• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1958 Birmingham scenes

Hi Eric, I've not seen those before, brilliant. Health and safety would have a field day with the chap painting the lines also police in abundance, you don't see that now. John

I've just sat and watched it, it goes on to part 3 & 4 then on to 'nostalgic photos' all very interesting.

You're right about the health & safety, not a hard hat or high viz jacket to be seen.

Great footage. The two poor old traffic policemen could only afford one white coat between them !

Remember the men painting lines - I think he’s sprinkling sand over the wet paint. Is that right ? Viv.

I think he's putting tar/pitch into the gaps between the blocks and chucking black sand over it to stop it sticking to the traffic.

I think that you will find that the man marking out the lines with tar and covering it with sand is marking out the 'pitches' for the market stalls, so that the stall holders will know where to position their stalls on the next market day.

Smiler
(Born and bred in the Bull Ring!)

Back