• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

2 Paintings Of Paddington Street

just wonderful eric...the second one shows no 12 i was born at 4/12..my nans sisters lived at the front in no 14 and i also had rellies living at no 16 all showing ..my mom was born at no 5 and i also had rellies at no 25 in fact i think my lot must have taken over paddington st..myself my brother mom and dad lived with nan at 4/12 in that little 2 up 1 down until i was about 6..nan remained stubborn to the end and was one of the last to be moved out in the late 60s..she had been in the street since at least 1911 so you can see why it means so much to me

lyn x

Last edited:
Excellent, Eric. I like the first one best for its general atmosphere, but the implied detail on those gates in the second one also knocks me out.

Maurice

just wonderful eric...the second one shows no 12 i was born at 4/12..my nans sisters lived at the front in no 16 and i also had rellies living at no 16 all showing ..my mom was born at no 7 and i also had rellies at no 25 in fact i think my lot must have taken over paddington st..myself my brother mom and dad lived with nan at 4/12 in that little 2 up 1 down until i was about 6..nan remained stubborn to the end and was one of the last to be moved out in the late 60s..she had been in the street since at least 1911 so you can see why it means so much to me

lyn x
I've had a problem in figuring out where you were born at 4/12....I lived at 4/52, & 54 Paddington St was next to the peck, which is where your row of houses started. How could #12 be so close?

Dave A

hi dave if you put these 2 photos together they almost form a continuous line from no 6 to about no 38...the peck next to no 6 was from bomb damage our mom used to talk of the day the bomb dropped there... the peck next to no 38 ish demolision..you can just make out the crocodile works in pic 2 also note the light coloured diagonal brickwork above the bottom window of no 16 in both photos..nan was still living at 4/12 when these photos were taken and we visited her often..what year did you leave dave

lyn

paddington st and queen 029.JPG paddington st and queen 031.JPG

Last edited:
hi dave if you put these 2 photos together they almost form a continuous line from no 6 to about no 38...the peck next to no 6 was from bomb damage our mom used to talk of the day the bomb dropped there... the peck next to no 38 ish demolision..you can just make out the crocodile works in pic 2 also note the light coloured diagonal brickwork above the bottom window of no 16 in both photos..nan was still living at 4/12 when these photos were taken and we visited her often..what year did you leave dave

lyn

View attachment 110568 View attachment 110569
Hi Lyn, I'm presently in South Carolina, on a road trip south to escape winter in Toronto. I'm on line evenings only (in hotels) so I'm unable to respond on a timely basis. I left Paddington St in 1956..our entry was right opposite Bellingers shop. I assume the peck was one entry before it was bombed, so appx. 4 street numbers, in ascending order. My question is...how did number 12 get to the side of the peck? FYI, the chimney sweep lived in the second house from the peck, back of ?

Confused as ever,
Dave A

hi dave post 6 photo 1 from right to left definately shows nos 6 to 14 with the little front gardens(they were the only front gardens in the street)..so its no 6 that is next to the waste ground ...hope you are enjoying your trip i dont blame you escaping the bad weather...its freezing here in england.

lyn

Last edited:
Back