• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham

Hi Ann B, it just shows that this place was known by many different guises.My gt,grandma died at 1a Raddlebarn Rd in 1943.Sadly I cant get her records due to the 100 yr rule.Was it known as Selly Oak hospital then??Hope weather is ok with you as its not been very nice here in Devon.We had floods and storms on sat quite bad.
How long have you been doing family tree??

regards Jackie:cry:

Hi,
I too have been looking into the address "2 Raddlebarn Road" which appears on an ancestors death certificate in 1922.
Having checked up on various sites it seems that Selly Oak Hospital began to be run from 1922 onwards and I assume that those folks who needed the aid of the former workhouse & its infirmary were cared for there.
There is a house in the electoral books which shows that the Stephens family lived at 2 Raddlebarn Road from 1912 until at least 1939, Mr Stephens worked as a storeman in a chocolate factory, Cadburys I assume.
I have read several entries on various forum sites relating to the births of children to unmarried mothers & deaths which were registered as taking place at 2 Raddlebarn Road for several years in the early 1900's when clearly the same address was the postal address for the Stephens family. Some of the certificates were dated to the end of the 1920's. I therefore assume that the local authorites continued to use 1, 1a & 2 Raddlebarn Road as addresses upon certificates even when it first became known as Selly Oak Hospital instead of the workhouse, perhaps because it still cared for the former inmates and was still being used to disguise the fact that they had been workhouse inmates.
Does anyone know when 1, 1a & 2 Raddlebarn Road ceased to be addresses that were used by the local authorities for the use on certificates please?

Thanks,
Brock

My granddad died in Selly Oak Hospital in 1945. The address given on the death certificate is 1a Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak UD.

Judy

Many thanks Jayell for your reply -- it sounds like the authorities continued to use the addresses for certificate purposes for many years then seeing as your ancestors certificate was dated 1945 showing 1a Raddlebarn Road as the address. Thank you for that information, that's very interesting.

Brock.

Hi there,
I'm trying to find out a bit more about my Father's roots. He was born in 1916 in "Woodville" Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak. He was adopted when he was about 3-4 yrs old. His birth mother was called Annie Kean and she resided at same address when my dad was born. His birth certificate says that she was a general servant of 44 Hunters Vale, Hockley. I take it this means she worked in Hunters Vale?
Does anyone know anything about "Woodville"? Is this a house name or something to do with the workhouse?
Also, would anyone know anything about 44 Hunters Vale?
Would be grateful for some info. Thanks.

This is from an internet site no other info other than the following
Woodville
Mother and Baby Home, 176 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak ...

hi andy
i hope ypu do not mind me asking but did you have any relatives
whom may have lived in the aston area of birmingham
many years ago
around the 1950,s era as i was a friend of an alf cadman
i last spoke with him in 1960
many thanks hope you did not mind have a nice day
best wishes astonian ;;;

As can be seen from the map, woodville was there in about 1903. It is not mentioned in kellys then, but does appear in 1913, when it is occupied by Thomas Carlyle. It is not mentioned in 1921, but below is hte entry in 1932:
176 Roman Catholic Maternity Home (Woodville), Miss J. O'Mahony, matron
mike

Thanks Mikejee,
Was "Woodville" part of or attached to the workhouse in 1916 when my dad was born? Looks like he was left there until he was adopted 3-4 years later.

I don't think woodville was part of the workhouse, as it was a way down Raddlebarn road on hte other side of the railway line. It may have passed people on to them though
mike

My Father was born August 2nd,1922 at 2 Raddle Born Road,his family
lived in Charles Henry St.
Carol

My grandfather always said his mother died in the workhouse and had a paupers grave. So I sent for her death certificate, which listed the place of death as 1b Raddlebarn Road. She died in 1935.
Looking at this thread, I am aware that this was the site of the Kings Norton Workhouse, and then Selly Oak hospital from 1922, so is it likely my great-grandmother actually died in hospital as opposed to the workhouse?
Her cause of death is listed as 'post-operative ileus' and her original address of Arthur Street, Small Heath is referred to on the death certificate. I also know that her husband was still alive at the time of her death.

Hi, I'm coming in late here, but would like to let you know that 176 Raddlebarn Rd, was 'Woodville' home for unmarried mothers and babies - just at the top of Dawlish Rd, and a walk away from St, Edwards R.C. Church where the babies were baptised.
I only found out recently that my mum's mum was there in 1944 - for three months and as there was no support for mothers then, she gave him up for adoption.
I have a couple of photos in my album, Selly Oak roots!

Many thanks.

May father was born there in 1910. I managed to get the baptism record from the Church. Quite interesting because a baby born there at the same time was named after my grandmother.

Andy

Was going to confirm that Woodville wasn't part of workhouse/hospital, but for unmarried catholic mothers.
The workhouse became the hospital and a lot of the buildings remained, some of them still there in 1980's when they formed some of the geriatric block and caused distress to some of the elderly people who recalled it as the workhouse and didn't want to be associated with it.

Hi, I'm coming in late here, but would like to let you know that 176 Raddlebarn Rd, was 'Woodville' home for unmarried mothers and babies - just at the top of Dawlish Rd, and a walk away from St, Edwards R.C. Church where the babies were baptised.
I only found out recently that my mum's mum was there in 1944 - for three months and as there was no support for mothers then, she gave him up for adoption.

The building you mention in your post is now St. Mary's Hospice and has been such for over twenty years now.

Hi, thanks for that info. Come to a bit of a dead end in my search. Maybe this will get me going again. My dad was born in Woodville on 25th May 1916 and was there for at least 2 years and then adopted. Been unable to find out much about his mum. Just that she was Irish and worked as a ward maid in the Queen's Hospital. Thanks again. If you have any more info I would really appreciate it.

Hi all after looking into Woodville as I beilieve my Nan was there in 1935/36.
I found that Father Hudson's Society holds the records :)

Which establishments does Father Hudson’s Society hold records for?
We may hold records on you if you were in any of the following establishments:

• Francis Way Mother and Baby Home, 124 Four Ashes Road, Bentley Heath, Knowle, Warwickshire.
• Woodville Mother and Baby Home, 176 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham. :)
• St Edward’s Boys Home, Coventry Road, Coleshill.
• St George’s and St James’ Cottage Homes, Coventry Road, Coleshill.
• St Joan’s and the Nursery, Coventry Road, Coleshill.
• St Paul’s, High Street, Coleshill.
• St Andrew’s, Blythe Road, Coleshill.
• St Vincent’s Working Boys Hostel, 102 Moseley Road, Birmingham.
• Manresa Working Girls Hostel, Vernon Road, Edgbaston.

In addition, we may have records if the Birmingham Diocesan Rescue Society placed you with:

• Maryvale Nursery, Old Oscott Hill, Kingstanding, Birmingham.
• Nazareth House, Rednal, Birmingham
• Pallotti Hall, Siddington, Nr Macclesfield
• St Joseph’s, Jesson Road, Walsall.

In some cases, we may only have a register entry and not a file, e.g. St Paul’s registers commence in 1884. Our oldest files go back to 1902.

https://www.fatherhudsons.org.uk/index.php/site/oahome1/

Bit of a late reply to this thread, but my brother was born at 1b Raddlebarn Road Selly Oak in 1938 I always wondered why he was listed as being born there, but if it was to become Selly Oak Hospital, when did it happen?

My father was born at 2 Raddlebarn Road in 1922
Up to 1922 it was a Workhouse
then changed to Selly Oak Hospital.

Back