• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1960s Car Insurance

Bradford and Bingley Ins Co, Still have the docket somewhere for my Morris 1000 with split everything! Why do you ask Oisin?

Thanks Bob.
thumbsup4kk.gif
It's just to fit in with a bit of historically based fiction I'm planning.

Phil Hart insurances Newtown Row 1960 he then moved to Sutton Colfield I was with them for quite a few years.
He was the Phil Hart Birmingham speedway rider

P.M. Hart also had offices on Stratford Rd in Sparkhill after the moved from Newtown Row. We insured our lorries with them from the 60's in Newtown row until the 80's when on Stratford Rd. We took the original policies out with them because they were cheaper than anywhere else, but by the 80's they were the dearest and so we moved on.

Phil

Bradford and Bingley Ins Co, Still have the docket somewhere for my Morris 1000 with split everything! Why do you ask Oisin?

Bob

I have thought you would have used John Spring's on the Stoney Lane, like everybody else in Sparkbrook.

Phil

Phil
I did not have a car when I lived in Sparkhill, I do remember the agent on Stoney Lane, but we moved to Kingshurst in 1965 with the Morris 1000 and then I lived in Jersey from early 68 to late 1969 and there bought a French car for my surfboard.:cool:
PS Got the wrong name of my 1st Ins Co. it was Huddersfield and Bradford Ins Co. but I was close 1st time. :beam: Sorry OISIN

Hart Insurance has an office at the Yew Tree, i think it may be "Tiger" Hart`s son running it. Len.

In the mid 60's I worked as agent for a very big Birmingham insurance company, was top on sales, and I took out a fully comp car insurance with myself. My wife had an accident with the car and wrote it off. The police said that there was a defect on the car, nothing to do with the accident, and my insurance wouldn't pay out! :headhit: I left that company sito presto.

I never had my own insurance for the first 34 years companies paid for it:)

Hewlett and Sumner in Moseley Village, comprehensive for a learner driver £6 although that was still a lot in those days.

Was anyone else caught up in the big insurance swindle by Emil Savundra?

He headed the Fire Auto and Marine Insurance Co, I think it happened about 1963 or there abouts. What a time that was, we were all running round trying to get our cars re-insured.

Hewlett and Sumner in Moseley Village, comprehensive for a learner driver £6 although that was still a lot in those days.

My dad was with that company, they were agents for Cornhill one of the few that would insure motor bikes. I used them for my bike from 1949. Have used the Cornhill in recent years.

Was anyone else caught up in the big insurance swindle by Emil Savundra?

He headed the Fire Auto and Marine Insurance Co, I think it happened about 1963 or there abouts. What a time that was, we were all running round trying to get our cars re-insured.
Also caught in the craven collapse in 67. Only found out they had gone when i had to present my details to the Police after having a bump. Turned out the Taxi company i worked for also had cover for the drivers own cars so no fine.
icon7.gif

I used an agent on the Pershore Road, Stirchleyish. Think his name was Jackson.
Later used Hewlett and Sumner in Moseley Village.
Ted

From 1958 and for many years the Co-Op was my choice. Their agent called at my home and collected the premium. Even though I was in the RAF in those days I knew the cost and left the money with family for his collection.

Back