• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

2 Erdington to Stechford

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Erdington to Stechford

From Erdington Six ways we travel down Wood End Lane and continue on Bromford Lane crossing over Tyburn Rd and on toward the Washwood Heath Rd - Coleshill Rd junction on to Stechford Lane and down to Station Rd then up the hill past the station to the main shopping area.

Attachments

• 25  Bromford Lane Wheelwright Rd.JPG
    25 Bromford Lane Wheelwright Rd.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 21 Wood End Rd[1].JPG
    21 Wood End Rd[1].JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 22 Rookery Park.jpg
    22 Rookery Park.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 23 Old Green Man[1].JPG
    23 Old Green Man[1].JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 24  Bromford Bridge.jpg
    24 Bromford Bridge.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The next five photos in this section Wheelwright Rd to Fairholme Rd

Attachments

• 30 Washwood Heath Bromford Lane Fairholme Rd.JPG
    30 Washwood Heath Bromford Lane Fairholme Rd.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 26 Stewart & Lloyds.jpg
    26 Stewart & Lloyds.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 27  Bromford.jpg
    27 Bromford.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 28 Bromford Lane Bromford Cafe.jpg
    28 Bromford Lane Bromford Cafe.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 29 Erdington Bromford Lane 1957.jpg
    29 Erdington Bromford Lane 1957.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 52
The next section from St Margarets Rd to the Bulls Head Station Rd

Attachments

• 35 The Bulls Head.jpg
    35 The Bulls Head.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 31 Bromford Lane St Margarets Rd.JPG
    31 Bromford Lane St Margarets Rd.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 32 Coleshill Rd Bromford Lane.jpg
    32 Coleshill Rd Bromford Lane.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 33 Beaufort Cinema.jpg
    33 Beaufort Cinema.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 34 Stechford Stechford Lane 1951.jpg
    34 Stechford Stechford Lane 1951.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 66
The last section of this leg of the route takes us from Albert Rd to the main shopping area on Station Rd

Attachments

• 40 Stechford Station Rd 1955.jpg
    40 Stechford Station Rd 1955.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 36  Stechford Albert Rd - Station Rd 1975 (12).JPG
    36 Stechford Albert Rd - Station Rd 1975 (12).JPG
    178 KB · Views: 54
  • 37 Stechford Station Rd (2).jpg
    37 Stechford Station Rd (2).jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 38 Stechford Railway Station[1].JPG
    38 Stechford Railway Station[1].JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 39 Stechford Station Rd.jpg
    39 Stechford Station Rd.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 53
This section of the route is now open for your comments, memories, photos or whatever you would like to add.

Always great to see old photos of places you walk pass. Thanks.

The Bromford has been knocked down now.

I think the first photo on post 3 is the corner of Bromford Lane and Drews Lane, the garage is now a plant hire shop and the houses on the far side are still there.

The Bulls Head Stechford was opposite what is now B&Q just before you went round the corner to the Atlas Cinema and on up to Kitts Green

Hi,

If you went past the Bulls Head, with the 'Triangle ' on your right, the Atlas was just past
the Triangle, on the same side as the Bulls Head.

Kind regards

Dave

THE ATLAS CINEMA LATER BECAME A BINGO HALL DOWN THE BACK OF THE SHOPS THE SWEET AND TOBBACO SHOP
SPENT MANY NIGHTS IN THERE PLAYING BINGO AND DRINKING AFTER HOURS WITH THE INLAWS BEFORE WE GOT MARRIED MY MOTHER INLAW
AND MY NOW WIFE WON A FORTUNE DOWN THERE REGULAR
MOST NIGHTS OF THE WEEK BUT TO TELL YOU THE TALE IT SAVED OUR LIVES ; MEANING MY WIFE AND MYSELF ;
BECAUSE IT WAS THE NIGHT OF THE PUB BOMBING IN BRUM I WANTED TO GO INTO TOWN AS I USED TO GO FOR A DRINKING SESSION
WHICH WAS THE TALK OF THE TOWN; AT THE INLAWS HOUSE I ARGUED WITH MY GIRL FRIEND WHOM HIS NOW MY WIFE
THAT I DID NOT WANT TO GO TO THE ATLAS BUT THANK GOD SHE DID PERFORM BECAUSE SHE WON THE ARGUMENT AND WE SETTLED DOWN THE ATLAS
ONLY TO BE INTRRUPTED BY DAVE THE BINGO CALLER THAT THE PUBS HAVE BEEN BLOWN UP AND ONE WE WAS GOING TO WHAT I USED TO USED REGULAR WAS THE TALK OF THE TOWN; BEST WISHES ALAN ;; Astonian;;;

The Atlas Cinema / Ballroom / Bingo Hall was on the corner of Flaxley Rd and Wyndhurst Rd it closed as a cinema in 1959.

Attachments

• Stechford Flaxley Rd The Atlas Ballroom.jpg
    Stechford Flaxley Rd The Atlas Ballroom.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 24
Jonathan Coe was on Start The Week this morning (Radio 4, 9.00), talking about his new novel, Number 11. One of the Number 11s is this bus route.

so that part of land is derelict or empty space?

bhatti

As far as I am aware the former site of the Atlas is now a mini housing estate, as these two images show. You will note the former shop that was next door to the cinema and now stands on the corner of Brook Close.

Attachments

• Stechford Atlas Cinema  (22).JPG
    Stechford Atlas Cinema (22).JPG
    169 KB · Views: 29
  • Atlas Site.JPG
    Atlas Site.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 30
The next five photos in this section Wheelwright Rd to Fairholme Rd

The first picture, Stewarts and Lloyds, reminds me, as a lad we used to walk past here to go train spotting at the staion.
Up against the railings were masses of what looked like bombs or shells, all piled up going rusty.
They were there for years. Wonder what happened to them, probably be collectors items now.

The first picture, Stewarts and Lloyds, reminds me, as a lad we used to walk past here to go train spotting at the staion.
Up against the railings were masses of what looked like bombs or shells, all piled up going rusty.
They were there for years. Wonder what happened to them, probably be collectors items now.

I remember them. I think they were called mandrels, used in the manufacture of extruding tubes

My sister used to live in Mears Drive which as far as I remember was behind the Atlas. It looks very different now!

Maria

I think that Mears Drive is at the other side of the Atlas and McVite's Biscuit Factory that is a mini trading estate now.

Last edited:
My nephew and niece used to play with "the McVitie's boys," as they called them, who must have lived next door to the factory!

maria

On picture 40 Station Road shops -
I remember Wrensons being next to Wilkes electricals. I used to have to take my Mom's order up there on a Friday after school and hand in 'the book', pay for the last week's order then wait while my Mom's current order was 'filled'. Used to 'kill' me sometimes carrying the shopping down Lyndon Road!

Photo #34, 4th photo in Post #3.

That was looking across the mouth of Stechford Road and the premises with the large Raleigh sign on the end wall became Boyd's TV shop. Next to that was an Ironmonger's shop, and the 3rd, prior to the Winter quarters for [whatever] Fair, was a Cafe called (when I knew it) the Jolly Teapot. This was for a time, owned and run by a Jack ??????, who was a retired Walsall Goalkeeper.

I think he ran it for a couple of years and (in the 1950's) and then moved to [I think] Fradley.

If anyone has a Kelly's for the period then the Cafe would have been 98 Stechford Lane.

Back