Hospital, when did it happen?

My father was born at 2 Raddlebarn Road in 1922
Up to 1922 it was a Workhouse
then changed to Selly Oak Hospital.

I AM VERY LATE WITH THIS POST, I WAS BORN IN WOODVILLE 176 RADDLEBARN ROAD AUGUST1956, HOME FOR UNMARRIED CATHOLIC MOTHERS, I WAS ADOPTED IN NOVEMBER THE SAME YEAR, I BELIEVE IT IS NOW A HOSPICE, AS THIS IS WHERE MY BIRTH MOTHER DIED,I DID LIVE IN BIRMINGHAM AS A CHILD, I ATTENDED ST ANNS PRIMARY SCHOOL, AND LIVED IN HIGHGATE STREET, MOVED TO SCOTLAND AGED 6, WOULD JUST LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT HOW THINGS WERE THERE AT THAT TIME IN THE HOME,

Andy - My grandfather, Thomas Hanson, died in Selly Oak Hospital in 1945 and the address on his death certificate is given as 1a Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak.
Hi my great gran died in 1b raddlebarn road ive have searched and searched for a grave was there a private burial ground how would i find this information out
thanks in advance x

Evening ladies and gents my great grand mother died in 1941 in what i thought was 18 raddlebarn road which seems to be 1B raddlebarn road selly oak but she lived in birchwood road birmingham i have searched and search for her final resting place, please could someone share some light on where i might she may have been buried.

She may have been cremated or buried in a church yard. A name might help us search. Also, did her husband die first? If we find him we might find her - if you see what I mean.

Sometimes people put a number to an address so its not shown as a workhouse to prevent stigma. Would there have been a graveyard there? The nearest cemetery would be Lodge Hill Cemetery

Last edited:
Hello, It was an unmarried mothers home , then I know it is now a hospice,
I don't know about cemetery, what about the nearby church St Edwards,
Sorry, I haven't been in Birmingham for 58 years,

She may have been cremated or buried in a church yard. A name might help us search. Also, did her husband die first? If we find him we might find her - if you see what I mean.
her husband died on the 21 november 1918 his name was william harris (d.o.b 26/4/1885)
grannie was called Lydia Gertrude Harris(nee poole) died 15 jan 1941

Hello, It was an unmarried mothers home , then I know it is now a hospice,
I don't know about cemetery, what about the nearby church St Edwards,
Sorry, I haven't been in Birmingham for 58 years,
thank you Ann Maria ive go a death certificate but just no record.

Have you tried the various crematoriums? Their records are not on line anywhere so you would have to contact Perry Barr, Yardley etc separately. Finally, if it was a Catholic Burial that might mean a different route to go down.

ive tried with birminghan city council and no record so sadly gave up as didint no where to look but you beautiful people are giving me new hope tha
nk you

Hi Janice Lodge hill had no record of my great gran and the city council said that once someone has been laid to rest to one has a record of it because it is no longer needed, i will keep digging tho, thank you for all the pointers hope you well.

That is a strange thing for someone from the Council to say when they have the website I mentioned before. Don't give up because we have found family burials in unexpected places after many years of searching, one was becuse of a spelling error.
rosie.

Back