• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1st touch on a Computer

Yes Pete, I remember often seeing the dawn breaking as I was trying to sort out 6502 machine code.
Microsoft Windows is 35 years old .... it's history in pictures see the link below
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/windows-10.45268/post-560475
:)
What a great montage of not computers but our recent history! My first computer 1948 IBM PC with a 160 drive and MS dos! Not that I am a gamer but I did enjoy playing “donkey kong”
Thanks for the memories!

my first pc was a xt 8088 @ 4.77 MHz. a 10mhz hard disk the size of a house brick and ega graphics.
and lemmings game :grinning:
220px-Ibm_px_xt_color.jpg

xt hd i was for ever using norton disk dr. defrag. disk manager. but it was never any good if i still had it it would make a good anchor:grinning:

Attachments

• 10 meg.jpg
    10 meg.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 3
You guys had the fancy ones! Did not even know what a hard drive was in those days!
I remember a time in the 1990s when someone in our office bought a new computer and it had a 1GB hard drive ... we were all amazed ... all that space to store programs, photos and data !!

I remember a time in the 1990s when someone in our office bought a new computer and it had a 1GB hard drive ... we were all amazed ... all that space to store programs, photos and data !!
And the cost of that 1GB!!!!!!!!! You could probably get 50TB for less today.

wow they must be rich..The 80s was a cool time, and not just for hair bands. In 1980, we saw the first 1 GB hard drive, priced at a casual $44,000.(36 524.4 GBP) But home computing wasn't far off, thanks to the hard work of IBM and others – these early innovators were laying the groundwork for a product that would be around for a long time.A 5MB hard disk drive from Apple cost $3,500 ( 2905.29) in 1981.
o_O

I suppose we all use our computers differently, most of us probably using some version of Windows and either the Chrome or Edge browsers. Some of us use Apple devices with the Safari browser. I use an iPad every day but only for viewing - I rarely post from it.
I've always used Windows but if my very nice Windows 11 computer with it's 27" screen packed up and I had £1.5k to spend, I would probably buy an iMac ... ;)

imac sounds like a Potato digger:grinning:

i once bought a Macintosh Classic it was too complicated for me so i sold it and went back to ibm clones
1672393610500.jpeg

imac sounds like a Potato digger:grinning:
I regularly Zoom meet with someone who has an iMac and when I share my screen with them they can often see fine detail with their hi-res screen which I can't see even though I have a 2560x1440 screen. However, I think for normal everyday computing Apple computers are overpriced and Windows is best ... :)

I regularly Zoom meet with someone who has an iMac and when I share my screen with them they can often see fine detail with their hi-res screen which I can't see even though I have a 2560x1440 screen. However, I think for normal everyday computing Apple computers are overpriced and Windows is best ... :)
my brother has a machine me thinks you can boot it in win sys or mac.he is a printer and says mac rules in his kind off work

I suppose we all use our computers differently, most of us probably using some version of Windows and either the Chrome or Edge browsers. Some of us use Apple devices with the Safari browser. I use an iPad every day but only for viewing - I rarely post from it.
I've always used Windows but if my very nice Windows 11 computer with it's 27" screen packed up and I had £1.5k to spend, I would probably buy an iMac ... ;)
I use my Lenovo W11 for my serious work and iPad and phone for other. My wife is an Apple person, with computer, iPad Pro which is a big phone and phone. Your pricing is great in £ than ours in $. As far as zoom and the like, my Lenovo is plenty good for me!

Way back in the old days, when Dixons had High street shops, I had one of these.
Amstrad portable.jpg
Source: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a2/1b/be/a21bbe34d216fb7d509732b6f959f129.jpg

I had enough money left under the mattress to buy the lowest spec version, which was (wait for it) 512K.
I went into Dixons, but they hadn't got one in stock. The nice man behind the counter said "We have one of the top of the range 640K models in stock, with 2 floppy drives". And then the clincher, "You can have it for the same price". I suspect that it was their only stock, and they were glad to see the back of it.
It did have a good keyboard, but no other discernible redeeming features. The screen appeared to be dark green text on a light green background. I could hear the beads sliding about on the internal 4.77 MHz abacus. I passed it on to a friend. She gave it a week, (and remained friends), and passed it on I know not where.

Andrew.

Way back in the old days, when Dixons had High street shops, I had one of these.
View attachment 180652
Source: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a2/1b/be/a21bbe34d216fb7d509732b6f959f129.jpg

I had enough money left under the mattress to buy the lowest spec version, which was (wait for it) 512K.
I went into Dixons, but they hadn't got one in stock. The nice man behind the counter said "We have one of the top of the range 640K models in stock, with 2 floppy drives". And then the clincher, "You can have it for the same price". I suspect that it was their only stock, and they were glad to see the back of it.
It did have a good keyboard, but no other discernible redeeming features. The screen appeared to be dark green text on a light green background. I could hear the beads sliding about on the internal 4.77 MHz abacus. I passed it on to a friend. She gave it a week, (and remained friends), and passed it on I know not where.

Andrew.
That must have been circa 1997/98! I was using an original much upgraded IBM PC. In 2000 I bought an ultra light 2 1/2 # Sony Vaio. It had the small drive for the discs in your photo, I purchased a huge CD drive, both drives had usb connectors. Two years ago I found the floppy drive when we moved and mentioned to a couple of nerdy friends who borrow it frequently to find out what is on their discs.

Just purchased a new iPad, took Apple one week to get my password straighten out. My wife got a new iPhone, took 7 trips to the Apple Store, $850 and she hates it. The charging connector is differs on my iPad, my wife’s phone from her iPad Pro! USB, is universal serial buss, UNIVERSAL means the same as but I guess Apple sees it differently! We have more charging cords that you can shake a stick at. The only plus is that the wireless chargers in our cars handle both phones. Sorry for the rant and I don’t even want to talk about my iPod :cool:

Back