• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1960s cars

The irony of that is that my new Toyota has a continuous variable transmission as first used in the DAF cars.
The only thing in common with those two transmissions is the name, the how it is done is completely different and for very different purposes. The new CVT's are designed for emission/environmental/ecconomy purposes the DAF version was low cost but did not work too well particularly in the rain!

mwOnjm, the early engine pads were basically solid rubber (natural) as there really was not any synthetic materials. The solid material really got pounded when big engines were started, particularly diesels with high compression. Eventually the mounts were converted to a form of hydraulic support and absorber.
Jaguar lifted the oil filled engine mounting idea from buses and stationary engines.
For the XJ 12 in 1994, Jaguar was obsessed with mounting as much as possible to isolate the body.

I tell you what they did do, leave a skid marks as long as you liked from the tyre spin it one belt broke.
Nasty little job replacing the belts, as me how I know about tyre spin and a belt change.
I remember working on those 'DAF 55' cars. The transmission was a rubber belt running between two sets of conical drums that moved in and out by suction. The DAF Variomatic comes to mind. Awful things.

I've got the CVT transmission on my Nissan Qashqai 1.6 petrol. Had autos for many years and driven semi autos and fully auto's on PCV's. As a very low mileage user, 2500 miles per annum, I find that the fuel consumption is very poor at 21 mpg, also the noise when accelerating hard is very loud. Did a long run a couple of times and the MPG certainly improves to 40 ish. The 2 litre Peugeot 308 auto I had previously achieved app 45 mpg even on low mileage, unfortunately the damn thing sat too low and I found it too difficult to get in to.

Wow, that’s rea
I've got the CVT transmission on my Nissan Qashqai 1.6 petrol. Had autos for many years and driven semi autos and fully auto's on PCV's. As a very low mileage user, 2500 miles per annum, I find that the fuel consumption is very poor at 21 mpg, also the noise when accelerating hard is very loud. Did a long run a couple of times and the MPG certainly improves to 40 ish. The 2 litre Peugeot 308 auto I had previously achieved app 45 mpg even on low mileage, unfortunately the damn thing sat too low and I found it too difficult to get in to.
Wow, that’s really low mileage especially for an imperial gallon. I would expect a lot more like the 40 ish. I would have someone look at how your transmission is shifting!

Exactly...……...and today the automakers continue the obsession with NVH, noise vibration & harshness. And oh yes, there is under hood beautification!
Under hood beautification a large plastic cover with some silver stipes and a badge.

The man I served my apprenticeship under George Garrett good guy forever broke had four boys.
But new his " stuff " when it came to Rolls Royce never owned a car rode the bus to work and smoked Park Drive.
I would give him a ride home a lot, but he did not know how to open the bonnet on a Mini.

I just wonder how important that plastic cover is ?.

Under hood beautification a large plastic cover with some silver stipes and a badge.

The man I served my apprenticeship under George Garrett good guy forever broke had four boys.
But new his " stuff " when it came to Rolls Royce never owned a car rode the bus to work and smoked Park Drive.
I would give him a ride home a lot, but he did not know how to open the bonnet on a Mini.

I just wonder how important that plastic cover is ?.
Only to the carmaker. What it also does is keep the owner from working on their own cars, lets the dealer get all of the business.

Only to the carmaker. What it also does is keep the owner from working on their own cars, lets the dealer get all of the business.

Not really, it's an important part of the noise control/sound deadening, my 2 litre diesel Citroen runs much quieter than a lot of the earlier stuff which adds greatly to the comfort of car use, it also comes off with a simple pull if I want to get at the works beneath.

Not really, it's an important part of the noise control/sound deadening, my 2 litre diesel Citroen runs much quieter than a lot of the earlier stuff which adds greatly to the comfort of car use, it also comes off with a simple pull if I want to get at the works beneath.
I agree, as stated earlier all of this stuff is a part of the NVH initiative, noise vibration and harshness. The Underwood beautification all works in unison.

Wow, that’s rea

Wow, that’s really low mileage especially for an imperial gallon. I would expect a lot more like the 40 ish. I would have someone look at how your transmission is shifting!
I'd say that most of my mileage is taken up with 2 mile journeys, Grandkids to School and the weekly supermarket trips. The engine barely gets warm and I always have the aircon running, add the use of electrics including lights and wipers as it's rarely stopped raining recently, then low 20's in a petrol auto is about what I'd reasonably expect. The cat rarely gets hot so the engine revs also tend to be on the high side when on tick over, unfortunately this increase in revs is intended to heat up the cat quicker and reduce pollutants unfortunately it also increases my fuel consumption. There is also a sport mode on the gearbox which holds the gears longer but I never use this, problem is my using the kickdown also increases the fuel consumption, perhaps I should start using sport mode rather than kickdown.

I'd say that most of my mileage is taken up with 2 mile journeys, Grandkids to School and the weekly supermarket trips. The engine barely gets warm and I always have the aircon running, add the use of electrics including lights and wipers as it's rarely stopped raining recently, then low 20's in a petrol auto is about what I'd reasonably expect. The cat rarely gets hot so the engine revs also tend to be on the high side when on tick over, unfortunately this increase in revs is intended to heat up the cat quicker and reduce pollutants unfortunately it also increases my fuel consumption. There is also a sport mode on the gearbox which holds the gears longer but I never use this, problem is my using the kickdown also increases the fuel consumption, perhaps I should start using sport mode rather than kickdown.

Not a particularly detailed enlargement but is anybody able to identify/date these vehicles, the original is dated 27/10/65 but this could be incorrect. Thanks

Attachments

• parklane12part.jpg
    parklane12part.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 42
I remember working on those 'DAF 55' cars. The transmission was a rubber belt running between two sets of conical drums that moved in and out by suction. The DAF Variomatic comes to mind. Awful things.

My gen 4 Prius has CVT drive but it's got no belts etc, it works by the sun & planet system which is completely smooth from standing start to maximum speed. I think the Auris hybrid however uses steel belts running over cones

My Seat Ateca is a 2ltr diesel auto with double clutch gearbox & gear changes are really smooth. I`m getting around 50mpg in winter & about high 50`s in summer. I wish they were not doing away with diesels.

My Seat Ateca is a 2ltr diesel auto with double clutch gearbox & gear changes are really smooth. I`m getting around 50mpg in winter & about high 50`s in summer. I wish they were not doing away with diesels.
They aren't doing away with diesels/petrol. If you buy a new one on the day before the ban comes in, it should last you the rest of your life.

Back