• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1st world war photograph

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
posted on behalf of David James can any one help

I have been looking at some photos of my grandfather whilst he served in the First World War and one is with another soldier taken in a studio, on the reverse of the photo is the name of my grandfather Pte A G Rosser and an address in Bedford although he was born and lived for all but his first world war service in a small village near Pontypool in South Wales. It seems that at the time he was in B Company, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Also on the reverse of the photo are the initials M M and an address 35 Junction Street, Handsworth, Birmingham which I can only assume relates to the other soldier – and hence my contact with you.

I have copied the image and attached it to this e-mail, my grandfather is on the right standing, I hope that you will find this of interest and possibly someone in your history group may even recognise M M!

photograph

Kelly's 1915
there ia a Junction road Handsworth
Leonard Barnes shopkeeper
35 Junction Road
Handsworth

Without a Battalion reference ....over 16 different battalions... mammoth task to find out any more but can say in a mounted batt....you could get info from Kew with name

MM might mean Military Medal but without a name ..not much good

Breeches and putties were common uniform in the First World War, my Grandfather is pictured wearing them and he was in the Royal Engineers.

Back