• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1987 Car Birmingham Journey

brilliant BB i certainly have not seen this one before...starting at perry barr ...so much has now gone of course including the office block at one stop where i worked and all the original shops..the university...the crown and cushion pub..hard to tell but i think aston hipp had gone by then..also a tad hard to tell but i think the newtown picture house on the corner of newtown row and john st had gone all almost gone..it was certainly still there in 84ish as a bingo hall because i used to use it just going to watch it all again...im sure our eagle eyed members will spot other buildings we no longer have...cheers

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks' for that, Lyn. It suddenly occurred to me that I worked at Fine Fare, a supermarket in (Lynton Square?) Perry Barr Shopping Centre where I was a 'trainee manager' (shopping trolley rounder upper). I lasted two weeks!
The picture house on the corner of Newtown Row and New John St was called The Newtown Palace. I'm sure they had wrestling bouts here in the early 1960s as I can vaguely remember my mother taking me one night (she was the wrestling fan: Saturday afternoon ITV World of Sport, Mick McManus and Les Kellett). If memory serves me, it was demolished in 1988.

Last edited:
Very good but tantalising, just missed a couple of things I would have liked to have seen again.

Thanks' for that, Lyn. It suddenly occurred to me that I worked at Fine Fare, a supermarket in (Lynton Square?) Perry Barr Shopping Centre where I was a 'trainee manager' (shopping trolley rounder upper). I lasted two weeks!
The picture house on the corner of Newtown Row and New John St was called The Newtown Palace. I'm sure they had wrestling bouts here in the early 1960s as I can vaguely remember my mother taking me one night (she was the wrestling fan: Saturday afternoon ITV World of Sport, Mick McManus and Les Kellett). If memory serves me, it was demolished in 1988.

BB i was working in the office block at lynton square..now one stop in 1974 ish...i have this photo of newtown palace pic house taken in 1988 shortly before demo so we can just about see it in your 1987 video clip

lyn

newtown palace 1988.jpg

When I came home from school I used to find small strips of film reel by the side door of the cinema. How old was The Newtown Palace?

When I came home from school I used to find small strips of film reel by the side door of the cinema. How old was The Newtown Palace?

wow how good was that ...not sure how old the palace was but i have a feeling it came before the other ones up newtown row and the high st...will try and find out

lyn

pete thats great info thanks....i sat at those table playing bingo...so sad its all gone now

lyn

Back