• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

2. little evacuees from small heath Birmingham

My Sister Joan Higgs and myself Sylvia Higgs went to (if I remember correctly) Dickson Rd school small heath when the war broke out in September 1939. We were told we were to be evacuated to Bromyard Hereford. We all tried our handmade on in front of the teacher and was told to look for any holes or slits in the contraption. On the day we all marched to small heath Railway station we were told to behave and remember our makers by Mom and dad and told my sister to hold my hand and look after me and never to forget our gas masks. my sister was 11 years old and I was 7 years old. I remember standing hand in hand at the station waiting to board the train. When we alighted from the train we were all marched 2 by 2 to a hall either a school hall or church hall I can't remember which but remember waiting with all the other children in a hall. I remember feeling very tired and asked my sister where we were going. Until then I had been very excited about the trip there but now suddenly feeling very insecure because nothing was happening and we were all getting hungry thirsty tired and anxious. Eventually all the teachers came in to the ball and started picking us out to go in to people's homes I was afraid !my sister and I would be separated but they billeted us together in to a lovely family home we were greeted and treated with great respect. Can any one tell me if there were photos taken at the station and in Bromyard Hereford ?

A section from an aerial photo of Bromyard dated 1930. St Peters Church on the left and the railway station area on the right. A building which might have been the Church Hall is in the centre and marked with a red spot.
Bromyard1930.jpg
EPW034484 ENGLAND (1930). The town centre, Bromyard, 1930
Streetview today.

From this map of c1928, the building with the red spot seems to be that marked as the Grammar School. Of course it may have been used as the Church hall at the time

map bromyard c1928.jpg

Back